Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Boot Hill, Yeehaw! Let's talk about Old West RPGs!
SBRPG_HakDragon
Posted: Sep 20 2005, 11:02 PM

Roleplayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

Since it came up in another thread, I thought I would start a Boot Hill thread here. Yes, I played it, and it was a fun romp with sixguns and shootouts. The game was ultra thin, like with 30 or so pages, but cool (especially with cowboy figures).

It was almost closer to a tabletop miniatures battle game than a full RPG though. One fun part of the game was the recreations of the 'historical' cowboy shootouts, like the OK Corral and others. Another plus were character stats for famous gunfighters and outlaws of the Old West.

So saddle up pardner, anyone else have some cool BH stories to tell?

--------------------
Author, Editor, Artist of
SBRPG: The Situation Based Roleplaying Game
Fear the Dragon!
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 21 2005, 07:38 AM

Supreme System Underlord

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 3

Well, I used to have a BALL playing that game! Yeah, the book WAS thin, but that was one of the best parts about it- it wasn't that complicated! ANYONE could understand and play it.

My friend and I had a couple characters rolled up who were crack shots... It always seemed that we'd go into a town to rob a bank, end up spittin' lead with some gang or other, and when we took 'em down, we got pressed into service as local lawmen. We'd stay awhile, break a couple young ladies' hearts, and set up a robbery that faked our deaths (usually ending up with the destruction of the bank) and headed off to another town.

Man, those were the days!

I did enjoy having stats for the Daltons, the Earps, the James Brothers, and a host of other historical figures. I think that's what was THE best part- having the chance to go up against the best.
jamfke
Posted: Sep 21 2005, 04:28 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

TSR put out a revised version of the game sometime in the early 90s. It was based on AD&D 2nd Edition rules, so it was nothing like the original. I really wanted to get the original, but since I couldn't find a copy I went with this revised one...it never got played.

dry.gif

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 22 2005, 05:53 AM

Supreme System Underlord

sad.gif
SBRPG_HakDragon
Posted: Sep 22 2005, 05:01 PM

Roleplayer

I never touched the revised edition, but I didn't realize it was based off AD&D 2nd Ed. That sounds horrid for a fast-and-fun Old West game. Why? Why! blink.gif

All this talk about cowboys and gunfighters is inspiring me to write something about them for my game (even though we already have a complete cowboy weapons list in SBRPG). We shall see...

--------------------
Fear the Dragon!
jamfke
Posted: Sep 22 2005, 07:51 PM

Supreme System Overlord

QUOTE (SBRPG_HakDragon @ Sep 22 2005, 06:01 PM)
I never touched the revised edition, but I didn't realize it was based off AD&D 2nd Ed. That sounds horrid for a fast-and-fun Old West game. Why? Why! blink.gif

All this talk about cowboys and gunfighters is inspiring me to write something about them for my game (even though we already have a complete cowboy weapons list in SBRPG). We shall see...

Hey, idea here! Why don't you set up a game of yours here on the PBP forum? I'd like to see what it's like! smile.gif

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
SBRPG_HakDragon
Posted: Sep 22 2005, 08:43 PM

Roleplayer

Let me read through your current game here and see if SBRPG would lend itself to that (we do things a little differently than most RPGs). Currently I'm indexing our game (a 500 page book), and finishing up the write-ups for our own playtest previews, so I'm a bit pressed for free time atm laugh.gif

--------------------
Fear the Dragon!
jamfke
Posted: Sep 22 2005, 08:48 PM

Supreme System Overlord

That's cool!

--------------------
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 23 2005, 08:13 AM

Supreme System Underlord

It'd be cool to have a Boot Hill game going here, although I'm pretty well booked up right now. I'd love to get into one sometime though...
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Topic Options

Home Page | NEWForums

Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0264 seconds · Archive