zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Introducing Scott Free Press!
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Feb 20 2006, 09:32 AM

Novice Roleplayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

What is Scott Free Press?

Scott Free Press is a small publishing company with big ambitions. It was founded in 2005 by me, Kevin B. Madison, with two goals in mind.
The first was to provide the highest quality of gaming product for the sophisticated and savvy gamer. Sounds pretentious eh? Well, that’s not my intention. I’m not trying to argue that the fine consumers who purchase the products of Scott Free Press are any better or more intelligent than the customers of any other gaming company (although they certainly have good taste). What I am instead positing, is that ALL gamers are sophisticated and savvy. We will satisfy your need for sophistication with intelligent and groundbreaking products that you will not want to put down. We will satisfy the savvy customer in you by packing as much useful and, more importantly USEABLE, material in each product that we can. I want you to be as thrilled to be reading and playing our games as we are to be producing them. Scott Free Press was founded as a labour of love and I want that love of the work to show through in every product we offer for you. That was my first goal with Scott Free Press.

The second goal I had in founding Scott Free Press was to show that even someone as lowly as the publisher of a tiny gaming company can, with the help of his loyal customers, help the change the world. To that end, Scott Free Press has launched the All Kids Should Have Games campaign. As part of this campaign, Scott Free Press will be donating a percentage of its proceeds to SOS Children International, a charity which strives to help children orphaned by war and civil strife. You will be able to visit the Scott Free Press website and check up on where the money is going and how it is being spent. The feeling at Scott Free Press is that one of the most important things that we can do to change the world, is to give a child a childhood. SOS Children International helps to ensure that this happens. That was my second goal with Scott Free Press.

"That's all good and well Kev, but what products are Scott Free Press producing?"

Glad you asked mate!

The flagship line for Scott Free Press is our Change the World line. The Change the World products are published under the M&M Superlink and they are designed to bring the sophistication and drama of international politics to your game in an exciting and accessible way. The first major products of the Change the World line is a trilogy of adventures entitled the World in Crisis series that can be played as self-contained adventures or together as an epic saga. The first two adventures are scheduled to be 64 pages and the final chapter of this epic is set to be 92 pages.

The first of these adventures is entitled Darkest Hearts. In this adventure, the PCs are confronted with a challenging situation when six superpowered criminals are hired as mercenaries by the government of Cote d’Ivoire (the Ivory Coast) for use against the rebel forces that have seized control of the Northern half of the country. The situation is volatile for a number of reasons (not the least of which is the precedent this may set for the rest of the world) and the PCs must find a solution to this problem while acting in a country hostile to foreigners, a continent sensitive to the meddling of Western powers in their politics and the rest of the world watching to see the outcome. In this way, Darkest Hearts is a perfect introduction to the Change the World line which explores the question: “if you had the power, how would you change the world?”

In the second adventure, the PCs see more of the world, going from Houston, Texas, to San Salvador, El Salvador and then deep into the jungles of Brazil where they face a threat that has been growing there, hidden from the rest of the world for over six decades.

In the final act of this trilogy, the PCs go racing to Europe when news reaches them that the city of Berlin has been devastated by a surprise attack from an invasion force hailing from another world. In this final chapter of the World in Crisis trilogy, the PCs find themselves standing shoulder to shoulder with superhumans from around the world and facing an adversary of astounding power and organization. This epic is structured in such a way that it will capture the spirit of the best comic book maxi-series (Crisis on Infinite Earths, House of M, Infinite Crisis) while still keeping dramatic focus on the PCs, giving them pivotal roles in events as they unfold. By the end of this trilogy the PCs’ world will be a changed place, shaped by the decisions and actions of the players during the course of the adventures and opening up many doors for future adventure.

As mentioned previously, each of the World in Crisis adventures is completely playable on its own, but there are threads of continuity between them which, when used together, make for a sweeping and cohesive saga that will leave players talking for years to come.

The next product after the initial trilogy is tentatively entitled Flashfires and it is a 92 page product featuring a series of short adventures for use in your M&M Superlink campaigns. Each of the adventures within is a self-contained story, intended either as a one-shot adventure or as inspiration for an ongoing campaign. Like the initial trilogy, this book incorporates the principles of the Change the World line (fun and accessible ways of incorporating sophisticated political issues into your superpowered campaign).

After that, we’ll be offering the first sourcebook in the Change the World line, tentatively entitled Tarnished Silver: The Change the World Sourcebook to the 1960s. This book will have all the information you’d need to run a superpowered campaign set in time of the Silver Age of Comics. Instead of focusing on the world of Silver Age comics, this book will give you all the information you’d need to run a game featuring the geopolitics, the ideologies and the espionage of the 1960s. In addition, you’ll find a plethora of characters and organizations inspired by sources such as James Bond, Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD, Planetary, The Ultimates, and the works of Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum and John Le Carre. This sourcebook opens up a world of clashing ideologies, political assassinations, cold warriors and nuclear showdown. This monster is scheduled to be 128 pages but it will likely get bigger once work starts on it.

Whew! And that’s what we’ve got planned for the first batch of books for the Change the World line. With all these books, the intention is to release them first as electronic versions in order to bankroll a printed version at a later date.

If that’s not enough to get you excited about Scott Free Press, we’ve got another incentive for you to keep checking in on us.

Every two weeks we’ll be profiling a character, complete with background and full-colour portrait, on our website for use in your M&M Superlink campaigns. In addition, every two months we’ll be posting a new Country Brief, giving GMs and Players a crash course in the politics and society of another country. In addition to useful information like history, languages spoken, maps and flags, these briefs give a rundown of major issues facing the country (for use as inspiration for your own campaigns) and a list of resources you can access for further information.

To sum up, that means every two months you’ll find a free Country Brief and four free characters (one every two weeks) for you on the Change the World section of the Scott Free Press website.
In addition, you’ll be able to purchase a PDF compiling each country brief and all four related characters under a pretty new cover commissioned specifically for the PDF version (and all for under $5).

To find further details on Scott Free Press and to check out the first Country Brief, featuring four FREE M&M Superlink characters as well as lots of other fun goodies, head over to www.scottfreepress.com now!

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Feb 28 2006, 12:53 AM

Novice Roleplayer

Howdy all!

Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know a lengthy new State of the World has been posted at the Scott Free Press website discussing the film Syriana and how the themes, approaches and subject matter of the film can be adopted for your M&M Superlink campaign.

Until next time I remain,

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Mar 6 2006, 03:29 AM

Novice Roleplayer

Howdy Folks!

Just to let you know, a new State of the World has been posted dealing with how issues of cultural relativity can be adopted for your M&M Superlink campaign.

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Mar 20 2006, 05:25 AM

Novice Roleplayer

Howdy folks,

Lots of fun stuff to report on this week!

First up: there's a new Country Brief featuring Canada up on the site now, along with the first of four new characters related to Canada. The Country Brief gives you all you'll need to have your campaign head to the Great White North.

The first Canadian character is a superhuman who was first active in the 1960s, but has subsequently become a Canadian Senator. In addition to her full history and stats, you'll get some sneak peeks at other characters of the Change the World setting.

Also up at the site is a new State of the World discussing how state sovereignty relates to superhuman characters who are heads of state. So if you've got a Doctor Doom wannabe in your campaign, this week's column will be up your alley.

In addition, we've got a detailed schedule for future Change the World characters and Country Briefs up.

There's lots to see, so swing by the site and take a peek!

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
netjedi
Posted: Mar 20 2006, 03:16 PM

The Supreme Overlord of Nothing!!

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 7

Good day Mr. Madison,
I took the liberty of looking at your site today. I can see that you take pride in your work and provide complete articles for the different regions. excellent work. I really enjoyed all your wonderful sections. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

--------------------
"Dig it. Who's the man? I'm the man. I'm a bad man. How bad? Real bad. I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness." The Evil Midnight Bomber
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Mar 22 2006, 08:39 PM

Novice Roleplayer

Howdy Netjedi!

Thanks for the kind words! Hope you like the Canadian Country Brief this week.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Mar 27 2006, 05:29 AM

Novice Roleplayer

Howdy folks,

Just wanted to let you all know that the new State of the World is up at the Scott Free Press site, discussing how the media can be used in your M&M Superlink and HERO System campaigns.

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Apr 1 2006, 05:05 AM

Novice Roleplayer

Howdy Folks,

HUGE news over at Scott Free Press! Check it out here!

Cheers,

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
jamfke
Posted: Apr 1 2006, 02:42 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Awesome Kevin! I just hope you won't forget us little people when you're rich and famous!

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Apr 1 2006, 02:48 PM

Supreme System Underlord

Member No.: 3

Congratulations! Definitely keep us posted on the progress! yeah.gif
netjedi
Posted: Apr 2 2006, 09:03 PM

Yay!

Best news I think I have heard this week. Outstanding sir, keep it up.

Glad to see they know talent when friends of friends of friends see it smile.gif

--------------------
"Dig it. Who's the man? I'm the man. I'm a bad man. How bad? Real bad. I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness." The Evil Midnight Bomber
Kevin B. Madison
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 05:47 AM

Novice Roleplayer

I'm sorry folks, but the big Marvel announcement was only an April Fool's prank (and wishful thinking on my part). That said, thanks for the kind words about my (fake) news. Role Players Direct may be a new forum for gamers, but I really like the supportive community that's buidling here. smile.gif

In an effort to make up for my lame prank, the next Canadian character, Totem, is now up and ready for use in your own M&M Superlink campaigns.

Unfortunately, I didn't quite have the time to finish this week's State of the World column, so I'll be posting that (which deals with structuring superhuman police campaigns) along with a few write ups of the spirits Totem can summon tomorrow evening.

Oh and before I forget, if anybody who frequents these boards wants to have their site's linked from Scott Free Press, drop me a line and I'll add it to the links page.

Anyhoo, off to bed now.

--------------------
Kevin B. Madison
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 08:16 AM

Supreme System Underlord

Member No.: 3

OOOOH, you NAUGHTY boy! jump_fire.gif

Is this the point in the story where the Moderators gang up on the member and start restricting his privileges? smiley_karate.gif

I'll have to read the handbook to see for sure... glassesf.gif

Any of my Mad Mod brethren have any thoughts on this? 04.gif
jamfke
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 03:45 PM

Supreme System Overlord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Scoundrel! He should be whipped and raked over hot coals! jump_fire.gif

hehe, good 1!

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
netjedi
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 11:04 PM

Well, That is the only one I fell for this year. Jamfke would have had me with the My Little Pony RPG had it not been for Hellcat noticing it was an April Fools joke prior to me seeing it.

Oh well, it would have been nice smile.gif

Congratulations on an excellent prank sir. yeah.gif

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Home Page | NEWForums

» Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX «
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0303 seconds · Archive