zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition Antics
jamfke
Posted: Aug 22 2005, 06:53 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I cut my teeth on 1st edition AD&D. Well, at least a bastardized version of it anyways. It started with a fellow I met while in grade school. He'd just moved into town and I thought I'd try to make friends like a nice guy. So then we started hanging out, and pretty soon, he started talking about 'this game'.

We started playing on the bus and in between classes using 20 numbered pieces of paper that we pulled out of a 'hat' to do our attacks with. It was so cool to imagine myself in this new world, even though it was so wierd!

So then me and another one of my friends decide that we're going to find the real game books and play it for real! We did, and the rest, they say, is history.

That was almost twenty years ago, now I'm hopelessly lost in the malestrom of role playing. And I love it!

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
SBRPG_HakDragon
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 02:07 PM

Roleplayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

My brother and myself started with the 'red' and 'aqua' basic edition D&D books, the ones drilled with holes for three-ring binders (so you could hide them in your Trapper-Keeper notebook at school). I got the AD&D 1st Ed. DMG as a present for my birthday to use with those books (no PHB or MM, just the DMG - the rest came later after I figured out you needed them too).

We started by creating a huge world for our games, literally an entire kingdom mapped out at 1/5" = 10 feet! The map covered the entire living room floor, and had castles, towns, forests, mountains, desrts, and lakes on it. Some areas even had multiple level dungeons entirely mapped out. The whole thing was done in color, carefully colored with with bright coloring pencils. I remember sending my mother on scavenger hunts for graph paper all over town (it really wasn't that common back then). She even got asked what she was doing with all that graph paper. I have to laugh now, it seems so silly.

Hey, in the days before home video games, kids had real hobbies. tongue.gif

--------------------
Author, Editor, Artist of
SBRPG: The Situation Based Roleplaying Game
Fear the Dragon!
Orgaloth
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 08:33 PM

Brown Coat Rebel Mod

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 5

My cousin got me into D&D some 15 years ago now. He loaned me all the coloured books, and then gave them to me when he got into AD&D. I quickly followed with my friends (My cousin lives on the other side of Australia). I must say I have a modest collection, and we played at school during free periods and at lunch. We even got a couple of teachers involved. Since the D20 version has come out, I haven't played though. I'm not a fan of the system and much prefere 2nd Ed.

--------------------
Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?
SBRPG_HakDragon
Posted: Oct 6 2005, 12:09 AM

Roleplayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

How many people who bought the 3.0 core went out and bought 3.5e books? I haven't, I just don't see the value in it, I guess. Either that, or I just don't play enough D&D socially to justify the purchase. Anyone here on 3.5, and like it better than the 3.0 books?

Personally, I'm fond of the 2.0 rules (or the old old 1st Ed D&D books) myself.

-Hak

--------------------
Author, Editor, Artist of
SBRPG: The Situation Based Roleplaying Game
Fear the Dragon!
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Oct 8 2005, 02:00 PM

Supreme System Underlord

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Orgaloth @ Sep 17 2005, 10:33 PM)
My cousin got me into D&D some 15 years ago now. He loaned me all the coloured books, and then gave them to me when he got into AD&D. I quickly followed with my friends (My cousin lives on the other side of Australia). I must say I have a modest collection, and we played at school during free periods and at lunch. We even got a couple of teachers involved. Since the D20 version has come out, I haven't played though. I'm not a fan of the system and much prefere 2nd Ed.

I used to play back in junior high school... but we'll not discuss how long ago that was. Suffice it to say I've not even been exposed to the colored books. Just straight-up AD&D, and that was so long ago I don't have a clue as to what's out there anymore.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Topic Options

Home Page | NEWForums

Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0483 seconds · Archive