Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post )

The Official "Bitching" Thread
Nealosi
Posted: Oct 4 2006, 06:53 PM

Playing

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

I was reading what had been posted, just not everything that's posted. It's hard to find out what's what when there are so many different threads with different topics all over the place. It isn't easy to glean information out of it. :(

Sorry if I sound brash about it, but it really isn't that easy for new players to get into everything. I'm sure the pregame roleplaying is great, but it isn't really accessible for players who are just introducing themselves to SOTF. My friend had the same problem, and I've seen many new players that have posted once and then vanished forever.

Granted I still made a mistake, and it's bound to happen, and I'm glad that you've corrected me, sir, but nobody had really mention anything to me until now. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again, but it might, and I'd appreciate it if you keep correcting me in the future. :)
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Oct 4 2006, 09:11 PM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Group: 20
Member No.: 29

Psssst - Lien is a girl.

;)

Lien
Posted: Oct 4 2006, 09:39 PM

;_;

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 15

Damn... and I thought Kaishi would be the only one thought to be the wrong gender...
mitsuko2
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 12:20 AM

Amanda loves you!

Member No.: 115

:lol: Dom't be that way Lien-chan! I mistake Dodd for a girl all the time! :P
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 01:36 AM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Group: 20
Member No.: 29

O_O...

...uh...
Megami
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 04:04 AM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

I'm thinking that Adam, while not a bad looking guy, might not make a very pretty girl. ;)

And so this isn't complete spammage, I wanna bitch about people not reading stuff before they enter a topic. If you wanna roleplay in said topic, read it. Seriously. Otherwise we have the Hobbsborough fiasco again where people are popping into class going "HI EVERYBODY!" when the school's in lockdown. Read, or don't enter. 'kay? I bitched. ^_^
Endless_Helix
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 04:39 AM

The Beast of the Apocolypse

Member No.: 172

Sorry Megami! :(

I won't do it again... I promise...

Anyway- I'm going to bitch about the massive holes in the roleplaying guide. Now I understand that this takes some time away from your characters and your indefinitely more important lives, but it helps noobs like me figure out how not to get murdered in the Program as quickly... Also the search function seems to be malfunctioning for me. It refused to turn up anythng on Adam Dodd or even something simple like Battle Royale.

K, I was a whiney litle bitch...

~Helix
Megami
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 02:57 PM

Princess of Highland

The search function doesn't work for anyone, I don't think. I don't recall it ever having worked. As for the RP Guides *shrug* that was something that we were supposed to work on in our free time, and the sad truth is that most of us don't have a whole lot of that these days -- the majority of us are in school or college and/or working to boot, so any free time we have pretty much gets taken up by other things.

As for the reading thing, I wasn't specifically referring to you. Look back through the "Another Day in Homeroom..." thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. The school went under lockdown and people were coming into/leaving classrooms throughout it, even though everyone should know that you aren't allowed to leave the room during lockdown. It's not so much a big deal in pre-game, but if you walk into a gunfight blissfully unaware of it in the middle of the game, that's not going to sit too well with others.

And about the not getting slaughtered immediately in pre-game... not that I'm specifically talking about anyone, but you could be one of the one-liner roleplayers and still last ridiculously long in the game. Skill has nothing to do with your survival rate, it's all up to chance. Just thought I'd get that out there, for those of you who thought otherwise. It doesn't matter how good or inexperienced you are, everyone has an equal chance of getting rolled.

That's the reason the staff harps so much on people having decent and believable characters. I don't want a bunch of storylines that I won't ever look twice at because the character is so obscenely Sue-ish that it's unbearable to read -- and I say that to you as a member, not a mod. The reason we harp about fleshing out your characters and making them more interesting is because like it or not, that character is probably going to be on the island for quite a while, and nobody wants to read through (and I use this term loosely) "bad" storylines with two-dimensional characters.
Nealosi
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 04:08 PM

Playing

Psssst - Lien is a girl.

:o
:huh:
:blink:
:lol:

Ok, well, that aside I do have to say that I agree with endless_helix about some things. I think it's very difficult for newbs like us to know where to start, being that there are many different threads with lots of stuff going on. Honestly, I did read a great deal before posting, I just wasn't reading in the right places. Maybe if there was some sort of thread to announce pretinent information that should concern RPers. Would anyone else like something like this? Maybe a timeline of events or something.

Just food for thought though. Maybe that would prevent more incients like this from happening. :P

I feel like my use of emoticons today is more explicit then it should be. Just tell me when to stop.
Endless_Helix
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 10:57 PM

The Beast of the Apocolypse

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Megami @ Oct 5 2006, 02:57 PM)
The search function doesn't work for anyone, I don't think. I don't recall it ever having worked. As for the RP Guides *shrug* that was something that we were supposed to work on in our free time, and the sad truth is that most of us don't have a whole lot of that these days -- the majority of us are in school or college and/or working to boot, so any free time we have pretty much gets taken up by other things.

As for the reading thing, I wasn't specifically referring to you. Look back through the "Another Day in Homeroom..." thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. The school went under lockdown and people were coming into/leaving classrooms throughout it, even though everyone should know that you aren't allowed to leave the room during lockdown. It's not so much a big deal in pre-game, but if you walk into a gunfight blissfully unaware of it in the middle of the game, that's not going to sit too well with others.

And about the not getting slaughtered immediately in pre-game... not that I'm specifically talking about anyone, but you could be one of the one-liner roleplayers and still last ridiculously long in the game. Skill has nothing to do with your survival rate, it's all up to chance. Just thought I'd get that out there, for those of you who thought otherwise. It doesn't matter how good or inexperienced you are, everyone has an equal chance of getting rolled.

That's the reason the staff harps so much on people having decent and believable characters. I don't want a bunch of storylines that I won't ever look twice at because the character is so obscenely Sue-ish that it's unbearable to read -- and I say that to you as a member, not a mod. The reason we harp about fleshing out your characters and making them more interesting is because like it or not, that character is probably going to be on the island for quite a while, and nobody wants to read through (and I use this term loosely) "bad" storylines with two-dimensional characters.

QUOTE (Megami)
As for the RP Guides *shrug* that was something that we were supposed to work on in our free time, and the sad truth is that most of us don't have a whole lot of that these days -- the majority of us are in school or college and/or working to boot, so any free time we have pretty much gets taken up by other things.

I know, I'm in college too! :D

I am aware of precisely how little free time is available to those of us who frequent institutions of higher learning. It can be compared to the space of time it takes for a bullet to connect with your flesh...

And on the skill level things, it was more a illustrative comparison to say "survive longer". I was attempting to dramatize the point. I'm a bit of a ham... :P

If you start explaining why I can't have my cake and eat it too, then I'll have to start bitching about the lack of things to bitch about... :D
Queen Asshat
Posted: Oct 5 2006, 11:36 PM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Member No.: 66

I’ll be explicit here and it honestly is no offense to you newbs, but you are not SOTF’s target audience, so I don’t know…I as a mini-mod (although I do storylines…so maybe I am different than most…) am more focused on making SOTF friendly and easily understood by talented RPers rather than people whose first experience RPing is with SOTF.

If this is your first time RPing, by all means it does not mean I (or any of the mods for that matter) will ostracize you, but please understand that we cannot be focused on making things easier for those who are just plain inexperienced, for it makes things a bit boring and tiresome for those who have that experience for everything to be dumbed down for them.

I don’t know…maybe I’m bitching for the sake of bitching, but this is just how I feel about this stuff.

To support my claim I ask you all to look at the FAQ section, the newb question is answered.
Lien
Posted: Oct 6 2006, 12:19 AM

;_;

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Nealosi @ Oct 5 2006, 04:08 PM)
Ok, well, that aside I do have to say that I agree with endless_helix about some things. I think it's very difficult for newbs like us to know where to start, being that there are many different threads with lots of stuff going on. Honestly, I did read a great deal before posting, I just wasn't reading in the right places. Maybe if there was some sort of thread to announce pretinent information that should concern RPers. Would anyone else like something like this? Maybe a timeline of events or something.

Just food for thought though. Maybe that would prevent more incidents like this from happening.

... Pinned topics.
... Previous posts made by other handlers pertaining to the school your character is attending.
... Threads that currently have characters roleplaying in them.

There's your list.

I mean, I don't know how to make this any easier for people to join. It's almost to the point where we'd have to have "big siblings" to ween you into this! Seriously, it's all really common sense to review topics that would affect your character. Not only that, but to keep an eye on where people are recently posting.

For example: I mentioned to people that the cafe is probably a good place to start posting, since there are two active handlers there already. SOTF does not put two threads in the same location silmultaneously, unless the thing taking place is in a secluded part of the area.

I really don't know how new people RP, or what roleplays they've been in. Most of the time they adapt quite quickly, we're not completely foreign in how we run things...

Side note: I may be displacing anger in this right now, bit of a family dilemma going on for me.
Megami
Posted: Oct 6 2006, 03:39 PM

Princess of Highland

I do tend to disagree with Queenie about his views concerning the site. While SOTF is in fact geared toward more experienced roleplayers, we do accept new people with open arms, so sayeth the Head Mistress. Thing is guys, I know what it's like. SOTF was far from being my first roleplaying experience, but it was my first experience in this style of roleplaying. Places that I'd roleplayed at before, you were allowed to control other people's characters and the like, so this open-ended style was a bit hard for me to adapt to (though quite honestly, I find myself liking it better).

We were all new here once, that much, everyone can agree on. I remember first coming onto the site and being wary of posting anywhere because I was afraid I'd skipped some sort of vital information or something. I can see where you're coming from when you say that there's a lot of previous storyline to absorb, even in pre-game. Thing is, you don't have to read all of it. Pretty much all of the "Pinned" topics throughout the pre-game category simply contain background information for the locations.

What needs to be paid attention to are the ongoing storylines. Like I stated above, if you want to enter a topic, reading it beforehand would help tremendously. I understand that some of you don't want to sit through 24+ pages of the "Another Day in Homeroom..." thread. Generally though, when a thread is THAT long, what happens in the beginning is usually a whole world away from the ongoing happenings. Things like Kim's death, though, shouldn't be missed, because it was openly discussed by several characters from about page 6 (that's a guestimate on my part) onward. You'll usually see big events reiterated by a number of characters throughout the posts. That's an easy way to tell if that information is pertinent or not.

We're not asking you all to read every single thread in the pre-game category and recite the happenings therein for us, we really aren't. I, personally, think that following up on a character and reading the entirety of their history causes the large majority of handlers (I've even caught myself doing it a time or two) to "mind-read" (i.e. their character knows information that they should have no sort of access to). I tell you to read topics before you jump head-first into them to get a feel for what's going on, otherwise there's always the potential that you missed something BIG (read: the Jones-Larame death).

It's not so much a big deal if one or two characters are oblivious to what's going on around them, but when you've got a plethora of handlers occupying one place, they should all have access to the same information, therefore, they should all have the same roleplaying restrictions. Does that make sense? To reiterate what I've stated before, the Homeroom thread is a prime example of what happens when people don't read. Lockdown became a joke because everyone wanted in on an active topic but didn't want to research it first. It's sad when it gets to the point that our co-admin has to step in and inform everyone what's going on because they don't want to read the posts.

Roleplaying is sort of a give-and-take thing, if that makes sense. If you don't give people the respect of reading through their storylines and cooperating with them to help continue the storylines, you're going to build a sort of notoriety for not paying attention to details, and in SOTF, that's a pretty bad place to be. If your fellow handlers know that you skim through posts and don't pay attention to what's going on, they aren't going to want to roleplay with you, because they'll feel like it's a bit of a lost cause. I hope I'm making sense here.

Anyway, I just wanted to present my stance on this, because I'm not really siding with anybody here. I agree that there's a lot of information on the site to absorb, and I know that it's a difficult thing to sort through what's important and what isn't. I also agree that if people bothered to read and paid a bit more attention to what was going on, we wouldn't have the problems that we do. Really, I can see both sides of what's going on. Like honestly, if you've read through something and you're still confused, PM me, and I'll be happy to try to clarify stuff for you. However, if I get twenty PMs asking me to recite the storyline in "X" school, I'm probably gonna get ticked off. The staff members aren't here to discriminate against you, we're here to help you -- so long as you're helping yourself as well. I'd be happy to clarify, but I'm not going to reiterate the storyline to save you time. If it's that much of an inconvenience to roleplay in a certain topic, you can always just start somewhere else, ya know? ;)
Nealosi
Posted: Oct 6 2006, 10:44 PM

Playing

Thanks for the input.

I geuss I just had a completely different feeling when I first arrived here. I wanted to just get into it head first, ya know? I did read what I thought was really important, but I admitt I didn't read through most of the pregame story lines. I spent most of my time reading character profiles and stuff from v1 :P .

I didn't want to come off as sounding crass, I apologize if I did, just looking for a little information. I would just like to thank you all for giving me the opportunity. This site is a great deal different from an other RPing I've done in the past, but I'm glad it is, and I'm actually glad if your in anyway displeased with my misconduct. It just shows that your trying to maintain a level of sophistication. It shows that you take care of your site (cue sappy music).

Nevertheless, it was a first time thing and it will not happen again. As I've said before. If I do something stupid feel free to smack me. I'm a sucker for punishment, and I'd love to stick around and RP with everybody in the future.
Cycokiller
Posted: Oct 7 2006, 05:36 AM

Playing

Member No.: 94

*sappy music*

What--no, NO!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Pregame Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0416 seconds · Archive