zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Konkret Test Post, Konkret Plays Around
KonkretRoller
Posted: Mar 1 2006, 11:32 PM

RPG Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 35

Hi,

I'm the Konkret dice roller. Never mind this post cause its just a test topic.

Actually, this is not really the dice roller. :) It'd be nice if it was smart enough to write stuff by itself. I'm the creator of the Konkret Online Dice Roller and me and the forum creator have decided that it would be cool if Konkret could roll rolls straight onto the forum. Hence this little topic so I can try stuff out.
Chabit Rane
Posted: Mar 1 2006, 11:33 PM

Advanced Roleplayer

Member No.: 15

I have only one word to say about that:

"Cool."

--------------------
I'm the Lord of the Ninth Pit of Baator
jamfke
Posted: Mar 1 2006, 11:43 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Welcome to the site! Hope we can get this thing working!

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
KonkretRoller
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 12:11 AM

RPG Freak

Thank you!

Alright the good news is that after studying the way the forum works I think it is reasonable to expect that Konkret should be able to mimic an actual user, KonkretRoller, and post a reply, provided it knows where to post.

So in order to use the roller the user would have to provide a link to the 'reply' page for the particular post they want the result to appear underneath. I can see some user friendliness issues here cause it is hard to explain to a user how to copy a complicated looking URL.

But it's better than nothing I think. Issues still remain: forum security stuff might make it hard to automate posting, and I still need to figure out how to fake a login. But I bet I can outsmart the forum given some time. :)

Well my hobby work time is up for today, but I'll return in the next few days for more experiments.
jamfke
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 12:14 AM

Supreme System Overlord

Cool, thanks for stopping in and saying hi. If you need any help on my end, let me know.

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
Tina_D
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 09:56 AM

Roleplayer

Member No.: 27

I'd be... backing up. lol

--------------------
user posted image
The Age of Ahnicus
Create it. Play it. Storytelling Role-play.
jamfke
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 04:26 PM

Supreme System Overlord

That's the coolest feature about this forum host, they back up all their servers at regular intervals. I don't have to worry about it!

--------------------
KonkretRoller
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 10:09 PM

RPG Freak

So while waiting for the forum version of Konkret, jamfke let me know that you guys need a WEG's Star Wars dice roller with the whole wild die thing. I spent some time working with Konkret today and added one. Maybe you guys will like it.

I never played Star War's and I never used any wild dice so I have no idea how its supposed to work. Check it out and make sure it makes sense. Here's the inofficial beta version of Konkret: Konkret Dice Beta.

I'll make it the official Konkret if it seems to work.
jamfke
Posted: Mar 2 2006, 11:32 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Sweet! One thing though, when the Wild Die comes up a 1, you subtract it and the highest die roll of the remaining dice. So a roll of 5, 5, 3, 1 would be a total of 8; (5 + 3 + -5 + -1=8)

Sorry, I must have forgotten to mention that!

Otherwise, it's great! The roll of sixes is perfect!

Is there a way to include the wild die, but prevent it from subtracting the 1 and highest die roll for the other options I mentioned? The Wild Die gives GMs three options. The first is like you already have it. The second option is to ignore the roll all together and just roll normally,and the third option is to total them all up and have a complication occur even if the roll is a success.

Of course, we could just use the World of Darkness set up you have and set it on 6 sided dice, but it would be nice to have a check box like the Drop Lowest Die and Calculate Sum options on what you've created to simply turn off the Wild Die operation or something.

Are you having any problems getting it to post or how we're going to control it in the posting environments? I'd like to help if I can.

--------------------
KonkretRoller
Posted: Mar 3 2006, 12:02 AM

RPG Freak

Hey,

So not only is the highest die ignored in the sum, but also the actual wild die?

This is what a roll might look like right now for me:

4xD6+0: (5) 1 4 1 (Sum: 6)

The last die is the wild die, and since it was a 1, Konkret dropped the highest die, which was a 5. It then added up 1+4+1 for a sum of 6. If I understand you right, what you want is that instead it should both drop the highest die and the wild die?

4xD6+0: (5) 1 4 (1) (Sum: 5)

Am I getting this right? smile.gif

For the second feature, I understand you want an option like "Don't Handle Wild Die of 1" (geez, that's a long name.) and in the above case we would instead have:

4xD6+0: 5 1 4 1 (Sum: 11)

and it would be up to the GM to note that the Wild Die (which is always the last die) was a 1 and that special considerations need to be made. Is that what you mean?

Is there also a third option to just not add the wild die if its a 1 but otherwise do nothing special?

4xD6+0: 5 1 4 (1) (Sum: 10)

I'll look at putting these things in, at the very least I'll fix the problem where the wild die isn't being dropped. And about the forum stuff, I didn't actually have time to look at it today. I wrote this wild die thing during lunch today as it was pretty straightforward. The forum stuff is much more complicated so it needs to wait until my day job is less stressful. smile.gif
jamfke
Posted: Mar 3 2006, 12:18 AM

Supreme System Overlord

Yes, you've got it! Drop the Wild Die and the highest die roll on a 1.

For the second feature, I understand you want an option like "Don't Handle Wild Die of 1" (geez, that's a long name.) and in the above case we would instead have:

4xD6+0: 5 1 4 1 (Sum: 11)

and it would be up to the GM to note that the Wild Die (which is always the last die) was a 1 and that special considerations need to be made. Is that what you mean?

Yes, again, you've got it. Maybe you could just call it "Wild Die off/on" with a check box selector switch.

[quote]Is there also a third option to just not add the wild die if its a 1 but otherwise do nothing special?

4xD6+0: 5 1 4 (1) (Sum: 10)
[/qote]

No, the second and third options are essentially the same thing, just a total of the roll and either use it as is or have complications with a success.

Like 4xD6+0: 5 1 4 (1) (Sum: 11)

Then the GM could decide either to just allow the roll to be normal, or have complications such as, "The blaster shot hits the stromtrooper square in the chest, knocking him down but not out. (Complication)The power pack in the pistol suddenly grows warm and a warning indicator flashes a message that the cell is overloading."

You don't have to do anything special, except maybe leave the Wild Die like you have it in parentheses () but not added or subtracted to or from the total.

Keep up the good work!!!

--------------------
KonkretRoller
Posted: Mar 3 2006, 12:51 AM

RPG Freak

Sounds like a serious complication that all with the blaster pistol!

Alright, so now Konkret Beta drops the Wild Die too if its a 1.

'Wild Die Off' doesn't seem to convey the right message though. I thought that while a wild die value of 1 would be ignored (i.e. not cause values to be droppe), a wild die value of 6 would still be rerolled?

I think I won't have time to do any more stuff tonight but at least something got done. :)
jamfke
Posted: Mar 3 2006, 12:55 AM

Supreme System Overlord

a wild die value of 6 would still be rerolled?

No, just added up with the rest of the dice. Basically a normal roll of the dice.

Like I said, keep up the good work! glassesf.gif

--------------------
KonkretRoller
Posted: Mar 3 2006, 03:38 PM

RPG Freak

Okay, a new Konkret Dice BETA is up now. It does the additional stuff requested: drops the wild die if its a one, or optionally allows you to ignore the wild die altogether in which case it does exactly the same thing as 'System: None', except that it colors the last die pink/purple. smile.gif

I'm going to promote this version to be the official version soon cause I think it works. So you guys mightn't have automatic forum posting yet but at least you have Star Wars rolling!
jamfke
Posted: Mar 3 2006, 09:28 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Excellent! Great work! Can't wait to see if we can get this working on the forums! Have you considered making this into a downloadable file? If so, I would love to place a link for it on the Downloads Page of Roleplayers Direct. If not, I'll still add a link to it in this thread. Do you have a logo or banner ad for it yet?

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Home Page | NEWForums

Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0291 seconds · Archive