zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Role Players Direct. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Character Creation Example
Kradedis
Posted: May 31 2006, 07:01 AM

Advanced Roleplayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 45

While this character isn't a bounty hunter, it is a pretty good example of how skills are picked to fit a character's trade. It gives you all an example of what I'm looking for (minus the family and friends). If you have any questions, please ask them here after the example. Thanks. smile.gif

Pahko Bendahgo

Link to picture

Background (current): Pahko Bendahgo is a native of Rodia...a native that feels he fits in much more with the wilderness of his jungle planet than the polluted streets of Equator City. He's a trapper, a game hunter, and a guide to other hunters who come from other worlds wishing to pit themselves against some of Rodia's more dangerous jungle and swamp predators. He prides himself at being able to take out smaller predators from a great distance with his marksmanship, and larger predators at close distance to prove his survival expertise, bravery and skill at melee arms. Generally speaking, he prefers doing this without anyone or anything in the area even knowing he was there.

Physical Appearance: Tall for a Rodian at 1.7 meters, Pahko is wiry and strong. His scarred face and body mark all of his close calls in daily life in the jungle...but by having all of these scars and still being able to move about makes those he sees in his brief visits to Equator City know that he is no one to be trifled with.

Personality: Pahko rarely has anything to say to anyone, especially in civilization. He feels much more comfortable alone or with his work beasts. The traders he visits to exchange goods with say that he is a fair barterer and an honorable Rodian. In the wild, he is parental in action...likely warning anyone who travels with him of danger before they even get a hint of trouble. Even then, he rarely will give directions or offer anything beyond what is required...

Objectives: To be left alone to hunt, prove himself as a hunter, and eliminate vermin and predators that may cause trouble for softer peoples.

Quote: (in Rodese) "Small talk gets you killed in a big way out here. Quiet."

Connection with other characters: What Pahko offers a team of adventurers is stealth and wilderness tracking. He is a fair melee fighter, and can do serious harm with his compound bow. If he were ever trained in modern arms and technology, he would be an expert stalker or infiltrator.

Putting Pahko on paper can be done so with several short steps:

1) First, identify how many Attribute Dice his species has:

Like Humans, Rodians have 12D.
Their attribute minimums and maximums can be found on page 215 of the 2nd Edition R&E Core Rulebook.

Pahko is a physical character. He is very quick and strong. Not only that, but he is alert. He has to be all three in order to survive in Rodia's jungles.
Pahko is not a gentleman.... nor is he a scholar....nor is he mechanically or technically inclined.

By looking at his minimums and maximums, I've picked these scores as his attributes. He has 12D as a Rodian, and +6D which gives him a total of 18D for his attributes.

Dexterity 4D+2
Knowledge 2D
Mechanical 2D+1
Perception 3D
Strength 4D
Technical 2D

4+2+2+3+4+2 = 17 The +1's and +2's after a D count are called pips. Three pips equals 1D...so, +2 +1 = +3 or +1D
His attributes, with the pips, come to 18D, as they should.

2) Next, we need to pick Pahko's skills:

Dexterity: Most Star Wars heroes pick blasters and dodge almost as soon as they get to this attribute. Pahko however is different. He knows that blasters are loud and noisy, and when the bolts hit their target, they tend to explode. They aren't ideal for hunting, trapping and game trophies, especially for smaller game which blaster bolts tend to vaporize. Instead of blaster, or grenade, he chooses what he would use in his trade. He uses silenced firearms against many of the creatures he hunts…as well as arrows.

Bows
Dodge
Firearms
Melee Combat
Melee Parry
Running

Knowledge: Pahko's world is the jungle. He rarely goes into the city, and when he does...it is only to trade and get supplies and not mingle with the soft and civilized. So, naturally, his Knowledge skills are those that he would use in the jungle.

Intimidation
Survival
Willpower

Mechanical: Pahko wouldn't know a starfighter if it fell out of the sky and landed right next to him. He has seen a few light transports zipping over the central part of Equator city a few times, but rarely does he go in that far. He doesn't care for swoops and other loud repulsor technology.... instead, he chooses to utilize beasts for transportation.

Beast Riding

Perception: While Pahko is quick on the draw, he isn't very social. Rarely does he speak, and he only knows a few words of Basic. He only interacts with others when he is paid to do so, or needs to trade goods. Like his other skills, he uses what serves him best in the jungle.

Bargain
Hide
Search
Sneak

Strength: Life in the jungle requires that a being be a living weapon...to never be...unarmed. Not only does one run through the jungle, but one must be prepared to climb to safety, jump from tree to tree, lift equipment and supplies, and go with limited food, sleep, and shelter for extended periods of time. In the swampy jungles, there are rivers...so again...a wilderness hunter must always be prepared.

Brawling
Climbing/Jumping
Lifting
Stamina
Swimming

Technical: If one were to hand Pahko a tool kit, he may take interest in a hydrospanner and delight in its ability to be used as a cudgel. His extent of technical ability is that of using herbs and plants in the jungle to perform basic first aid on himself or his riding beast, and to create basic primitive weapons and repair them as he needs to.

First Aid

3) Now that we have Pahko's attributes and skills picked out, we need to allocate Pahko's 10D of starting dice (I know the rules say 7D, but I'm giving an extra 3D):

With Pahko, I plan to use 1D for specializations and the other 9D for addition to skills.

Dexterity 4D+2
Bows 5D+2
Dodge 5D+2
Firearms 5D+2
Melee Combat: spear 5D+2
Melee Parry: spear 5D+2
Running

Knowledge 2D
Intimidation 4D
Survival 4D
Willpower

Mechanical 2D+1
Beast Riding

Perception 3D
Bargain
Hide 4D
Search
Sneak 4D

Strength 4D
Brawling
Climbing/Jumping: acrobatics 5D
Lifting
Stamina
Swimming

Technical 2D
First Aid

Totals: +3D for Dexterity skills, +4D for Knowledge skills, +2D for Perception skills, +1D for three specializations (of which +1D is added to the specialization) = 10D

4) Other Vital Stats - A standard starting move speed for a Rodian and most races is 10. I have chosen that Pahko will not be Force Sensitive. Every non-Force Sensitive character begins with 1 Force Point (Force Sensitive characters begin with 2). Pahko hasn't done anything to deserve dark side points. All starting characters begin with 5 character points.

Move: 10
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points: 1
Dark Side Points: 0
Character Points: 5

5) Character Equipment: Whether it be a lightsaber, wealth, a ship, a droid, a servant, mentor or perhaps favors owed from a VIP, everyone can start with something special. Pahko starts out with a trained and tamed Gharzr, a fierce jungle beast from Onderon’s moon of Dxun. He purchased it from an animal trader in town with the idea of seeing whether the beast would be able to hunt on Rodia…and with the idea in mind of hunting it if it proved to be a worthy beast. Since the beast had saved his life twice, he changed his mind in hunting it, and now instead thinks of it as his only friend. The rest of Pahko’s equipment is pretty common stuff, and primitive as well. This is what I have picked for him:

200 credits, various small pelts, primitive stone tipped spear (STR +1D+1), primitive stone knife (STR+2), compound bow with quiver of twenty stone tipped arrows (STR+1D), slugthrower pistol (3D), slugthrower rifle (4D), 4 clips of 16 rounds for the pistol, 4 clips of 20 rounds for the rifle, silencer, hide clothing, flint, hide equipment pack

6) Finishing Touches- By now, all there really is left to do is to compile everything.

Pahko BendahgoType: Wilderness Hunter
Gender/Species: Male / Rodian

Dexterity 4D+2
Bows 5D+2
Dodge 5D+2
Firearms 5D+2
Melee Combat: spear 5D+2
Melee Parry: spear 5D+2
Running

Knowledge 2D
Intimidation 4D
Survival 4D
Willpower

Mechanical 2D+1
Beast Riding

Perception 3D
Bargain
Hide 4D
Search
Sneak 4D

Strength 4D
Brawling
Climbing/Jumping: acrobatics 5D
Lifting
Stamina
Swimming

Technical 2D
First Aid

Special Abilities:
None

Move: 10
Force Sensitive: No
Force Points: 1
Dark Side Points: 0
Character Points: 5

Equipment: Gharzr (answers to being called "chuto"), 200 credits, various small pelts, primitive stone tipped spear (STR +1D+1), primitive stone knife (STR+2), compound bow with quiver of twenty stone tipped arrows (STR+1D), slugthrower pistol (3D), slugthrower rifle (4D), 4 clips of 16 rounds for the pistol, 4 clips of 20 rounds for the rifle, silencer, hide clothing, flint, hide equipment pack

--------------------
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Autobiography of Mark Twain
Orgaloth
Posted: May 31 2006, 07:36 PM

Brown Coat Rebel Mod

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 5

It seems pretty straight forward. What restrictions are you placing on the equipment we can have?

--------------------
Uh...had a slight weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?
Kradedis
Posted: May 31 2006, 08:16 PM

Advanced Roleplayer

Restrictions for equipment...hmmm...I'm glad you brought that up. smile.gif

I'd take a peek at the examples of equipment they have in the Core Book for characters like "bounty hunter", "smuggler", and "pirate." They don't really have that much; a few weapons, a few hundred to a thousand credits, maybe a few grenades, please no ships. Most any example in the Core Rules would be fine.

Now if you're interested in things from Gundarks or D6 versions of stuff from the D20 A&E, you'll have to run them by me and I'll likely only allow you to have one special item...and one under 1,500 credits.

--------------------
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
Jedi Skyler
Posted: Jun 1 2006, 01:46 PM

Supreme System Underlord

Group: Mad Mods
Member No.: 3

And, I'm sure, for any of the really COOL items, we'll need to come up with some kind of story for it... rolleyes.gif
Kradedis
Posted: Jun 1 2006, 04:31 PM

Advanced Roleplayer

QUOTE (Jedi Skyler @ Jun 1 2006, 01:46 PM)
And, I'm sure, for any of the really COOL items, we'll need to come up with some kind of story for it... rolleyes.gif

You may (especially if it's a rare item), and if not, we can all just assume that you paid 1500 credits or less somewhere for it. smile.gif

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Home Page | NEWForums

» Skin Detontiac designed by RyuIxion of WiredGFX «
^^v Back to Top v^^

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0437 seconds · Archive