zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Car Wars!, Before video games, there was Car Wars!
SBRPG_HakDragon
  Posted: Sep 22 2005, 11:47 PM

Roleplayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Does anyone else remember this one? Car Wars was one of the greatest counter and map game to come out of the 70's and 80's (besides Squad Leader). The game let you design a car from the tires up, put weapons on it, and deathmatch with other players cars in arenas and on roads.

Desgins were rated on dollar amounts from $5,000 to unlimited class, and you could mount lasers, drop mines, use oil slicks, and put one-shot rockets in your car. The more weapons you put, the less weight you had for armor, which created some cool trade offs. You could design anything from motorcycles to big rigs with the system.

The only bad part of the game was the 10-phase, 1-second turn (1/10th of a second movement phases). To play a 20-second battle between four to six cars, it took anywhere from 4 to 8 hours of play. Also, since the counters were flimsy, sneezes were a big problem.

Anyone else have Car Wars stories?

--------------------
Author, Editor, Artist of
SBRPG: The Situation Based Roleplaying Game
Fear the Dragon!
Teradoxx
Posted: Sep 26 2005, 08:25 AM

RPG Enthusiast

Member No.: 10

I've hears about it, but never played it.

BUT I would like to try it.

--------------------
''My, my; this here Anakin guy, maybe Vaders someday later, now he's just a small fry. he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye, saying soon i'm gonna be a Jedi.''

- Weird Al Yankovic; The Saga Begins.
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 26 2005, 09:09 AM

Supreme System Underlord

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 3

Never played it, but heard about it. I also read a short story by Roger Zelazny that kind of went along with this theme. It was (obviously) set in the future, and the cars were computerized- kinda like KITT from Knight Rider. A big problem they had with some of the earlier models was the computer going berzerk, sealing the windows and vents, then pouring carbon monoxide into the passenger cabing. Then you had these rogue killing machines rolling around. It was a pretty cool story. Would have been a bit o' fun, I suspect...
SBRPG_HakDragon
Posted: Sep 27 2005, 02:00 AM

Roleplayer

Member No.: 4

Shamefully, the original edition is out-of-print (Steve Jackson Games), and it's been replaced by a simpler battle-and-card game. Look for either the Car Wars Compendium or the Deluxe Car Wars set on EBay or at a hobby shop. Bah, whatever happened to all the fun things I used to do? blink.gif

--------------------
Author, Editor, Artist of
SBRPG: The Situation Based Roleplaying Game
Fear the Dragon!
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 27 2005, 03:08 PM

Supreme System Underlord

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (SBRPG_HakDragon @ Sep 27 2005, 04:00 AM)
Shamefully, the original edition is out-of-print (Steve Jackson Games), and it's been replaced by a simpler battle-and-card game. Look for either the Car Wars Compendium or the Deluxe Car Wars set on EBay or at a hobby shop. Bah, whatever happened to all the fun things I used to do? blink.gif

Preach it, brother! biggrin.gif
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Home Page | NEWForums

Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0252 seconds · Archive