Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

The Official "Bitching" Thread
Megami
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 01:54 PM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Because IECA's right, we really shouldn't interrupt his recruitment thread to bitch about redundant ideas. It is here that we shall bitch and rag on the things that irk us about SOTF V2, because apparently, venting your frustrations is healthy. Now, to those of you who have just created your umpteenth gay gangsta character, you probably shouldn't read this topic, because odds are, there's gonna be a lot of ragging on you. Consider this fair warning to all of you -- if you take anything in this thread personal (aside from obvious flaming or a fellow member directly stating something like "All of Meg's storylines such and she should just stop RPing!) is on you.

So does this have a point other than spammage? Of course it does. Being someone who I'd like to think has contributed quite a bit to the V2 pre-game, I'd like to know what sort of vibe they're getting so far, and if they're turned off by anything (or turned on but... that's a bit creepy, yeah?) So anyway, express your distastes here. Staffers, this goes without saying, don't spoil V2 plans in here. Everyone else, don't single out handlers by name, don't obviously single out individual members, etc. Enjoy.
Queen Asshat
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 03:38 PM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 66

I'm tired of all your crap Meg! You're just holding me back!

:P
Kaishi
Posted: Sep 20 2006, 12:21 AM

KUZE & PANDA 4EVER

Member No.: 1

I hate how it seems like everyone thinks that gays and gang members are the majority of v2 characters without noticing that they aren't just a gang member or a gay.
Slayer
Posted: Sep 20 2006, 12:32 AM

K08y0-67cv ;f09358234905h4et9069rghop3490t834000y954y-0hnrgu83ty

Member No.: 28

That's the actual problem though, the fact that people are making that one aspect (ie, being gay, being in a gang, being rich, or being the craziest son of a bitch in town.) the whole focus of their character and not fleshing them out at all beyond that.
Megami
Posted: Sep 20 2006, 12:45 AM

Princess of Highland

Gotta wholeheartedly agree with Slayer on that one. If people fleshed out their characters and took them out of the stereotype that they set them into, people probably wouldn't be so unsupportive of it. We've got several prime examples of characters who are gay or are gang members that aren't stereotyped into that because their handlers have taken the time and effort to expand them outside of THAT context -- look at Bryan Calvert. Cyco's put in a lot of effort to make sure that Bryan has more to him than being a Bloody Fists member. Of the gay characters, I can't really brag on anyone, because nobody is springing to mind that doesn't have that going for them as a HUGE aspect -- if not all of -- their personality. Granted, some people simply haven't had the time or ability to expand on their character, but having them angst over their newest boy-toy or constantly playing up their gangster image isn't doing any favors in the development department. It makes them very two-dimensional, flat characters, and THAT is what I'm against. Although what I'm about to say may be a bit extreme, if you aren't going to put any thought behind your character, why roleplay? This isn't English class, I get that. People do this for fun, I get that. Not like I've made a profession out of it or anything. Thing is, I'd like people to have a little pride in themselves and their work and care about the things they're writing. It makes your roleplaying experience better as a whole if you put some thought and effort into the things you're doing instead of just mindlessly doing it.
Sephy
Posted: Sep 22 2006, 01:23 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

I think maybe it'd help if people didn't mention thier character's sexuality in the profile, speaking as someone who's had several bi and homosexual characters, I personally find it best to create the character first, then if you reveal their sexuality whilst roleplaying it doesn't become the main driving factor of the character.

..sorry if it makes no sense, 3 hours of physical theatre=knackered Sephy.
Cycokiller
Posted: Sep 22 2006, 10:58 PM

Playing

Member No.: 94

Seph raises a valid point; if someone's character just happens to be gay and hasn't had any real issues or key story experiences involving it, there's really no point in saying "oh yeah and he/she's gay." It doesn't add to straight characters profiles either, so why should it add to theirs? In fact, anyone who has a gay/gang character, head on over to wherever you have their profile stored, select the portion of the profile dedicated to their sexuality/gangstaness and delete it (don't save or anything). If there isn't a whole lot left other than that, it might inspire you to add more to it. And if your physical description is lacking, might I suggest drawing a pretty picture of your person and then taking a look at that as you type it. It'll help you not to miss any details you want to make prominent.
Kaishi
Posted: Sep 23 2006, 02:04 AM

KUZE & PANDA 4EVER

Member No.: 1

Oooh... Kay.
Minase
Posted: Oct 1 2006, 11:20 AM

The Musical Sportsman

Member No.: 10

I'm going ot take the middle ground on this one, because whilst yes, in some cases it might be best to keep sexual orientation secret in order to reveal it during roleplay in a delicious twist in the tale, not every real homosexual is secretive about their sexuality, in fact they are very open about it. For someone who has an openly gay character it should be on their profile, because, in short, it is out of 'the norm' and could really affect your characer, you can't say all gay people are the same as straight people they just enjoy different types of sex, because thats rubbish, homosexuality can be a whole lifestyle for some people.
Shula
Posted: Oct 1 2006, 04:25 PM

Playing

Member No.: 144

I'm going to have to agree with Minase on this one. While the sheer repetitiveness of the topic is highly annoying, one of my own characters focuses on sexuality (Or, well, lack thereof). My Adrian was based on a person I know, and his insistance that he DOESNT' like poeple at all is completely pervasive in just about everyting he does. Even so, I'm still considering killing him off because despite the fact that he's "oppposite" of all the gay characters, he's still essentially from the same mold and thus just adding to the problem. (and because he doesn't do anything....thus the killing off, instead of revamping)
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Oct 1 2006, 10:02 PM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Group: 20
Member No.: 29

Don't feel you need to kill your characters off because they fall into a stereotype. You can always write them out of that stereotype when they get on the island.
Lien
Posted: Oct 2 2006, 05:05 AM

;_;

Member No.: 15

Which brings up my current problemo I wish to bitch 'bout.

Talked to a few of you, and it's obvious we've got some issues with inactivity. Now, instead of hearing something about some ways to deal with this, or hey, I don't know, posting, it tends to be along the same lines as, "I don't know what to do with *character*, they've been there for so long and so much has happened in the roleplay that I can't pick up!"

Uh. Just a thought, don't mind me or anything, but you just happen to control the characters you created. So, honestly, as soon as you stopped roleplaying, your character has been sitting there frozen in time. Nothing has happened to your character that would prevent you from posting. What do you want to do? Consult your character and ask them, "What have you been up to while I've been gone? Want to pick up where I left you, or do you want to sit on your ass some more?"

Most people went inactive around the same time, and, here's no surprise, the handlers that were roleplaying with the said inactive either stopped roleplaying themselves, or moved on and then went inactive (some people excluded, but not many, so if you think you're safe, consider the last post you've made before I posted this). Weird, ain't it? Actually, not really, if you've been in a roleplay inactivity can cause a chain.

So, with all due respect, get off your ass and start doing something. And if you have a specific reason that really does have to be taken care of and you've no time for posting... there's an "away" thread.

Yes, fucktards (I mean it in the nicest way... actually I've been itching to use that word in a post, so it's not really aimed towards anyone, it's just a really neat word), a nice little area where you can post any problems that may keep you from being active. So do it.
Megami
Posted: Oct 2 2006, 03:16 PM

Princess of Highland

To add on a bit to Lien's rather... um... blunt post, I realize that a lot of your characters are in the middle of a storyline with someone who's just completely disappeared off the face of the earth and will probably never be seen on the SOTF boards again. Guys, if you're tired of your character being tied up, and you're tired of waiting somebody, by all means write your character out of that storyline and take them somewhere else. Don't feel like your character has to go inactive because Handler X hasn't posted in 2 months -- if they haven't, odds are, they aren't going to. If you want to leave the thread incomplete, and start a new one saying "The next day..." by all means, do that. If Handler X returns, they've no right to be mad, they're the one who tied you up for two months.

She's very right about inactivity being a chain reaction. One handler goes inactive, essentially tying up a storyline for those involved. Those handlers are kept from posting and eventually lose interest -- their characters in turn go inactive -- bigger and bigger and bigger. And we're definitely experiencing that right now. You know, for that matter, if you're really, REALLY worried about it -- as a staff member, I'd be more than happy to take control of Character X just long enough to cut them out of the current storyline so that you can continue roleplaying, and I'm sure many of the other staff members would too (so long as she with the red name has no objections to that, of course). Just let us know, and we'll try to help you out. S'what we're here for.
Nealosi
Posted: Oct 2 2006, 04:08 PM

Playing

Member No.: 170

On that same note I'd just like to ask. When are things going to pick up again, and is there anyway we can get people to start posting more before starting V2?

I haven't had any opportunities to RP yet, not to say I haven't tried, because of the fact that nobody else seems very active or interested. That can also be attributed to the fact that it's hard to jump into anything that's already been going on for a while. That's why I think it would be great if we had some sort of storyline that is more like a meeting ground that people can jump in and out of for their liesure. They could RP a little, find a storyline they liked and go RP with someone else.

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in starting something like this (a RP meeting place, like a lunchroom sort of thing, where any characters can just talk a bit) but I can't find anyone to RP with anyway so I'd help start it.

Tell me if I'm being an idiot. Am I being an idiot? :blink:
Lien
Posted: Oct 2 2006, 11:55 PM

;_;

Member No.: 15

Smart thing to do would be to read what's been posted before you, Nealosi, m'boy.

If you had, you'd have noticed that Hobbs had a death at the school, and now has a few days off. Best to go out to the cities or maybe establish how his homelife is going.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Pregame Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0689 seconds · Archive