|Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
|Role Players Direct > Star Wars | Blaster For Hire > General Information|
|Posted by: Kradedis May 25 2006, 11:54 AM|
| Iím providing the following information to help out with character ideas and answer some basic questions about the starting point and roll actions.
Name of Game: Star Wars: Blaster For Hire: A Galactic Bounty Hunter Campaign
System: West End Games, D6
Type: Action, mystery
Special House Rules: TBD
Players: 3 to 5
Occupational Requests: Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries only, please no psychopaths. This is a Rebellion Era campaign.
Posting Requirements: 1 to 3 times a week
Starting Date: Ready by June 15th 2006
Other Requirements: It is required that everyone have a copy of the 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded Core Rules. Background requirements can be found in the forum.
Synopsis: There is one thing that Black Sun, the Hutts, the Empire and even the Rebellion can agree on: No one likes psychos. Theyíre dangerous to have around and often go rogue if they work for you, and they relish in killing innocents. Everyone recognizes that they need to be brought to justice or put down, but the galaxy is a big place, and there are plenty of places where the most foul of souls can hide. Thatís where you all come in, because like many times before, youíve crawled deep into the places where psychos hide and brought them out to collect the rewardÖor maybe you didnít bring them back alive and skipped the bonus. Youíre bounty hunters, and the galaxy needs scum like you.
- The player characters will be working for the Bounty Hunterís Guild. Their contact will be listed in the NPC Thread in the next week or two.
- The player characters will be provided with a ship. If everyone picks a character without flight or spacer experience, a pilot will be provided as well.
- The first part of the campaign will likely take place in Hutt Space.
- The approximate time setting of the campaign is three months before the Battle of Yavin.
- Major skirmishes between the Rebellion and Empire and major galactic events over the last twenty years are general knowledge. If a situation presents itself where something secret is being discussed, if you wish to see if your character knows anything further about the matter, youíll have to roll the appropriate knowledge skill or the Knowledge attribute. If there are any doubts about when to roll, please ask. This can be useful, because you can basically request to roll to see if your character knows things that you yourself donít.
- Most languages spoken by alien beings, unless they are really obscure aliens who havenít been introduced yet (like Ewoks, the Noghri, and the Chiss) can be understood with a moderate languages roll. There may of course be degrees of failure if you donít quite make the 11 Ė 13 difficulty number, but a 3D+2 to 4D+1 in languages will typically allow you all to understand just about anyone speaking with average rolls.
- Iím trying to keep them to a minimum, and in fact, Iím starting everyone out a little ahead of the 7D to add to your skills by giving you all 10D instead. This will be elaborated on in the Character Creation example to follow in the next few days.
- Equipment: The Core Rules provide templates in the back of the book for outlaws, pirates, bounty hunters and smugglers. This should give everyone a good idea of what Iím looking for in starting equipment choices. Donít worry, things like the T-6 Thunderer and Smasher Armor will likely be available later on down the road.
- Force Usage: No one will start out with dice in any of the Force Skills. Characters can be Force Sensitive, but again, please, no Force skills or powers in the beginning.
- Backgrounds: Every character must have a background. They can be really simple, but they must answer for me the questions that will be mentioned further on down this list. If anyone needs help with coming up with a background, let me know.
Some players like to have four page long backgrounds that explain in great detail their exploits. While they are fun to read, it really isnít required. What I need to know are the following:
Known Family and Friends (please list the relationship and age next to their names):
When the smoke clears, this roughly averages out to about 500 words at the most (1/2 typed page). I urge everyone to squeeze in as much as they can. It will help keep everyone involved with the story.
|Posted by: Darth Windu May 25 2006, 05:06 PM|
|Just wondering, are these requirements instead of your background, or in your background?|
|Posted by: Kradedis May 25 2006, 06:25 PM|
|Clarification: Everyone is free to make their backgrounds as lengthy or as short as they wish...but I will need everyone to fill in the blanks of what I listed at in order to meet the minimum requirements for being entered into the game.|
|Posted by: Myn Antilles Jun 1 2006, 07:34 PM|
|I probably just missed this somewhere, but how do you want us to get this info to you? Email, or posting it somewhere, or what?|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 1 2006, 11:05 PM|
| No, you didn't miss it...I forgot to really be clear about that.
I would really prefer for everyone to PM me the stats/vitals/background. My email account sends alot of stuff to my junk box and there is no guarantee that I'll ever see stuff one sends there. The PM is the best way.
|Posted by: Orgaloth Jun 2 2006, 12:27 AM|
|I'll work on my character this wekend, so you'll see it soon|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 2 2006, 12:51 AM|
|Posted by: jamfke Jun 2 2006, 05:23 AM|
|And that means you'll be seeing mine too, once we can get together on them that is! hehe|
|Posted by: Darth Windu Jun 2 2006, 07:43 AM|
|Posted by: Myn Antilles Jun 2 2006, 09:40 AM|
| Excellent...I shall put mine together ASAP...which in Basic means "before Tuesday".
Just so I don't make a redundant character, are either of you guys planning on either a slicer or a pilot?
|Posted by: Jedi Skyler Jun 2 2006, 10:36 AM|
| I'm personally considering the possibility of a character with either slicing OR pilot skills... I was hoping to see some character sheets beforehand so I could make my character more complimentary to the party.
I might just skip having more than just basic piloting for now, because we'll have at the very least an NPC pilot who can teach any of us to fly. It might be handy, though, to have at least a couple people who can slice. No telling when they'll need to combine their efforts to get a job done.
I'll be working on my character (hopefully) over the next couple days. If I can get him done I'll PM him to you by Saturday afternoon. If not, it'll be ASAP afterwards.
|Posted by: jamfke Jun 2 2006, 03:56 PM|
|Shaun and I are planning on doing the pilot thing, but if anyone has a really strong desire to do so, I'm sure we might be able to forego our plans.|
|Posted by: Darth Windu Jun 2 2006, 03:58 PM|
|I'm creating a straightforward, simple character. Strong in combat, but not a pilot at all. Handy as a gunner, though.|
|Posted by: Myn Antilles Jun 2 2006, 07:19 PM|
| You can do the main slicer if you'd like, Sky. I'll make my char a sort of secondary slicer and gunman...maybe the mechanic type too.
I'll gladly give up being the pilot, Jamfke...sounds like you've got one already all thought out!
I'll probably get my charsheet done sometime tonight, and I'll PM it to whoever wants to see it pending an official thread.
|Posted by: Jedi Skyler Jun 3 2006, 12:24 PM|
Nah, you guys are fine as the pilots.
In fact, I might work into my backstory that your character(s) have been working with me for awhile because we'd been on a team once and found that we kinda gelled. We worked out an arrangement where I'm teaching you to slice while you teach me to fly. Something like that, anyway. Whatcha think?
Anyway, I got SWAMPED at work, so I don't think I'll have my character sheet done today...
|Posted by: jamfke Jun 3 2006, 01:31 PM|
|Cool, sounds good to me. Still waiting on Shaun's input on the characters myself.|
|Posted by: Orgaloth Jun 3 2006, 09:19 PM|
I had written the character up at work, but then left it there in my rush to get out. So I'm going to write it up again and I'll post it later today or tomorrow.
|Posted by: jamfke Jun 3 2006, 10:32 PM|
|Posted by: Darth Windu Jun 4 2006, 12:48 PM|
|Sent in my CS!|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 4 2006, 08:28 PM|
|Received character stats and concepts from Darth Windu and Myn Antilles...Looking good! We've still got some time before we start, so the rest of you, anytime before Friday would be great (June 9th) to get things in to me.|
|Posted by: Myn Antilles Jun 5 2006, 03:07 PM|
|Dangit...as luck would have it, I won't be able to get online from the 9th to the 12th...is that gonna be a problem at all?|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 6 2006, 05:44 AM|
|I don't think so, I have the majority of your stuff already.|
|Posted by: Orgaloth Jun 6 2006, 08:07 PM|
|Sorry, haven't had time at work to work on the character. Should do today though (generally a quiet day)|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 12 2006, 06:44 AM|
| Update: We should be ready to kick this game off sometime next week. I've got stats from Jamfke, Darth Windu, Orgaloth, and Myn Antilles. I'm still waiting for backgrounds from a few people, but I have pretty good idea of what I have to work with. I'll be posting more starting information this week (i.e. the pilot, the ship information, and a little bit of history and procedural information for bounty hunters).
|Posted by: Orgaloth Jun 13 2006, 02:58 AM|
|Jim and I have piloting skills on our characters|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 13 2006, 10:53 AM|
|Hmmm...I was thinking it would always be a good idea to have someone who could coordinate pick ups with you all (so you bounty hunter types could actually do bounty hunting instead of ship duty), but if you don't want someone who can watch the ship and fly it for you all that's up to you guys too. I'm guessing that Orgaloth doesn't want a pilot. Anyone else don't want one?|
|Posted by: Jedi Skyler Jun 13 2006, 12:08 PM|
| Perhaps we might be able to cover that with a couple alternatives:
1. An on-board droid, most likely an Astromech. This would provide a spare pilot AND mechanic, all in one. Plus, it would possibly provide some comic relief, and some extra functionality on missions we didn't have before. Of course, if we do that, I'd personally like to fit the droid with a vocabulator and some language programs so we can understand it without translation. It'd just make our jobs a whole lot easier, ne'c'est-pas?
2. Our ship could be fitted with a beckon call, allowing us to summon the ship remotely. That way, if the astromech is groundside with the team, we can still get airlifted in emergencies.
3. We might even pull the same kind of stunt Boba Fett did with Slave I. We can program a number of flight maneuvers into the ship's autopilot, so we can even have air cover when we're dirtside. This would also make opponents think we have a larger force than we actually do, which sometimes makes all the difference. *We might not start off this way, but between my slicer and our experienced pilots, we ought to be able to program some pretty complex combat and non-combat sequences...*
What do y'all think?
|Posted by: jamfke Jun 13 2006, 03:31 PM|
| Cool! I'll have my and Shaun's background to you ASAP!
I like the astromech idea too.
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 19 2006, 10:43 AM|
|Update: Received backgrounds for Jamfke and Orgaloth...We'll be starting on Thursday. Expect some procedural stuff for Bounty Hunters on Wednesday.|
|Posted by: Kradedis Jun 26 2006, 11:51 AM|
| Language Issues:
Speaking a language:
Unless a character specializes in a language or is fluent, a character's ability to speak multiple languages is reflected on how high or low a Language dice score is. Some languages are very easy to speak and understand, some are easy, and some go on up to being Heroic. Most languages fall into the range of very easy to difficult. When non-fluency issues arise, the difficulties become moderate to Heroic. Still, with more than 3D in one's Language skill, speaking a language besides one's own without being fluent can most often be achieved when speaking in simple terms.
If a player wishes to attempt a language other than their own native language, Basic, or a dialect of Basic, he or she will have to request a roll. The problem with this is that once a player has requested a roll, he or she is speaking already. If one makes it or barely makes it, he or she will sound natural, or they will sound awkward. If he or she fails, then that person will butcher the language. Please recognize outcomes before asking to roll.
No one asked about or wished to specialize in a language during character creation, but no one need worry. Ways of becoming fluent in game is actually pretty easy. I do count the language attempts, and I may have already deemed that your character is close to if not fluent in a language already even without specializing.
Jedi Skyler, Orgaloth, and Jamfke...your characters are likely to be close in being fluent even though there were no specializations declared for Huttese simply because of your dealings with them in the past. Note: If players don't declare specializations, I don't assume or grant them specializations or fluency in a language automatically despite their backgrounds.
Understanding a language:
Wookiees can understand Basic, though they cannot speak it. If someone is speaking in a different tongue, and if one wishes to understand what they are saying, one has to roll unless one is fluent in that language.
If an NPC is speaking in another language not native to your character, I will roll for your character automatically and incorporate the meanings into the narration or give the individuals who understand direct translations by some means.
This may involve the honor system, and I think we all can handle that.
|Posted by: Kradedis Jul 3 2006, 02:13 PM|
I'm getting more and more equipment requests from people who are forgetting some of the things that we all discussed earlier. This is the starting point of the campaign. This means that the weapons, armor, and equipment in the templates from the Core rules is acceptable (starting equipment). ONE or TWO items that are specialized is fine...not 80% of your items (i.e. pick a weapon and armor from Gundarks, etc.).
For those who just sent me your gear choices, please revise your inventories.