Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

God-modding, What the hell IS it?
Swoosh
Posted: Aug 13 2005, 09:24 PM

Unregistered

Yes. In accordance to this game, what would count as GMing?

(me and Peri are arguing.)
LadyMakaze
Posted: Aug 13 2005, 09:34 PM

Savage Intent.

Group: 20
Member No.: 32

To put it bluntly, unrealistic invulnerability to death or injury. It would basically be like dodging every single bullet that comes toward you, or taking a hit at point blank without dying or at least suffering some sort of SIGNIFICANT injury. So you know, dodging bullets on OCCASION is acceptable, but really, be realistic. :P

These are high school students, not bullet-dodging laws-of-space&time-defying people from that Matrix movie or whatever. Even though death is by choice or random chance, be realistic when deciding whether or not your character should get injured from the delivered blow and to what degree.

That said, it is hardly fun for the other person when you are on the delivering end of the damage exchange and you don't give that person any chance ot dodging or defending themselves. Come on. Realistically nobody is just going to stand there and stare while someone aims a shotgun at them. In real life, they would have time to react. So in that this kind of RP, at least go for the realism and give them some time to react.

That's it, rant over. I'm gonna get my pizza now. >_>
Swoosh
Posted: Aug 13 2005, 09:41 PM

Unregistered

Ah haaa. So we were both kind of right, but I guess Peri was more right than I am.

But say, there was a confrontation between two people, and one of them like, grabbed the other and, I don't know, shot them in the arm or whatever without even letting the other person have a word in. Is that allowed? Is there a name for that?
LadyMakaze
Posted: Aug 13 2005, 09:50 PM

Savage Intent.

Well you can ATTEMPT to shoot their arm, but keep in mind several factors such as:

-the distance between them, is there enough to aim a gun directly at the arm?

-if they're moving. During a struggle, when both parties are moving, it would be difficult to keep a good aim

-state of mind. If the person being grabbed is in a state of panic, then perhaps there would be a delay while they struggle to get the gun to fire.

-and others

In other words, you canNOT just say [[ "Person A shot Person B in the arm.". ]] That would be an example godmoding

A better choice would be, [[ "Struggling with his grip on the gun, Person A quickly aimed it at Person B and fired, hoping that it would hit his arm. ]]

Whether it actually hits his arm or how much he is injured and what he does about it is totally up to the handler controlling Person B. So when dealing with situations like these, make sure you give the other person at least a while to react okay?

Or better yet, discuss the situation with the other handler over a PM system or something like AIM or MSN. Then you can plan out what to do without fear of accidentally godmodding. :) Cheers.
MismatchedEyes
Posted: Aug 13 2005, 09:52 PM

Playing

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

Lol I knew that I was more talking about if someone had there back turned and someone shot at them from nearly point blank..Id call it godmoding if that person didnt know the other was going to shoot yet managed to jump and dodge the bullet from the lil to no range and the charecter wasnt meant to suspect.Yes its illegal to kill but wound?
LadyMakaze
Posted: Aug 13 2005, 10:00 PM

Savage Intent.

Yes, it would be godmoding if Person B (the person getting shot), had absolutely NO idea that the gun was being aimed at him at point black from behind, and happened to jump back and dodge the bullet unharmed. Seriously now, what kind of human, let alone a 9th-10th grader has that kind of monster reflexes? :P

However, in this type of situation, it is good to put your imagination to good use. Lets say at the very last minute, Person B senses a presence behind him and turns slightly. The bullet, instead of shattering his spine, lands in his shoulder, wounding him but not killing him.

Or lets say he accidentally trips and falls over flat on his face while walking, missing the bullet entirely, but cracking his head open in the process. Humour aside, that is just one of the many possible ways a character can react.

Another point you have to consider as this: these are 9th-10th graders handling a gun for probably(and most likely) one of the first times in their lives. You can't exactly expect them to have a killer's aim, can you? Just another thing you have to keep in mind.

Gosh I talk too much.
Sephy
Posted: Aug 14 2005, 12:58 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

I think the best way to prevent godmodding is to PM anyone your character is going to get into a fight with and at least having an outline on how you plan the fight to go, not jsut arriving in a thread and saying "Person B didn't now it, but person A had managed to sneak up and was now right behind them and fired" I don't think 9th or 10th graders would be Solid Snake >_>

An example of godmodding by taking control of another person's character would be Gabrielle's death in "chillin' at the waterfall"

My character shot another character, and after me EbonyDear posted:

The shot rang out, and Umi saw as it pierced Gabrielle in the chest. Her eyes widened, and she couldn't believe what she saw.

In this scenario she did have a reason for Godmodding (the RPer playing Gabrielle was no longer avilable to post)
Lien
Posted: Aug 14 2005, 08:46 PM

;_;

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 15

Yeah, otherwise I am pretty anal about godmodding... and if I do happen to do it I should be bitch-slapped. :lol:
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Support/Suggestions | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0253 seconds · Archive