Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

PM Bug FIX!!!
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Oct 14 2005, 01:15 AM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Group: 20
Member No.: 29

Okay, so basically, here's the deal. Don't use the 'empty PM' option in your private messenger inbox. The fix...unfortunately has to be fixed by Kaishi herself...but here's basically the steps. Essentially it lets everyone have unlimited private messages but...hey, whatever, right? It fixes this problem which is a bug apparently several other forums have had.

Getting a lot of PMs lately? Here's a fix:

To set it so that suers can store unlimited PMs in their inbox:
1. Go to your Admin CP and click on Manage User Groups which will be on your left under Users and Groups.
2. Click on the Edit Group link next to the group that you want to have an unlimited amount of storage space.
3. Scroll down to "Max. Number of storable messages?" under Global Permissions.
4. In the box type 0. (the number, not the letter - you can alternatively leave it blank but if you re-enter it will show a 0)
5. Scroll down and click on the Complete Edit button.

*sigh* Blargh.
LadyMakaze
Posted: Oct 14 2005, 01:19 AM

Savage Intent.

Member No.: 32

Yeah, this problem has been bugging me for a while as well @_@ Thanks d0dd!
Kaishi
Posted: Oct 14 2005, 04:40 AM

KUZE & PANDA 4EVER

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

So, you basically want me to make it so that everyone gets unlimited Private Messages, correct?

I'm sorry, but no. Judging by all the members of the forum, the forum will become really slow. And, even if it doesn't happen when I "fix it", it will someday when the forum gets 100+ members. A laggy roleplaying forum is a sad sight, indeed.

The root of the "problem" is a feature I've added to the board. It copies all messages that the user has sent to the "sent messages box". Usually, forums wouldn't do this, and as such, on a normal forum you wouldn't have any messages you yourself have sent unless you checked a nifty little box.

Delete all of your sent messages, clear out your PM box, etcetera. Or, uncheck the box everytime you send someone a message. Not that hard to "fix". ;)
LadyMakaze
Posted: Oct 14 2005, 04:46 AM

Savage Intent.

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Kaishi @ Oct 13 2005, 09:40 PM)
Delete all of your sent messages, clear out your PM box, etcetera. Or, uncheck the box everytime you send someone a message. Not that hard to "fix". ;)

Problem is, the pm system seems to count messages that are basically, well...non existant. Checking both boxes over and over again to make sure both sent items and recieved items are empty, it says I still have 17/50 messages stored, or something around that number.
Kaishi
Posted: Oct 14 2005, 04:49 AM

KUZE & PANDA 4EVER

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Oh, now I see. Fine, we'll try the whole limitless PM storage box idea. If the forum slows down too much, I'll go back to what we already have. :P
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Oct 14 2005, 06:15 AM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Member No.: 29

Sadly, as pain in the ass as it may get, it should be okay. Honestly, to reduce the amount of slowdown, it seems to be fine when you MANUALLY delete your messages, and not use the auto-clearout option. So if we all just manually delete the messages after, say a week, we should be fine. Just manually clear it out every week. :)

asano
Posted: Oct 15 2005, 04:42 PM

15-year-old Sex Buddha, bitches! PWNED! <3

Group: Members
Member No.: 58

Well, the other forums I use have unlimited PM box size...so...
The site didn't have any slow down, and they have 500 some members. Sure, only say 50 MAX are incredibly active, but still...a couple months ago I hit 1000 PMs [yes, you read that right. 1000!], and there was no slow down.

Then again, that's Proboards, so they may just have a better system...but, still...
This shouldn't be a problem. I think.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Support/Suggestions | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0520 seconds · Archive