Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  ( Go to first unread post )

The Valentyn Syndicate, A gang of sorts
Megami
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 03:55 PM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

There are four schools going into V2, not three. :P The problem with your "My characters don't know anyone except certain people" thought process stems back to V1. 2/3 of yours are at Hobbsborough, yeah? Them not knowing people from Franklyn/Bathurst/Gilroy is totally understandable. What I'd hate to see happen is that they don't know anyone from their homeroom, because if you've sat in class with someone all year, odds are, you're at least gonna know their name. That was a problem in V1, we had all these kids running around from the same school who didn't have a clue who their fellow classmates were.

Back on topic. My argument against the gang thing isn't necessarily that I'm sitting here groaning and going "Oh my God, ANOTHER ONE?!"... even though that's true, honestly. My argument against the gangs is that regardless of whether or not the handler plans on using them in the context of the game, the fact remains that all the other handlers who had characters in that school are forced to acknowledge it. Just because everybody wants to experiment with this gang thing, it means that people like myself, Theseus, Baby_G, etc., etc. have to roleplay in a school full of gangs and thugs -- which not only doesn't fit the time period, but doesn't fit a lot of the characters.

So my main issue is not that you want to do it, it's that I get stuck having to work around it. While I do agree that in the big scheme of things, there aren't *that* many characters who are in gangs (or gay, for that matter), it's the fact that when there's a big gang fight in the middle of the hallway (read: Bathurst) or when we've got loud homosexual angsting going on (read: Gilroy, Hobbs, etc.), it becomes something that the rest of us can't, shall we say, ignore. If it's happening somewhere where our character is, we have to acknowledge it and work around it (and before you counteract with "no you don't!", everybody here who writes more than a paragraph per roleplay -- no offense intended to anybody -- does and will, because otherwise you're shutting out part of the storyline).

So what are our alternatives? We don't like all the gangs so we uproot our character, move them to a different school, and destroy all the relationships and storylines they've formed -- why? Especially when it's for a character that won't even participate in V2. As for the gay issue, there aren't a lot of gay characters, persay (well there are, but...), it's the fact that out of the eleven I can think of off the top of my head, nine of them go to Hobbsborough and like seven of them are in the same class, and I'm sorry, but I don't ever remember having a large majority of homosexual people in my class -- not that I have a problem with it, one of my best friends is gay, it's just that it's not very realistic, especially in high school. This is a big generalization on my part, but most people don't come out until they're older and more comfortable with themselves, and being fifteen/sixteen years old and a sophomore at a public school that's merged with a Catholic school, well. Do the math, yeah?

At the end of the day, I guess that's what really irks me about the recurring themes we're seeing in pre-game. While some people do play it out and give their characters more of a personality than "I'm in a gang!" or "I'm gay!", several people aren't. I think a great example of people who have fleshed out their characters is Cycokiller. I know that personally, when I think "Bryan Calvert", I'm not thinking "Ugh, just another gang member". He has a personality and interests outside of that, you know? He likes Muay Thai, he's friends with the school custodian and helps him out during his free periods, he's got a thing for Tori Jefferson. A lot of characters, though, there's not much outside the context of that one aspect of their personality/life, and it becomes their entire personality/life.

Plus, like I said, when 12-13 active (semi-active, whatever) characters share that trait and it pretty much encompasses their entire being, it becomes overused and incredibly annoying really, REALLY fast. Here's what I'm getting from several of the characters: "Boy 1's in a gang." "And?" "And... he beats people up and has a bad temper!" or "Boy 2's gay!" "... And?" "Well, he has a crush on Boy 3!" "... So he's gay?" "Yeah!" There's nothing outside of that aspect. My friend Nick's gay. And? He's very popular, very well dressed, very outgoing, has a lot of guy friends, plays sports, is in his third year of college and working toward getting his degree -- there's so much more to him than "Nick's gay." You're hindering yourself by keeping it in that aspect.

Anyway, I thought I'd bring up my points on why I dislike the gangs and all the homosexual characters in V2, because I seem to be advocating so strongly against it. The main point of this rant is this: most of the characters aren't established beyond one single aspect, and all the people around them have it forced upon them and have to work around it. It's not about the characters themselves, so much, it's about the fact that everyone else has to work with them, and the way it's going, I'll be blunt, it takes some of the fun out of it.
Lien
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 06:33 PM

;_;

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 15

Well, Megami gave you a hint on how to round out characters. It's all about the presentation. ^_^

Plus, none of us are trying to be like, "That's completely lame and we're going to argue while you dig your grave! WAAAAAAAA!"

No.

We'll help you out if you ask, if you're not sure if your character is rounded out and everything. Just, you know, ask.
I-eat-cute-animals
Posted: Sep 18 2006, 11:18 PM

Moskau, Moskau, Throw your glasses at the wall.

Group: Members
Member No.: 140

QUOTE (Kaishi @ Sep 14 2006, 02:14 AM)
I'll have to disagree with you somewhat, Slacker. There are a few characters not being used for the main game, and that doesn't make them "useless". Every post using that character is used to improve a person's writing style, and/or to give them a chance to try something (most of the time new for them) out. That's another one of the many purposes of Pregaming...find what works best and what works worst for each character, weed it out, transfer some of your ideas to another character in the case of you finding Character A to be quite rubbish, and yeah.

Go for it, Cute Animal Eater (you don't eat snuggle bunnys by any chance, d'you?). If you'd like to back off of your idea, that's fine, too, or use your character concepts for the alternative universe roleplay that Cyco's planning. Anything's fine by me, because, you know, not all of these characters we're seeing in Pregame are going to transfer over to v2 and be automatically approved. When the Mafia types start pouring in, you know they're going to be hassled for it to the point that hair's going to be ripped out. Keep that in mind that you're going to have to argue against me for your approval of any sorts like that.

Thank you kai, Like I said I'm just poking a dead animal with a stick here, if you want to bitch about it, bitch, but by all logic why not bitch in someone elses RECRUITMENT THREAD, I just wanted to see who's in, not who thinks this Idea is ubsurd, unethical, and other junk.

The gang thing may be tired, I admit, but I'd like to see what's making so many people join them.

(Note that the next paragraph may be offensive, so before you start flaming me for this)I don't bitch about all the fags, Skanks, sluts, geeks, criminals, pointless fights, and early deaths in the pregame.
So Don't bitch about this.
I don't mean to offend but sometimes being completely original isn't everything, I mean sure, I won't name my character SSJCLOUDSTRIFE!!!!!!!!!111123456666788888888890000000 but FF7 was still a damn fine game.
Same goes with this, I won't completely copy off of someone elses character sheet, but sometimes I will be tempted to get a closer look at an Idea.

(<_< Uhh Kai, if I said yes about your snuggle bunny question would I be in trouble?)
Megami
Posted: Sep 18 2006, 11:56 PM

Princess of Highland

Member No.: 71

If it were me, and it surely isn't, I'd want to know if people liked the idea or not, because if they don't, then nobody's going to read your threads, or want to participate with your character, or anything of the sort. Also, I'd like to point out the sheer hipocrisy in the post you just made.

...if you want to bitch about it, bitch...

I don't bitch about all the fags, Skanks, sluts, geeks, criminals, pointless fights, and early deaths in the pregame.
So Don't bitch about this.

But, my my, weren't we just told we could "bitch" about it if we so chose, as long as we didn't do it in YOUR recruitment thread? Originality IS important, because quite frankly, I don't think anybody here wants to read the same redundant scenarios with the same copycat characters over and over and over, and that's inevitably what it all becomes.

And, due respect, and this is just my own personal opinion -- not as a member of the staff, not as anyone in particular, simply what I think as a member of this site -- I think that perhaps you, along with many other members, should focus on the characters they've created and plan on using rather than creating redundant, mundane characters that will never make it into V2 -- and this one's of your own accord.

Now, although I admit that it's a bit off-topic for the context of this thread, pre-game discussion is a good thing, and you've had a whopping two responses to your gang recruitment, neither of whom had characters attending Bathurst, so I'm thinking that if you go through with this "gang" of yours, you might want to re-vamp it, because it doesn't make a lot of sense to have non-Bathurstians in the Bathurst Syndicate, now does it?

Not to mention, that the Syndicate happens to have formed itself on Hellbirds territory -- and of all the clichéd, overdramatic gangster movies I've ever seen and stories I've ever read, I'd say that it's a fair assumption to make that a rival gang in Hellbird territory = a big no-no. Sort of contradicts with the current plot that other handlers have already established, now doesn't it?

But as I said, if you want to do it, by all means go for it. Whether anybody shows interest in it -- or completely abhors the idea -- or is completely indifferent to it altogether -- it really doesn't affect YOU as an individual. So go for it, you know? It doesn't matter if anyone else on this entire forum reads the topic, so long as you get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

Points stated. Having said my piece, I don't really care what you do, because I won't allow it to affect my characters that much. The only reason I felt the need to respond to this is because there's no need to attack your fellow handlers for collectively having a different opinion than you. And yes, maybe people jumped down your throat for creating the umpteenth gang in SOTF V2, but that was them stating their opinion, and I don't take kindly to being told to "not bitch" about something.
Queen Asshat
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 12:03 AM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Member No.: 66

(Execuse me but if you're a senstive ICEA and cannot take a joke...this post is not for you...)

(Posted Image)
I-eat-cute-animals
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 12:59 AM

Eesh, you people don't know when to lay off, I don't see any point in this flame-fest, I just simply requested that you do not bitch in my thread, if you want to bicker, go ahead and aim me, but I request a not so hostile sense of writing.
You may infact bitch/flame/rant in this thread, I just would prefere you wouldn't, if you asked me to keep out of your threads, I would feel more than obliged, otherwise if I can't be in a give & get situation(As in you giving me a little mutual respect, and me to you.), I'll post whatever I want whenever I want, wherever I want.

Gaia seems like a better RP inviroment atm, And that's actually saying something.
Queen Asshat
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 01:14 AM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Copy -> Paste into Word -> F7 -> Copy -> Paste into "Post Reply -> Submit.

I mean it's not that hard...
I-eat-cute-animals
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 01:36 AM

Ehh, for the most part, I understand what you're saying, cept you left out a beginning, please explain what we're supposed to be copying?
Queen Asshat
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 01:38 AM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Your post. Your post that has the spelling only a chipmunk with down syndrome could create, that's what you copy into word. Didn't think I'd have to SPELL it out for you.
I-eat-cute-animals
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 01:47 AM

Big deal, listen man, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but you're acting like an ass, a lifeless one at that.
If you really have nothing better to do than post around in a thread provoking those who post in it, I really pity you.

Now if I may say so myself PLEASE quit picking at a situation that's only going to get worse if not left alone.
Slayer
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 02:01 AM

K08y0-67cv ;f09358234905h4et9069rghop3490t834000y954y-0hnrgu83ty

Member No.: 28

IECA, Slacker, both of you cut it out. This senseless bickering is doing nothing but inciting a flame war and derailing the topic. Now I suggest that you two simmer down and get back to the topic at hand, you've both been warned too.
I-eat-cute-animals
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 02:03 AM

Thanks Slayer.
Lien
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 05:34 AM

;_;

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

::hitting fists on tile floor::

You guys make me smile.
I-eat-cute-animals
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 05:38 AM

Sick men who naturally hang around their rooms in their underwear usually do, eh Lien?
Lien
Posted: Sep 19 2006, 06:08 AM

;_;

No, that generally makes me do this:

::vomit::
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Pregame Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0346 seconds · Archive