Skin created by Kman of GHQ. Find more great skins at the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Suggestion Box, shake hands with beef!
Cycokiller
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 04:13 AM

Playing

Group: Members
Member No.: 94

Welcome to the suggestion box! My Cyco-sense is tingling, so that means this has probably been done before! I did some leafing through old suggestion topics, and it LOOKS like it hasn't but hey, who the hell cares?? Put your miscellaneous suggestions for v2 here, instead of having to start threads devoted to something as simple as "Hey, how bout the morning announcements also describe the weather forecast for the day, adding a little bit more to work with for RPers than just the terrain!" (this is the suggestion I didn't feel was worth starting a thread for...)
LadyMakaze
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 04:38 AM

Savage Intent.

Group: 20
Member No.: 32

Ahaha, actually, its fine to start any kind of new thread at all in the suggestion box, since oftentimes bringing up a suggestion leads to discussiion as people are compelled to put in their own input and stuffs. So you know, starting new threads for starting discussions on seperate suggestions are perfectly fine, but I suppose this works as well.

Actually, I do remember the weather forecast being included on the announcements being a suggestion that was brought up in the past, nonetheless, this is something to definately think about for v2. I think that it will make things a little more interesting, especially concerning characters' reactions to the weather and such, I do believe that weather reports were made on very seperate occasions in past v1 announcements. However, that was only when it rained after a good part of the island got burned up by molotov fires.

Anyways, this is one to think about, and it would be great to see what others think of this suggestion.
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 05:02 AM

Such a shame that I didn't know by now

Member No.: 29

I say we put a word cap on my posts so that they don't exceed like 4000 words like some of them have.

Actually, that's a terrible idea! XD

LadyMakaze
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 05:12 AM

Savage Intent.

No Dodd! That's an absolutely fantastic idea! Definately one to put into action! No one's ever come up with a great idea like this since Hindenburg!

^^ I'll definately work to make this idea a reality. Thanks Dodd!!

:P
Slayer
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 05:16 AM

K08y0-67cv ;f09358234905h4et9069rghop3490t834000y954y-0hnrgu83ty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 28

Working with that, maybe we could incorporate a minimum length limit to ensure quality? Maybe make it mandatory for all (in character) posts to be at least two paragraphs or something like that? Would really cut down on the one liners.
LadyMakaze
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 05:19 AM

Savage Intent.

Well I wouldn't like to make it mandatory, more like a guideline to be followed, since we do make it a point to accept rp-ers both new and old, given that they make an effort to ensure quality rp-ing. That said, it is understandable how some might find it tiring or challenging to post multi-paragraph posts.

However, if we get too many one-liners, then yes, it is a problem we may need to address with a minimum length. However, that doesn't seem to be so much the case right now, maybe something to consider once we start v2. ^^
Sephy
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 05:24 PM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Member No.: 18

I hate minimum length requirements, the problem is people start putting random crap in to ensure they meet the requirements, I know i'd rather read

"Hello" Bob said to Margaret.

then:

"Bob walked down the grey corridor that had been repainted 12 years ago form Ocean gray to military grey, he saw a red fire extinguisher that has been painted by an ethopian man named George and shipped out to the USA on a boat that also contained several illegal immegrints, as Bob was walking he didn't notice a microscopic bug fly up his nose, he paused as he saw his friend Margaret, he took a breath, the oxygen filled his lungs and was expelled, his brain sent electrical impulses via his nerves, his vocal chords began to quiver in the effot of forming a single 2 syllable word "hello""
Minase
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 06:10 PM

The Musical Sportsman

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Sephy @ Jun 30 2006, 05:24 PM)
etc...

Yeah I agree on the whole, but that only really aplies to really inept Role Players, who are extremely annoying whatever they do. I like the idea for a minimum post word-count a lot, because, using your example, I would hate to read either of those posts. I'd rather something like:

Bob rounded the corner sharply and with such a desperate pace that he almost failed to notice Margaret altogether, as she practically through herself out of his way to prevent all her school files becoming suddenly airbound. At the last second however, just before she went out of his view, he noticed her out of the corner of his eye, and his feet practically screeched to a halt. He saw her flushed, red face and the askew pile of folders in her arms and suddenly felt very rude. Thinking on his feet, and coming up short:

"Hello" Bob said to Margaret.

You see it doesn't have to be random fillers thrown in, just a little thought. I am all for a minimun post word-count, and a little more work on everyones part to ensure the idea isn't a flop.
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 06:20 PM

And who's gonna enforce a minimum word count? Sure as hell ain't gonna be me. :P
Megami
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 06:33 PM

Princess of Highland

Member No.: 71

It's an idea, as always, there's both good and bad sides to it. It would stimulate our more short-posted writers to delve a bit deeper into the things going on around them and really bring out their setting and their characters inner thoughts and feelings, which is always a good thing. On the same note, though, you WOULD have people, like Sephy said, who'd throw in a whole bunch of useless filler just to make it long enough to meet requirements.

On the bad side, enforcing a minimum word count could make it... painful... on a number of our roleplayers. There are people who've been here since the beginning, and Sephy's one of them, who do write short posts, but manage to keep them interesting and tie their character into the story regardless. Some people just don't see the point in writing a 5 page essay over the rock your character tripped over, and although I enjoy vivid and descriptive posts, I respect people who can't, or don't feel the need to, do them.

I guess really, you have both your good and your bad. Short-poster threads tend to sort of drag out, because not much is being said or done on anybody's part, and it's at a very slow pace. In the same breath though, they're a lot more active, because people don't have to take the time to reply to the 12 paragraphs worth of stuff the other character just said and did.

As Maka said, I think perhaps it should be a guideline, but not necessarily a rule.
Slayer
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 04:21 AM

Personally, I prefer the second example, but whatever. Way I see it, all the minimum length would do is ensure quality posts. And if you already do quality posts, it won't even bother you. "If you're not guilty you don't have anything to hide," right?
Sephy
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 09:38 AM

The admin's favourite sextoy.

Member No.: 18

And if you already do quality posts, it won't even bother you.

If it was made a rule then it would bother me becuase i'd have to write stuff I felt was irrelavent into my posts to meet a length requirement, personally I feel that long posts with lots of action are bad for RPing, after all if your character does 10 things in one post that means the next post either has to ignore everything except the last thing, or backtrack, respond to the 10 things your character did then write thier own post of 10 things, which means the next person has 20 character actions to respond to and thier own to write.

Way I see it, all the minimum length would do is ensure quality posts

Quantity does not equal quality.

example: My friend wrote around 7 pages for her English coursework and got a D, I wrote 4 pages and got a B.

Just because someone has a long post doesn't mean it's gonna be any good, and who'd want to read a really long post from a bad writer?

Slayer
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 03:21 PM

Look at all the so called (not as in they aren't really, just they're stated as being so) good posts on this board. Notice a pattern? All the length of a small essay at least. That seems proof enough. But we are sadly dragging this off topic, at least in my possibly mistaken opinion.
Cycokiller
Posted: Jul 2 2006, 04:17 AM

Playing

Member No.: 94

How exactly do you get off-topic in a miscellanious suggestion thread?
d0ddi0slave
Posted: Jul 2 2006, 04:23 AM

I'd just like to clarify something before it gets construed the wrong way - just because a post is long, does not necessarily mean that it is 'good'. Though, the same applies - just because a post is short, does not mean that it is 'bad'.

It's quality over quantity here, people. Everyone's got their own styles - who's to judge what's good and what's not? Nobody, really. And everyone. We'll all have our own opinions, so...*shrug* Let's just leave it at that.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Support/Suggestions | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0321 seconds · Archive