TCB

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to TCB: The Collector's Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (72) « First ... 70 71 [72]  ( Go to first unread post )  [Add Reply]  [New Topic]  [New Poll]

- The Return of Video Game Progress
weezin_nina
Posted: Dec 6 2011, 03:24 PM
 [Quote]

Stinky garlic

Group: Member
Member No.: 64

Bully was a fun game, I never finished it though. I was really close to finishing it, but got distracted by other things.

I've been slowly working my way through the new Zelda game, Skyward Sword. I ended up just having to watch René play through it completely so I can see how it ends. It's pretty awesome. I just wish I can get to playing it again myself to do epic collecting! But it's damn finals week here and ugh.... *procrastinate*

--------------------
user posted image
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]  [Yahoo]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 12:53 AM
 [Quote]

Living vicariously through himself

Member No.: 4

I stopped playing Bully shortly after I started and have only picked it up once since. Mainly just dealing with an assortment of other things, so I can see why you didn't complete it. It's a good game, it just doesn't grab you in and make you want to play through it. More like it grabs you enough to divert your attention long enough to find something that interests you more.
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
Marcelo X
Posted: Dec 14 2011, 02:19 PM
 [Quote]

godless and lovin' it

Member No.: 10

I've been mostly focused on Final Fantasy XIV Online, it's such a great game now that they've fixed it. It's basically like Final Fantasy XI Online, minus the years of grinding to do the smallest things and you no longer need a group to do things, it can mostly be soloed, which is awesome. ;)
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 01:41 PM
 [Quote]

So they took out everything from FFXIVOWTFBBQ that made it the same as all other MMOs (grinding, relying on strangers to steal your stuff) and turned it into an actually fun game?

Somehow, this is too good to be true.
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
Marcelo X
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 05:55 PM
 [Quote]

godless and lovin' it

lol it almost is too good to be true, they started in the usual Square-Enix style, which means, this is FFXIV, if you don't like it, go fuck yourself. Then EVERYONE (well almost) said screw that, in this day and age, if you don't give us what we want, we walk, and most did. So Square-Enix was like, oh shit, dude, everyone is leaving/gone. This will be a total failure, how can we prevent this, hmmm, let's ask everyone on the forums to tell us what would make this game awesome and let's do it all, but first, everyone that made this game, you are off the game now, fired or relocated, bring in a new team that will not care about the old FFXIV and make the FFXIV that fans want. Took almost a year to get great, but I actually enjoy MUCH more than FFXI now. MUCH more.

That was the Californian version of how shit went down. lol

Some changes I don't agree with, like getting rid of all the +2 and +3 and only having +1 now, gay. But most changes, like a personal chocobo that you can call anywhere except dungeons and towns, make the game sooo much better. Also they dropped the leveling limit, that's right, in the old FFXIV they would limit how much exp you can get during a time period, any further enemy killing after a certain point would make each battle pointless, not anymore lol I can go up 1 level in 8-10 leves now WOOOOOOO (leves are like mini-quests designed to give you money and exp and gear, so you don't have to grind on monsters EVER) - plus behests and all that good stuff. It's an awesome game now. ;)
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Dec 16 2011, 07:00 PM
 [Quote]

If only everything in life were that malleable, right?

I played Final Fantasy X for the first time. I got up to this point twice and both times the controller stopped working. I absolutely hated the game up to that point anyways, so it's a good excuse to give up and never try it again.
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
Marcelo X
Posted: Dec 21 2011, 02:52 PM
 [Quote]

godless and lovin' it

Up to that point? That was the intro, most of the game is nothing like that part. Just download the iso (the european ffx is the best choice, japanese International version is the 2nd best choice since it's fully in english) - play it on an emulator, that way you can play it in a much higher resolution and you wont have that issue anymore. Don't miss out on one of the best FF games just cause you have a messed up version.
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]
 [Top]
Collector
Posted: Dec 21 2011, 04:23 PM
 [Quote]

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So PS2 emulators have gotten to the point where they work well? I haven't tried one in a while.

FFX had a couple of things that rubbed me the wrong way, but I did like it better than 7 or 8.

--------------------
"If I have any more beaver trouble, you'll be the first to know!"
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]  [AOL]  [Yahoo]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Dec 22 2011, 02:01 AM
 [Quote]

For your birthday, Marcelo, I will not give up! I won't give up on Final Fantasy 10! You've made be believe. You've turned me into a believer. I'm listening to the Monkees song in your honor.

I am mostly serious about that. If I might be sober for a moment, what makes FFX worth sticking around for? What really makes it so mindblowing that it's better than a story about the end of the world thanks to an evil clown or a story about the possible end of the world thanks to a clone or the story after the end of the world thanks to some sort of time traveling anti-"impertinent fool." Or whatever Final Fantasy Tactics' plot was really about.

I am once again open to receiving this game and its story. I just practice a healthy dose of skepticism, and would like to hear a couple things that impressed you, so that I may decide if I could agree with those ideas enough to allow myself to have FFX impress me with said blah blah blah. I lost my train of thought there but it should be enough there. kthx.
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
Collector
Posted: Dec 22 2011, 03:29 PM
 [Quote]

Boss
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I will point to the battle system as something I liked. It's an improved turn-based system rather than the ATB that the previous 6 games had.

Summons work differently than any previous game.

Of course graphically it's far better than 7-9 (1-6 not being comparable).

Story-wise, there's religion and ... the meaning of life? I won't say more.

I think there's nothing mind blowing about it, but then there's nothing mind blowing about the first 9 games if you're over 15. It's just solid.

Also, with voice acting, you'll find that two of the characters are Bender. (Additionally, you have Grimlock/Odie/Orson Pig/Mysterio, Batgirl/Raven/Bubbles/Twilight Sparkle, Spongebob/Starscream/Plastic Man, and Big Mac - beloved constable and best friend to Ronald McDonald.)

--------------------
"If I have any more beaver trouble, you'll be the first to know!"
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]  [AOL]  [Yahoo]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Dec 23 2011, 01:45 AM
 [Quote]

All of these are valid points for possible impression, except summons being different.

I'm just not sure if they are enough to make me interested. From my lack of FFX knowledge, I might be able to compare whiny kid Tidus with whiny kid Cloud. The difference being, FF7 spoilers, Cloud was a reluctant whiny kid, with all the adopting Zack's personality and wanting to live up to Sephiroth and typical parent issues, (I guess you could say,) in comparison to cocky whiny kid Tidus. I would say most stories rely on the audience sympathizing with the main character(s), and in FFX, I just can't sympathize with an ultra popular dude. That's mainly why I gave up even before the glitch and used it as an excuse. "Hey, are you done trying to say you can actually spoil something about FF7 on the Internet? Because I think you are."

I might also say there's a difference between giving up and giving a rating without completing a reasonable amount of the game. If I played and became disinterested, that's fine in my opinion. If I played and gave up, then blasted the game, that's quite another thing. I played and mainly got bored. But I'm still willing to be a believe-ah, maybe.
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
Marcelo X
Posted: Dec 29 2011, 05:39 AM
 [Quote]

godless and lovin' it

To add info without spoiling the game, it has a...touching ending... And summons are more effective in ffx than they are in the previous games, although the summons in ffxi are the most useful in battle.

Collector, oh yeah, ps2 emulators run the final fantasy games flawlessly in full speed, the only problems are with X-2, for some reason the fmvs in that game are glitchy. Ffx, ffx-2 and ffxii look amazing in 1920x1080.

Also fans have translated ffxii international and someone is currently translating ffx-2 international into english, so those are other reasons to play them on an emulator.
 [PM]  [Email]  [Site]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Jan 18 2012, 04:15 AM
 [Quote]

All of the above statements are fair, and perhaps I will try playing FFX again in the future.

In the meantime, though, I've distracted myself with Pokemon Emerald. At first, it was just for shits and giggles, because I was feeling sick and really couldn't do much of anything. I played for a few hours, then a few more, and then a certain brilliance hit me. It could be a sickness-related delirium where I am super-imposing adult pathos onto the dialogue in a kid's game, or it could actually be there.

For any other game, I'd mark this with some spoiler tags, but lol pokemonz, so I'll go ahead: shortly into the game, you find out that your dad is a Pokemon trainer and gym leader. After going about your adventure and becoming a Pokemon trainer in your own right (in other words, you become a man), you are eventually led back to his gym to challenge him (to show that you are a man of worth). There are little hints along the way that you'll be doing this, including people telling you that your fighting style reminds them of him, and little this's and that's. When you finally reunite with your dad, there that certain "father meets son for the first time in a while" subtext that is very clear to me, because I lived it. (Tron Legacy has another example.)

user posted image

The thing that really keeps me going with the game, besides the extremely complex element system, is this fascination with the dialogue. In my opinion, if a game allows you to come up with phrases such as "I AM A LOUSY FRIEND" and "I AM AN AWFUL PARENT" with a certain number of pre-defined words, then I really think there's something for the kids and adults in this one. I might compare it to Avatar: The Last Airbender, where there's enough for the kids and adults.

user posted image
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Mar 16 2012, 10:20 PM
 [Quote]

I stopped playing Pokemon Emerald shortly after my week shut-in my house ended, getting to Fortree City before using some sweet cheat codes to get to Lilycove City with several Mews and encountering only level 15 Blastoises. (Sorry, I grew up with Pokemon. I was amused.) I lost interest shortly thereafter, so maybe I will pick up from my pre-cheat save file and finish out the rest of the game properly, since I did make it more than 2/3rds of the way through, playing normally.

Other than that, haven't really played any games lately. Packed the Playstation 2 away, though after this weekend of re-organization, I should be able to set it up again. But we'll see how that turns out...
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
ie
Posted: Aug 20 2012, 08:01 AM
 [Quote]

Now that I'm more settled in, have a TV, and all of my game consoles set up in one location, (the games are stored in double-stacked dressers,) here's what's new:

My brother is playing through Shadow of the Colossus while I doodle.

I was playing Bully for a while, and am about 14% through. I didn't start the game with my brother, so instead of asking him to sit through about a half hour of cutscenes, I'm thinking about playing Tim Schafer's Full Throttle instead. What better way to learn to become a biker, amirite? wink.gif
 [PM]  [Email]
 [Top]
« Next Oldest | Gaming and Collecting | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

[Topic Options] Pages: (72) « First ... 70 71 [72]   [Add Reply]  [New Topic]  [New Poll]

© 2001-2012
Mighty links: Final Fantasy Origins - Amazon.com - Play-Asia.com

Play-Asia.com - Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions!

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive