Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Time is of the Essence
Megami
Posted: Aug 23 2006, 03:22 AM

Princess of Highland

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Here's the immediate problem that we face in pre-game, and although it's a minor and almost trivial detail, it can turn into a very big deal if we aren't careful -- the concept of time. I'm in favor of 1.) getting all of the existing pre-game characters into the relatively same time-frame and 2.) establishing a time-frame for the current pre-game. Why? We've got characters that are weeks ahead of others, and that can be quite confusing. All those in favor or opposed, with questions, comments, or suggestions, discuss!
Aphrodite.
Posted: Aug 23 2006, 03:25 AM

Prettyful Princess of the Male Variety/ Aspiring Graphic Maker

Group: Members
Member No.: 143

Definitely. I like that idea. I can't stand not knowing what the weather's like, the day of the week, and all that. Environment is sooooooooooo important.
Cycokiller
Posted: Aug 23 2006, 06:05 AM

Playing

Member No.: 94

Far be it from me to question the astronomic powers of the admin, but how exactly would you go about accomplishing this? Have you...have you found a way to control time??
Megami
Posted: Aug 23 2006, 04:00 PM

Princess of Highland

*Just a lowly mod.*

I just had something simple in mind. One of the staff (presumably myself) could always post a "Forecast" thread or something every time the day changes, telling ya'll the day, the weather, etc. Or we could go even simpler than that and do something like "1 real-life week = 1 SOTF day". Then, you'd know when the day ended every week, and we (hopefully) wouldn't have the problem that we did in Version 1 where people were RPing in the morning and suddenly, BAM!, it's the next day. Of course, nothing's flawless. Doing the latter would probably have negative affects on the members who aren't able to get on the site every day, seeing as sometimes, they don't post in the thread for a month+, and it'd be sort of hard to explain how they spent the past 4 days in a store or whatnot. 'Course, we had that problem in V1 as well. People'd go inactive/be away and their characters would pretty much float in suspended animation for island days. Doing the forecast would give everyone something to work with weather-wise and maybe open up a couple possibilities storyline-wise (drought, flooding, etc.), but setting up a proportional time would be simpler and easier to follow. Or someone out there could have an entirely different idea that never crossed my mind. ^.^
Shula
Posted: Aug 23 2006, 04:16 PM

Playing

Member No.: 144

I like the concept of having everyone on the same page, but I just don't see how it could work outside of the perfect RP world where every player has the same schedule and same ideas (which would probably be a little boring, actually)

I mean, the main issue I'm thinking of is thread length. For example, the thread I was in with Adrian and Kid with Vincent...is less than a page long and took us only a few days to reach a point where continuing it would be weird. On the other hand, there are threads like "Another Day in Homeroom" that have been going on for over two months.

Unless someone has some brilliant idea to countermand this, I just don't see how it would work.
Megami
Posted: Aug 23 2006, 04:46 PM

Princess of Highland

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. IMO, that thread was far too long and shouldn't have been held up like it was. Though there wasn't much of it that actually moved the plot, the majority of it (like page 9ish on) consisted of characters talking to one another out of boredom. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. XD Like I said, time's a problem because not everyone can get on the site to RP every day and people have lives and occurances outside of the internet. That's what happened with the above thread. Lien got tied up in real-life stuff (it happens) and had to go away for a while, and with the current plotline being what it was, it left us all hanging a bit.

But you know, you've got characters who still haven't exited that thread yet (and you know what? I've got one too. :P ), meanwhile, you've got characters who're at the school a week later. It's confusing to me, I can just imagine how confused potential members are going to get over that. And honestly, you DO have to move forward and oftentimes switch days to progress your own personal plotline, we can't allow one person's unavailability hinder our own progress. There are very few characters who are on the same timeline, and the most noticeable difference is the one between schools. Example -- most of the Bathurst kids are in Day 1 Afternoon, whereas the majority of the Franklyn kids are in Day 1 Evening - Day 2 Early Morning. Then there are some people who are just completely out of the loop.

It's hard, if not nearly impossible at this point, to get everyone within the relatively same time-frame (as in like, the same day). The characters who are lingering behind aren't so bad, seeing as you don't have to relay the events that your character underwent between then and the current time. For example, Kaishi did a wonderful job of that recently with Lavender and Erick. She was away for a bit and when she came back, she simply placed her characters in new threads in a more relevant setting, because it seems pointless to post in a thread that's been dormant saying that your character is leaving. That's really not that big of an issue. It's bound to become confusing later on though, especially if and when we get one of those scenarios where a character who's a week ahead of everyone else encounters someone who's on just about the same timeline as everyone.

That's why I'm sort of leaning toward the forecast announcements, much like the regular announcements in V1. At last that way, it gives us wiggle-room, and if there's a thread going on that's in the middle of the story and couldn't be continued into the early morning hours or whatever, I can avoid posting the next day till it clears up. Even then, that's got a lot of problems -- inactivity, for one. People disappear all the time and it ties up threads. Example, Hirono's not been able to log on for nearly two weeks (I don't know the circumstances surrounding that one) and yet she's in the process of roleplaying with three characters who are gonna have a hard time ditching her. Scenarios like that cause issues in decent time progression. Another issue that comes to mind is that it's got the potential to hinder roleplaying on the part of many handlers.

I know that personally, I've pretty much let Ricky and Eric slip into inactivity for the sheer fact that I was trying to let other people (specifically the Franklyn students) catch up to Day 2 morning. I'd hate to hinder you all in your ability to roleplay by telling you that you can't switch days until everyone else does -- especially at scenarios like the sleepover at Marimar's. You can only progress a slumber party so far before you have to do something else. It's not so much a big deal to have everyone on their own individual times -- there's nothing wrong with your character being on Day 2 of their story and running into someone on Day 3 of theirs. When it becomes a problem is when everyone starts getting too far ahead, or when characters who began in the same thread as several other characters (see: Another Day in Homeroom...; How many ways can you define the word "cow"?, etc.) suddenly jump a week ahead of the rest of their classmates.

'Course, as I said before, anything we try to do to establish time is gonna have its downfalls. It's a hard concept to put into practice in a roleplaying site, as Shula said, simply because not everyone has the same schedules. It's gonna affect someone who can only get on twice a week a lot more than someone who roleplays daily -- just like it's gonna drastically affect someone who went off on vacation and couldn't post for two weeks. Some situations, namely the ones where your characters are (or could easily be) out of the way are quite simple to handle, but in certain threads you've got characters who are pretty much the focal point of the thread who've gone inactive (be it temporarily or permanently) and that causes problems to the handlers around them.
laZardo
  Posted: Aug 24 2006, 03:55 AM

Unregistered

I'm at a loss as to the timeframe too, especially considering the IG gap between v1 and v2. Right now, my characters would be acting in the 2005 timeframe. I think it would all boil down to how long it would be between the two SOTFs in-game, be it a few "days" up to a "year" at the most. Then we could alter our RPs accordingly.
Megami
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 03:13 PM

Princess of Highland

That, like so many other things, is an issue in Version 2. Many players have taken it upon themselves to sort of instate the time frame as being during Version 1's Endgame through the course of their roleplays. Really, it's not even logical, because school wouldn't be in session most places in late June (my high school let out at the end of May, for example). Of course, the staff's attempted to counteract this by stating that teacher strikes occurred after the abductions, pushing school further into the year.

I've thought about (with the permission of the administrators, of course) having another teacher strike or something -- which would fit in schools like Bathurst where the students obviously have a lack of discipline or respect for authority -- and pushing the classes even further into summer. It certainly wouldn't be illogical for Hobbsborough to shut down after a girl was murdered in their high school. Problems stemming from that would be Franklyn and Gilroy, seeing as there doesn't seem to be enough school violence or delinquincy to incite another strike. Of course, it could always be something just as simple as having the air conditioner go out.

This crossed my mind because honestly, people don't seem to enjoy roleplaying in the schools. And let's be honest, roleplaying in class is boring, which is why hardly anyone's characters seem to go to class. Inciting another teacher strike or something of that nature would shut the schools down, thus allowing the characters to live their lives outside of high school for a while -- not to mention, when you don't have to worry about the fact that your character should by all rights be in school at 9 am, the timeline doesn't get as screwy, as it really doesn't matter if your day 4 of the week is someone else's day 1. Of course, it would just be a temporary thing, but it's an idea.

And then, everyone's school *should* start back on the same day, so it'd get people on the same page again while roleplaying (or so I hope). 'Course there's bound to be problems, like the fact that many people don't bother to read incidents or occurances in forums and would probably roleplay at the schools even though they were temporarily closed. I dunno, it's just a random thought I thought I'd get out there and run by you all.
Slayer
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 04:38 PM

K08y0-67cv ;f09358234905h4et9069rghop3490t834000y954y-0hnrgu83ty

Member No.: 28

That would work, seems like a good idea. Biggest problem with that though, is that nobody knows when exactly Pregame is. It seems to have been accepted it's the summer of/soon after SOTF, but there still needs to be a foundation. Hell, at least one of the characters doesn't exist unless the Pregame's a year after SOTF, for example's sake.
Shula
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 04:51 PM

Playing

Member No.: 144

That sounds like it could work relatively well. I really don't think there's any way of regulating time without at least a couple issues. But anyway, as for keeping people from posting in the schools if/when they temporarily shut down, you could just close the topics, and then re-open them when the schools themselves are re-opened.

Honestly, I know people have qualms with everyone being on different time frames, but I'm thinking that as long as it's all relatively the same, like, not having people months apart, it's not that much of an issue. I mean, when V2 starts, then say "it starts this month, this day, this time" and then with the announcements you can advance time. Anyway, that's just my opinion; just trying to help. ^^
Megami
Posted: Aug 24 2006, 11:37 PM

Princess of Highland

Really, time's pretty relative in the game. Nobody really knew whether it was morning, afternoon, or evening in V1 because we never knew when the next announcement was coming. I think there's a gap as short as a couple weeks and one as long as a couple months. 'Course right now, it's more of an issue because the characters ARE high school kids, they're supposed to be attending school.

Slayer, I'm not following. Who wouldn't exist? Either way, you're right, the time span between 1 and 2 DOES need to be worked out. On the bright side though, nobody ever said that the kids were gonna be abducted next week. Pre-game just started in the same time frame as Endgame. Nobody knows when it'll end -- though obviously they'll be abducted soon, otherwise everyone'd jump a grade and royally screw up everything.
Slayer
Posted: Aug 25 2006, 12:21 AM

Reese Davies. In his profile it says he transferred at the beginning of tenth grade, knowing Bathurst would be picked, meaning he wouldn't be in Pregame (and thus "wouldn't exist") unless it and v2 happened a year after v1. In fact, I think it would help some of the canon mess if that character were just deleted, but that's off topic. Really, the only way a solid timeline can be established is if we either work our asses off for days on end until everyone agrees, or Kaishi lays down a solid time for when all this shit is happening, since she's the creator what she says goes, both in administration and canon terms. Otherwise, it'll be very difficult to reach a settlement (look at v1 with the announcements, nobody could figure out how much time passed until it was decided each announcement started at the beginning of the day).
Megami
Posted: Aug 25 2006, 03:37 AM

Princess of Highland

Well since Swoosh has hung up her SOTF badge, that pretty much makes the character null and void, doesn't it? He's not really one that could/should be adopted out to the masses simply 'cause he's so tied in with her characters that she's quite possibly the only one who could even come close to portraying him correctly.
Sephy
Posted: Aug 25 2006, 12:15 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Member No.: 18

I know my 3 characters have been out for ages cos I got fdragged away for 2 weeks and when I got bakc didn't have a clue what the time was.

I thnik the problem with the fact people are roleplaying as if it's V1's endgame ia maybe that we're all different nationalities, and I for one didn't know Ameircan high schools wouldn't be open in June, as english schools don't break up until the end of july, slightly off-topic but I really think we need a thread explaining the US high school system for those of us from different countries.
Slayer
Posted: Aug 25 2006, 12:30 PM

No we don't, that's something anyone could just look up.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Pregame Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0324 seconds · Archive