zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Star Wars D6...WEG style!, Let's talk about the best version ever!
jamfke
Posted: Jun 14 2005, 12:40 AM

Supreme System Overlord

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Personally, I am a Star Wars nut! I cut my teeth on the movies, so when the game came out, I fell head over heels. Tell us about your past experiences.

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 10:57 AM

Supreme System Underlord

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 3

Well, I'm about the same. I saw the movies out of order, but I saw and love 'em all. I started playing the game in college and LOVED IT!!!!!!
jamfke
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 11:00 AM

Supreme System Overlord

I love the way it moves so smoothly like the movies. If you try to add to many rules and dice rolls it just bogs down the action.

--------------------
To contact me, the Administrator of this board, or one of my minions, the Mad Mods, send an email to staff@roleplayersdirect.com.
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 12:04 PM

Supreme System Underlord

QUOTE (jamfke @ Sep 17 2005, 05:00 PM)
I love the way it moves so smoothly like the movies. If you try to add to many rules and dice rolls it just bogs down the action.

Personally I never played the D20 system, so all I really know is the D6, which I find to be MORE than adequate!
jamfke
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 12:11 PM

Supreme System Overlord

QUOTE (Jedi Skyler @ Sep 17 2005, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (jamfke @ Sep 17 2005, 05:00 PM)
I love the way it moves so smoothly like the movies.  If you try to add to many rules and dice rolls it just bogs down the action.

Personally I never played the D20 system, so all I really know is the D6, which I find to be MORE than adequate!

I've been doing some work with the folks over at Tabletop Games, and they do stuff with D20, so I've been doing some studying up on it, it ain't too bad once you get to looking it over.

--------------------
netjedi
Posted: Sep 17 2005, 09:11 PM

The Supreme Overlord of Nothing!!

Member No.: 7

I tried the D20 system when it first came out. bought all of the books in the beginning and after two sessions the group as a whole decided not for Star Wars. I used the books to get ideas and equipment that had never made it into WEG's version and made conversions for them. D6 just rules for this. character creation in less than 5 mintues and your off. with D20 you need almost a whole session to make the characters.

--------------------
"Dig it. Who's the man? I'm the man. I'm a bad man. How bad? Real bad. I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness." The Evil Midnight Bomber
Teradoxx
Posted: Sep 18 2005, 01:50 AM

RPG Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

I actually never played Star Wars D20. But I have played alot of D&D lately. But my all time favourite is Star Wars D6. biggrin.gif

--------------------
''My, my; this here Anakin guy, maybe Vaders someday later, now he's just a small fry. he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye, saying soon i'm gonna be a Jedi.''

- Weird Al Yankovic; The Saga Begins.
SLOTH
Posted: Sep 18 2005, 08:43 AM

n00b

Member No.: 8

I started out with D&D back in '82 cool.gif .

I saw SWE I in the theater (though I was quite young)

I didnt start with the D6 system till highschool and it was just to get a break from D&D and the D20 sys. I love both sys. and allways enjoyed when i got burt out on one I could switch to another. So this universal D20 i think sucks angry.gif

Jedi Skyler
Posted: Sep 19 2005, 05:37 AM

Supreme System Underlord

QUOTE (Skaff Toxian @ Sep 18 2005, 07:50 AM)
I actually never played Star Wars D20. But I have played alot of D&D lately. But my all time favourite is Star Wars D6. biggrin.gif

There's at least two of us!!! laugh.gif
Bakkabot
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 11:32 PM

n00b

Member No.: 18

WEG did Star Wars just about as perfect as you could do it. The basic game book was all you really needed, but they provided a ton of great accessories ranging from Gotta Have Its like the Film Sourcebooks and the Still Darned Cool Death Star Guide. D6 was the system for handling high space opera combat, simple, fast with just the right touch of mayhem courtesy of the Wild Die. The only complaint is WEG lost the franchise. Great stuff!

"We're not computers...we're physical."
- Blade Runner

--------------------
"It's too bad she won't live...But then again, who does?"
jamfke
Posted: Jan 25 2006, 11:37 PM

Supreme System Overlord

I agree whole-heartedly! WEG was the coolest! I even loved some of their other stuff, like TORG. I really loved that one because of the mixing and matching of genres.

--------------------
Chabit Rane
Posted: Jan 26 2006, 01:18 AM

Advanced Roleplayer

Member No.: 15

I agree with Bakkabot as well. Its one of the best systems made. Its simple and elegant.

I still remember the first time I saw Star Wars. The opening scene was what started the magic of the setting. Still, I get a chill down my spine when I remember that day.

--------------------
I'm the Lord of the Ninth Pit of Baator
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Jan 28 2006, 10:38 AM

Supreme System Underlord

I actually saw them out of order. I saw ESB first, then ANH. ROTJ was the first one I got to see in the theater; let me just tell you, Star Wars was MADE for the big screen!

I just wish I coulda seen 'em all in IMAX... dj.sml.gif
Chabit Rane
Posted: Jan 28 2006, 04:50 PM

Advanced Roleplayer

Member No.: 15

I was lucky. I saw all in the theater.

--------------------
I'm the Lord of the Ninth Pit of Baator
AlexGrim
Posted: Jan 29 2006, 12:24 AM

Lord of the RPGs

Member No.: 20

I saw StarWars A New Hope in the theatre when I was around 5 years old, I was hooked. I remember the lines for Empire Strikes Back and the shouts of enthusiasm from the crowd that lasted over Luke's first lines on the Tauntaun in the snow. People were stoked to be there. I remember the lines and campers for Return of the Jedi. My favorite movie is the first Conan, but I don't think any movies created as much a buzz as the original StarWars movies. People talk about their movie making more money than StarWars, like Titanic and shit, but nothing tops StarWars in reality no matter what the box office says. I didn't see campers at Titanic. I don't like Phantom Menace. Attack of the Clones is ok. Revenge of the Sith is excellent, and I will be adding it to my original trilogy as a prequel. Even though I have found flaws in Lucas's writing, like putting the sheild generator outside the shield in Empire Strikes Back(who would do such a thing?), I like these movies ALOT!!

I played D6 StarWars 1st edition when it came out, I thought it was cool, but I still played Palladium, Marvel Superheroes, AD&D, WarHammer Fantasy RP, etc. It was only in reflection about 10 years ago that I discovered just how brilliant WEG D6 StarWars was. It's genius was in it's simplicity and it actually has no limit on it's scale. If you need to roll 25D for that dragon strike, you can. Other games have limited scales that don't work well for dragons and giants and such. I actually didn't even know they came out with a 2nd edition, Jamfke had to tell me about it in 05. So I need some help sometimes in chargen. In the end I don't like D20 systems anymore, many percentile systems are flawed and D6 StarWars seems to be the only well known system I can back. As a seasoned homebrewer, I tip my hat to the WEG design team for their work on StarWars, good job guys.

--------------------
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Home Page | NEWForums

Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0258 seconds · Archive