Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

If we could have members New and Old Take A Look, We Have Here, A Survey.
Lien
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 05:10 PM

;_;

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 15

Please answer as truthfully as you can, this will not be anything more than information gathering for the staff on this idea. We'd like as many public answers as possible, but if you want to answer in private, just go ahead and PM me with your answers. On with the poll!

P.S. Anymore questions about this will be answered shortly, but if you don't understand any of the questions feel free to skip.

1) Would you want to submit characters' profiles to be reviewed by moderators before V2 comes around, and get an idea of what you would need to do with the character if it needed work?

2) After the character is reviewed, the reviewer (moderator) says that this character is barely passing the mark for approval (meaning yes it probably would be allowed), but gives you suggestions to improve on the character. Would you follow some/all/none of the suggestions?

3) Would you be willing to also have your character reviewed to be scaled for a roleplaying attraction score (meaning an idea of how many people would like to roleplay with your character(s))?

4) If your character(s) were to get a low rating or be found to not be accepted, would that offend you in any way that would have you withdraw from the roleplay, or lash out at moderators and/or admin?

5) Considering your own opinion and those of your peers, do you think that this "mock approval" idea should be launched for the prospect of V2?

6) Should the roleplaying attraction score also be started?

7) Do you think this differs from the critique threads we've already had in pregame?
Sephy
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:17 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

1) Would you want to submit characters' profiles to be reviewed by moderators before V2 comes around, and get an idea of what you would need to do with the character if it needed work?

mostly yes, but it would depend on the moderator, as I feel some mods would be much harsher then others.

2) After the character is reviewed, the reviewer (moderator) says that this character is barely passing the mark for approval (meaning yes it probably would be allowed), but gives you suggestions to improve on the character. Would you follow some/all/none of the suggestions?

Some.

3) Would you be willing to also have your character reviewed to be scaled for a roleplaying attraction score (meaning an idea of how many people would like to roleplay with your character(s))?

yes

4) If your character(s) were to get a low rating or be found to not be accepted, would that offend you in any way that would have you withdraw from the roleplay, or lash out at moderators and/or admin?

no.

5) Considering your own opinion and those of your peers, do you think that this "mock approval" idea should be launched for the prospect of V2?

It seems a good idea, but would have to be monitored carefully to make sure no arguements in the vein of "your character sucks! well, your does too!11" broke out.

sure

7) Do you think this differs from the critique threads we've already had in pregame?

yes.
Shula
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 07:32 PM

Playing

Member No.: 144

yes, definitely awesome idea

Whatever suggestions I would agree with, I would follow, be it all, some, or none.

yes, that would be helpful to me

of course not, unless the rating were somehow a flame...but that's highly unlikely

yeah, I think it's a good idea all around

unless V2 is due to start very shortly (as in, not long enough to get any pregame RPing in) then go for it.

Yes, mostly because the critique threads aren't saying whether the profile is an acceptable one or not. Sometimes suggestions are given, but that doesn't really mean anything as far as "is it good ENOUGH?"

Well, that's my two-cents worth. ^^
Aphrodite.
Posted: Sep 1 2006, 08:17 PM

Prettyful Princess of the Male Variety/ Aspiring Graphic Maker

Member No.: 143

1) Would you want to submit characters' profiles to be reviewed by moderators before V2 comes around, and get an idea of what you would need to do with the character if it needed work? Yes, defininitely. I would love to have help on making my character ok for v2.

2) After the character is reviewed, the reviewer (moderator) says that this character is barely passing the mark for approval (meaning yes it probably would be allowed), but gives you suggestions to improve on the character. Would you follow some/all/none of the suggestions? I would certainly follow the majority of the suggestions, but if some are going against the character's setup, then I wouldn't follow them.

3) Would you be willing to also have your character reviewed to be scaled for a roleplaying attraction score (meaning an idea of how many people would like to roleplay with your character(s))? Probably, although I'd be scared to have a reaaaaaaally low score.

4) If your character(s) were to get a low rating or be found to not be accepted, would that offend you in any way that would have you withdraw from the roleplay, or lash out at moderators and/or admin? I wouldn't withdraw from the roleplay or lash out at moderators, but I might be a little upset. Not necessarily offended, but upset about them not being good enough. Then I'd get over it and make it better!

5) Considering your own opinion and those of your peers, do you think that this "mock approval" idea should be launched for the prospect of V2? Not sure, but I'd definitely be willing to try it out.

6) Should the roleplaying attraction score also be started? See #5.

7) Do you think this differs from the critique threads we've already had in pregame? Definitely. It's more drawn out and very helpful. With the other critiques, it's just opinions that may or may not even be needed. Of course, myself included, if you didn't want the opinion, you wouldn't ask for it.
Megami
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 02:21 AM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Although this almost seems redundant, I'm answering this as well, mainly because as a moderator, it seems like many people are afraid to point out the flaws in my characters, but believe me, they have just as many as everyone else's. I could have a complete Sue on my hands and run the risk of nobody pointing that out, so I'd like some honest opinions by the staff.

1) Would you want to submit characters' profiles to be reviewed by moderators before V2 comes around, and get an idea of what you would need to do with the character if it needed work? Yes.

2) After the character is reviewed, the reviewer (moderator) says that this character is barely passing the mark for approval (meaning yes it probably would be allowed), but gives you suggestions to improve on the character. Would you follow some/all/none of the suggestions? Considering we mods aren't going to tell you all that you have to completely revamp your character in order for them to be accepted (in MOST cases, mind you), I'd follow the suggestions I felt needed to be heeded.

3) Would you be willing to also have your character reviewed to be scaled for a roleplaying attraction score (meaning an idea of how many people would like to roleplay with your character(s))? Yes.

4) If your character(s) were to get a low rating or be found to not be accepted, would that offend you in any way that would have you withdraw from the roleplay, or lash out at moderators and/or admin? Yes, I'd hate you all forever and never speak to you again. Just kidding. :P

5) Considering your own opinion and those of your peers, do you think that this "mock approval" idea should be launched for the prospect of V2? Obviously, I think it's a great idea. I know if it were me, and hell, I'm putting mine out there too -- I'd want to know if my character was going to be accepted or not rather than run all the way through pre-game only to find out that he/she is just a little below minimal standards.

6) Should the roleplaying attraction score also be started? Yes, though as I brought up with the staff, I think that each staff member should score individually and the handler be presented with the average, because we all judge differently.

7) Do you think this differs from the critique threads we've already had in pregame? Yes. The critique threads focus on the opinions of your fellow members. This would focus solely on the opinions of the staff, and they're the ones who have the final say in whether or not a character is approved.
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 03:13 AM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Group: 20
Member No.: 29

Yeah, I'm always up for that kinda dealy.

A few, likely.

Yeah, definitely.

Yes, I would lash out against the administrators and moderators, complaining as hard as I possibly could. Then I'd delete the accounts of anyone who stood in my path.

Yeah, we might as well.

Yeah, why not?

That it do.
LadyMakaze
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 03:34 AM

Savage Intent.

Group: 20
Member No.: 32

Sure thing, I'm definately up for that sort of thing, particularly if it means improving the way I roleplay certain characters and such.

Well, really, it depends on the suggestion. If I feel that those suggestions in particular would be able to help my character in any way, then I'm all for it. Though if I feel it doesn't add much to the character itself or detracts from it, I might be compelled to throw in some of my own ideas for improvement.

This is actually a good idea I think, so yes, I would be willing.

No, however I would be offended if the note of disapproval came without good reason and/or if it was in the form of a flame or a bashing. But no, I would not lash out at staff or withdraw from the roleplay even for that reason.

I think its a good idea and should put into action. Cause seriously, it would be a real shame if all of these characters with such great potential just don't make it past the approval process due to the fact that they have scant bios and such. A mock approval will give handlers a chance to improve on their profiles before submitting the best of their work for approval.

Yes, though only at request of the handler.

It differs because instead of individuals forming their own opinions on the quality of certain characters, this form of critique is based on something of a standard that is to be acknowledged by the staff, so that no biases over certain characters come into affect when critiques are delivered.
laZardo
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 04:43 AM

Unregistered

I thought that's what we did for pregame.

Yes, but only some, as long as it didn't totally compromise the overall spirit of the character. Which I fear somewhat.

Kinda, if only by a committee (thanks to combined overall experience), as obviously a single review by a single person does not reflect the opinion of the entire community.

One word. RAMPAGE! :lol: But seriously, my characters need about as much work as the Deutsche Bank building.

Iunno. You?

I'll go with what the people think on this one.

I actually thought we should have just added critiques directly into the character profiles, but that's just a tiny non-admin's opinion. n..n
Megami
Posted: Sep 2 2006, 01:51 PM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

I'm sort of going off-topic, but I wanted to point this out. The thing with critiques is that they're the other members opinions of what could stand to be added on/improved upon/fleshed out on your characters. When I, personally, do character critiques, I'm asking myself "What would make this character more interesting to me?" and not necessarily, "What would make this character more likely to be approved?". Lots of the fleshing out and details people ask for aren't necessarily going to make a huge expansion on your profile.

Not that I'm saying that all the characters are horrible and need to be expanded upon drastically, because I'm certainly not saying that. I'm just saying that going from "Fred doesn't like dogs." to "Fred doesn't like dogs because he suffered a severe dog bite at the age of three." isn't going to make that much difference, overall. The people responsible for doing the mock approval would be staff only, not members. When it comes time for the actual approval, we'll be the ones doing that, so what we tell you now should be heeded a bit more than character critiques.

Plus, we're brutally honest, and many of the members aren't for fear of stepping on your toes or feeling like they shouldn't be judging you -- if that makes sense.

I do, however, agree that this should be done collaboratively on the staff's part, which I've mentioned before in a discussion with everyone. I think that each staff member should do an individual "mock approval" stating their solitary opinion of the character and an individual attraction score, I think they should all be posted, and then I think the handler should get their average on the roleplaying attraction score and an overall critique synopsising flaws and errors that multiple staff members have pointed out.

That way, the members can see what everyone is thinking individually and cumulatively.
Queen Asshat
Posted: Sep 3 2006, 02:23 AM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 66

Well, whilst this sounds like a great idea in theory it strikes me to have very little difference to what a moderator does when they approve profiles and has seen by most of them is tell the user what they need to improve on ( this being a general example of what I mean and what most likely would occur if the profiles get reviewed), while this sounds good if a character is said to have little problems with the moderators then it implies that the character itself if perfect and approvable worthy, thus making approvals meaningless since we’ve already approved them weeks in advanced. So if we’re going to do this I would suggest that characters whom have already been mod reviewed and who’ve changed their profiles be exempt from the mod approvals, soley for the reason that it’s prevent redundancy.

All in all it depends if those suggestions directly effects my character to the maximum extent. I admitably probably wouldn’t acknowledge most of these suggested changes unless the appealed to me greatly or where along the lines of “Elaborate on this…”

Not really because I think that encourages clique ness, for example we’d have millions of people saying that they’d adore role playing with Burton Harris, but very little saying they would want to RP with Jack Russell, because of the stylistic differences and the general acclaim some characters get I think that this would hurt new Rpers more than help them and formal whose character is the bestest!!11!!1 topics should be avoided, it only encourages further segregation from other Rpers and only serves to inflate or deflate the egos of all Rpers, something that will only lead to several “I’m better than thou” complexes on the boards.

Well I’d naturally be upset, but no, if the reasons why my character was denied where presented to me and gone into detail I would not be offended.

I don’t think the opinion of my peers have anything to do with my own, but I honestly cannot find any use of this thing other than being redundant.

No, see Question #3.

Well honestly I would prefer something along the lines of the general community coming up with consensus for the characters, simply because the moderators are human aswell and thus biased by nature. Also there comes to the point on who would judge the moderators, I mean really there is no one who can. I mean does it make sense for the ruling class to point out the errors of the ruling class? How can the people who set the standards be subjected to have a fair chance of serving the standards, since really those standards are made by them and subjective from moderator to moderator, so with no direct standard made we’re mostly on a case by case basis with each character, which means if a mod just doesn’t like your character (let’s say it incorporates a cliché that the mod doesn’t like/thinks is overused), you’re basically fucked.

With the critique thread the entire role playing community is giving their opinion on your character and as well all know one can be a member and still have wonderful valid suggestions for someones character.

So maybe if everyone was involved in this mock approval idea it’d be better and less redundant, but if it’s just the mods…well the difference between it and the actual approval is…well zero.
Theseus
Posted: Sep 4 2006, 06:29 AM

There are many sides to a story

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 34

yes I would, any way to help me improve my characters

I think I would follow all of it, because I will strive to improve my characters

Yeah I actually like that idea a lot just because it would help a lot of people know how likeable their characters are, and that way it sort of pushes them to improve.

ha no I wouldn't be offended, I would just take the advice and everything and improve as best as I could and submit it again :D

Yes I really like the idea, so I think it should be
Yes I do
Yeah but just because this wouldn't be like an open thing where everyone pitched in ideas and reviewed your character, this would follow a guideline on approving characters and what not.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Pregame Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0321 seconds · Archive