Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Mixed Thoughts., Helping me with my roleplaying.
Aphrodite.
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 01:10 AM

Prettyful Princess of the Male Variety/ Aspiring Graphic Maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 143

Is there anything in particular that I realllllllllllllllly need to work on? I haven't written much on the site, but I'm feeling self-conscious for even putting my writing out in the first place.

Maybe I'm using too many verbs or adjectives and not at all focusing enough on dialogue? Am I being way too dramatic? Do I god-mode to some oddly horrible degree? Any input is welcome as I really wish to improve in any way I can.
Cycokiller
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 05:01 AM

Playing

Member No.: 94

Look Afroman, if everyone RPd the exact same way, not only would it be asthetically flawless, it would also be ridiculously boring. This forum is about expressing yourself (I think; some people have lead me to believe otherwise) and I say as long as you're following the ground rules, for example no god-moding and so on, it's absolutely fine. Just put in a good amount of effort in every post, even if it's as simple as a yes or no response to a question. Flesh it out a bit, sure, but don't feel like it's never going to be good enough. As long as it's legible, grammatically fair (no one's perfect) and you've thrown some effort in there, it's all good. If you like to focus more on dialogue, do it. Actions? Do it. Thoughts? Whatever man. Have some fun with it and don't be too worried about if it doesn't measure up to Voltaire. Besides, you'll find you get better as you go. It's all experience, mon frere.

Oh oh and get inside your characters head, eh? Always be in character when posting...uh...in character.
Megami
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 05:09 AM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

I'll tell you, I honestly enjoyed your latest with Lee-Ann at Carrington Pointe. The moral in the story was a nice touch and filled the post well. Don't worry about not focusing enough on dialogue, sometimes situations arise where there's genuinely nothing to say (pretty sure I did a 7-8 paragraph post with Whitney a while back where she said like one line). Description is NEVER a bad thing. As for god-moding, nothing that you've done jumps out in memory. You've got the basics of "you can't control other people's characters" down, so don't worry about it. If you were doing it, someone would've let you know. Your posts have a tendency to vary drastically in length sometimes, but that happens to every single one of us. It's easier to roleplay when you've got a good idea or when you're working with someone who's provided a lot for you to respond and react to. My advice to you is don't force it, roleplay to the best of your ability, and have fun. We as staff members honestly aren't scrutinizing your every post and going "God, we don't want Aphrodite in V2." I promise. ^.^ Everyone here is at a different level of writing -- some have more experience, some have less -- so don't worry about it. Be comfortable in your writing, and don't worry about people judging it too much. If they spend all their time scrutinizing your roleplays for mistakes, well, that says a lot about them.
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 05:19 AM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Group: 20
Member No.: 29

*mumbles* God, we sure don't want Aphrodite in V2...

;)

I kid.

From what I've seen, you're a-okay by me, man.

And just to all of you guys out there - we're pretty fucking solid around here of having newcomers, accepting them with open arms, and helping them improve their skills. I don't know how other RPs are, but we're pretty good about it. Everyone has their own different way, their own different style. Our members range from probably around 10 to 30, so...don't feel that you have to measure up. As was said - as long as you've got the guidelines down pat, you'll only get better with time.

Just like fine wine.
Queen Asshat
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 08:04 PM

THE ASSHAT QUEEN!

Group: Guide Moderator
Member No.: 66

Yeah, I think you suck and should stop RPing :rolleyes: .
Slayer
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 08:12 PM

K08y0-67cv ;f09358234905h4et9069rghop3490t834000y954y-0hnrgu83ty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 28

Ignoring Slacker for a minute, your posts could be longer, but otherwise you're alright.
Sephy
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 08:44 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (d0ddi0slave @ Aug 24 2006, 05:19 AM)
Our members range from probably around 10 to 30,

Not to mention we have a superbaby 1 year old as admin :P
Aphrodite.
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 08:51 PM

Prettyful Princess of the Male Variety/ Aspiring Graphic Maker

Member No.: 143

Taking everything into stride, I thiiiiiiiiiink I know how I could be much better. Longer posts, a little more dialogue, and even better detail. Thanks muchly guys, I feel a lot better about it.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0465 seconds · Archive