Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Kiriyama debate., Still trying to pass time.
Minase
Posted: Jun 25 2005, 05:56 PM

The Musical Sportsman

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

As we near enough members to begin making a go of this rp i feel myself growing more agitated, so heres another thread to pass time.

I saw the BR movie before i read the novel or manga. I thought at the time (and still do really) that the movie kiriyama was the coolest guy ever, but then after reading the books, i began wishing they had portrayed the real kiriyama in the movie instead of inventing a new one, what do you think?
Kaishi
Posted: Jun 25 2005, 11:10 PM

KUZE & PANDA 4EVER

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I didn't read the book (although I plan to!) but, personally the Manga Kiriyama annoyed me. He was too perfect. He was a genius, he was a superior martial artist, blablablabla. I really don't like the perfect character type, so meh...
I kind of liked the movie one better, even though it seemed that he was lacking something as a character altogether. Maybe because he never said one word...I don't know. He just seemed lacking to me. :P
batspleenfriend
Posted: Jun 25 2005, 11:15 PM

Playing

Member No.: 16

Hi. :D

Well, I read the book first so I'm quite biased in the first place but I have to agree that they should have given him a little more backstory in the movie. The fact that he flipped a coin in the book to help him decide weather or no to play, for me, was one of the most chilling moments. I did kind of like the idea that he was a sociopath because of an accident at birth (a splinter was it?) and that he really had some issues that made him not care that he had just murdered all his friends. That's another thing though too. The scene with his friends (gang...whatever he thought of them as) was really sad. I mean I didn't like the kid at all that kept referring to him at boss but it was still horrible when he died because he respected Kazuo so much. The thing I really missed though were the lines after he killed people. Like the violin kid and it was something about how Kazuo has mastered the violin years ago and had thrown it away.

Although I have to admit that the melodrama was a little overdone in the book (Mitsuko being the best example) but the characters were done a whole lot better.

My biggest beefs with the movie was that they never said Mitsuko's backstory and that (worst of all) they took out Mitsuho Inada. "Crystal Girl" was my hero. :P
Kaishi
Posted: Jun 25 2005, 11:24 PM

KUZE & PANDA 4EVER

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

No, Mizuho Inada was in the movie. She and Kaori had killed eachother (it didn't show their actual deaths, but it did show their dead bodies). They were the ones in the beginning that told one another that they'd always be friends.
...Shows what BR can do to people, doesn't it? :P

Meh, I liked the Manga Lighthouse scene far better than the Movie's. The movie's seemed to be missing that sad feeling that the Manga gave me (mainly because the Manga went into more detail, I guess). I wished that Yuko and Shuya had had their little talk before she jumped off the Lighthouse in the movie, instead of her just running away and jumping off of the Lighthouse. <_<
batspleenfriend
Posted: Jun 25 2005, 11:44 PM

Playing

Member No.: 16

Oh yeah. But she was a little crazy in the novel. A little too into fantasy, like she thought her little knife was surrounded by blue light and magically became a sword when she went after Kazuo. Was she like that in the manga? I haven't read it yet.

Yeah, and the lighthouse scene was little too comedic in the movie with all the "Ow you shot me!" "That hurt for real" moments.
Minase
Posted: Jun 26 2005, 10:52 AM

The Musical Sportsman

QUOTE (batspleenfriend @ Jun 25 2005, 11:44 PM)
Oh yeah. But she was a little crazy in the novel. A little too into fantasy, like she thought her little knife was surrounded by blue light and magically became a sword when she went after Kazuo. Was she like that in the manga? I haven't read it yet.

Yeah, and the lighthouse scene was little too comedic in the movie with all the "Ow you shot me!" "That hurt for real" moments.

I dont think its got that far yet, only 13 of the english translation volumes are out.

And i agree with batspleenfriend totally on the matter of Kiriyama, the whole flipping a coin things is totally cool, and i was really upset with the movie because my favourite bit in the book is when kiriyama kills his own crew, i just think that is a chilling idea, i loved that scene, they all trust him to the end of the earth and he just kills them without blinking, brilliant! whereas in the move...blah.

With regards to mitsuko, thats another character that was butchered, the actor didnt look like her (same as kiriyama) there was no backstory and even her attitude was different, overall another ruined character.

I think the only ones they got right where shuya and noriko, but thats because they were main characters and its hard to accurately portray all the characters in a book as epic as BR, the movie had to be different, unfortunately.

But its still the best movie ever.
Sarigasi Lian
Posted: Jun 26 2005, 05:24 PM

Playing

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Minase @ Jun 26 2005, 10:52 AM)
I dont think its got that far yet, only 13 of the english translation volumes are out.

No, in number 10 that happened.
MooCow
Posted: Jun 26 2005, 05:49 PM

Resident Snuggle Bunny ^__^ ::snuggles with you::

Member No.: 7

To answer the question this whole post is about, I prefer the novel version of Kiriyama Kazuo to the film version. The only problem is, there are many things that can be done to characterize a character in a novel, that simply can't be done in film. The film being the length it was, it would have been near impossible. I strongly prefer the novel in almost all aspects.

As for Inada Mizuho, she has a slightly altered fate in all three mediums, and YES it has gotten that far in the manga. She dies in volume 10.

In the novel, Mizuho outlives almost all of the other students, even Souma Mitsuko, and makes it to the final five where she foolishly attacks Kiriyama Kazuo in a crazy daze in which she beleives she is the Princess Prexia Dikianne Mizuho. It's one of the best and oddest moments in the novel. I thought this worked perfectly having a character we knew nothing about surviving so late into the game because it made the story that much more realistic.

In the film, Mizuho and Minami Kaori kill eachother over a life preserver which they each want to use to try to escape from the island. This was effective for the film version because it showed the effects the program had on friendship. Mizuho's novel demise would be next to impossible to put to celluloid so here it works, but the novel version is still better in my opinion.

In the manga, which more closely resembles the novel, Mizuho dies before Sugimura Hiroki, Kotohiki Kayoko and Souma Mitsuko. She attacks Nanahara Shuya just before he meets back up with Nakagawa Noriko and Kawada Shogo. Shuya escapes and Mizuho is then killed by Kiriyama Kazuo.

One thing the film is horrible at is getting the characters right.

In the novel:

Nanahara Shuya is a much more upbeat and extroverted individual.

Nakagawa Noriko is not a 'shrimpy little nit'. She is not ugly. She is not a nerd. She is not teased or picked on. Noriko is friends with Utsumi Yukie, Tanizawa Haruka, Matsui Chisato, Noda Satomi, and Nakagawa Yuka.

Kiriyama Kazuo we have already covered.

One will be interested to know that the actress who played Souma Mitsuko in the film, Shibasaki Kou, originally tried out for the roll of Chigusa Takako. In the novel, the three prettiest girls in Class 3-B, are:

1. Takako- described as stern with a harsh and severe look.
2. Mitsuko- described as gorgeous with the angelic looks of a pop idol.
3. Ogawa Sakura- described as elegant with a broad forehead and short hair as seen in the manga.

I think Kou would have made a better Takako, she has a harsher, sharper look than the actress who portrayed the character, Kuriyama Chiaki aka GoGo Yubari in Kill Bill Volume I. It is also interesting to note that the actress who played Noda Satomi, Kamiya Sayaka, originally tried out for the role of Mitsuko. It is my opinion the cute and angelic looking Sayaka would have made a much better Mitsuko, true to the looks of the character described in the novel.

Other minor characters also underwent drastic changes.

In the film:

Fujiyoshi Fumiyo and Tendo Mayumi both became bullies in the film.

Tsukioka Sho's sexual orientation was never brought up.

Shimizu Hirono's entire demise was altered, although for once, I beleive that scene equals the original outcome of the novel... perhaps my favorite scene in the film there.

Oda Toshinori's given name was changed to ToshiMori and there was no evidence of him being the spiteful secondary villain he was in the other mediums.

Inada Mizuho's fate was changed as said above.

Ijjima Keita became an all star basketball player who aided Mimura Shinji and lived into the final six students...

Mimura Shinji lived well longer than in the other mediums which in my humble opinion was just hollywood style gloss, and had no real reason to be changed. Shinji and Seto Yutaka's deathes were appropriate and shocking, assuring the readers that no one was safe.
fenix
Posted: Jul 3 2005, 07:34 PM

Playing

Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Kaishi @ Jun 25 2005, 11:10 PM)
I didn't read the book (although I plan to!) but, personally the Manga Kiriyama annoyed me. He was too perfect. He was a genius, he was a superior martial artist, blablablabla.

I was thinking about this for awile (I have such a great life, eh?) and I think I've come to the conclusion that Kiriyama was not the perfected person that it sort of felt like he was. He was mearly willing to kill when most others were not. Almost all of his kills were against people who did not want to fight, and in all the rest of his kills he outgunned his opponent to an extreme degree. I would have to say the hardest thing he did in the movie was his first move where he stole the machinegun, but everything after that was only because he didn't have any problems killing others.

If you watched when he was actualy chasing people down, his aim was horrible and they were able to get into the water. I've never fired a machinegun but I would think that when someone is running even if they are weaving around if you just stoped and aimed you would most likely kill them.
Lien
Posted: Jul 3 2005, 10:44 PM

;_;

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Kaishi @ Jun 25 2005, 11:24 PM)
No, Mizuho Inada was in the movie. She and Kaori had killed eachother (it didn't show their actual deaths, but it did show their dead bodies). They were the ones in the beginning that told one another that they'd always be friends.
...Shows what BR can do to people, doesn't it?  :P

Meh, I liked the Manga Lighthouse scene far better than the Movie's. The movie's seemed to be missing that sad feeling that the Manga gave me (mainly because the Manga went into more detail, I guess). I wished that Yuko and Shuya had had their little talk before she jumped off the Lighthouse in the movie, instead of her just running away and jumping off of the Lighthouse.  <_<

SPOILERS

Kaori was killed, in the book, by Shuya's interference in a gun fight she was having. Essentially, she had already gone insane by then. She started talking to her locket.

For Kazuo, he was in an accident and a splinter killed some nerves in his brain. Chances are, they were his nerves which controlled emotion. I truly wish now that they had portrayed the real Kazuo in the movie, with his twitch. It would be something the book-readers could point out.

Also, Kazuo was very intelligent in the book. The way he killed Sho was ingenious: He fooled him into thinking he was safe and away from a forbidden zone.

I think they could've casted Shogo Kawada better.
Sephy
Posted: Jul 5 2005, 07:24 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Member No.: 18

I think casting Taro Yammamoto as Kawada was a good choice, he can be very funny or deadly serious in the same scene, which I think fits Kawada's character

I love Kiriyama in the film, Masanobu Ando is gorgeous, but I do kinda miss the chracter development from the novel, they turned him into an imperfect Micheal Myers clone in the movie.
Minase
Posted: Jul 6 2005, 12:45 PM

The Musical Sportsman

QUOTE (fenix @ Jul 3 2005, 07:34 PM)
I was thinking about this for awile (I have such a great life, eh?) and I think I've come to the conclusion that Kiriyama was not the perfected person that it sort of felt like he was.  He was mearly willing to kill when most others were not.  Almost all of his kills were against people who did not want to fight, and in all the rest of his kills he outgunned his opponent to an extreme degree.  I would have to say the hardest thing he did in the movie was his first move where he stole the machinegun, but everything after that was only because he didn't have any problems killing others.

If you watched when he was actualy chasing people down, his aim was horrible and they were able to get into the water.  I've never fired a machinegun but I would think that when someone is running even if they are weaving around if you just stoped and aimed you would most likely kill them.

That was the movie version. If you read the Manga you'll see he is pretty perfect. and it can be annoying, but all the charatcers seemed like that, if they werent perfect they were crap.

In my school there is basically no one who is liked by everyone, fancied by everyone and good at everything, in the manga there are three people like this, and several with only one or two of these traits.

Sugimura is far too good at martial arts for a 15 year old, and mimura is so perfect at everything, it's all a bit far fetched. In the book its not quite as bad, because your reading it not seeing it and its toned down, and in the movie the characters are more realistic. The manga is brilliant, but the characters are super far fetched.

Contrarwise, all the characters that werent super heros seemed total bollocks, weak midgets and the sort, no one was 'average'.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0332 seconds · Archive