View Full Version: AD&D: The Dark Chalice

Role Players Direct > AD&D 2nd Ed. | The Dark Chalice > AD&D: The Dark Chalice

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 513

Title: AD&D: The Dark Chalice
Description: IC Thread

jamfke - February 2, 2006 05:32 AM (GMT)
A heavy mist settles low in Glenn Haven, the largest forest in all Klamaitra. The summer sun, sinking low on the horizon, casts twinkling motes of light dancing lifelike through the heavy canopy of leaves.

Shaniqua pauses at a small brook and dips a handful of water. Crystal clear and sparkiling, the water is sweet on her tongue. Though used to being in a more urban setting, the elf in her couldn't stay away from the forest for long. And when she did come back to the forest, it was as if she'd never left.

A snapping twig alerted her to something approaching the brook.

netjedi - February 2, 2006 05:35 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua takes a quick glance around her to see if she sees what is approaching or if there is a place to take cover.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 05:38 AM (GMT)
She sees several shadowy spots available to a thief. Ducking into one of these, she watches quietly as a great buck steps gingerly into the small clearing she just vacated. After sniffing the air for a moment, he lowers his massively antlered head and begins drinking from the brook.

Shaniqua - February 2, 2006 05:42 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua will watch and let the buck get its drink. She looks around to make sure nothing else is out there.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 05:45 AM (GMT)
Satisfied, the buck raises his head and snorts. He slowly saunters back into the forest. Shaniqua smiles as he goes. Yet another instance that reminds her that she is home.

Then, off in the distance, somewhere to the West, she hears the sound of a woman screaming.

Shaniqua - February 2, 2006 05:47 AM (GMT)
nocking an arrow she bolts in the direction of the screams. even though she is running, she will try and be as stealthful as possible.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 05:53 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua nears the area where she heard the scream. Coming to a small clearing, through the dusky shadows, she sees a small opening in the side of a hillock. From inside, another scream, though muffled, is heard.

Shaniqua - February 2, 2006 05:54 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua will make her way to the opening to see if she can scope what is happening inside without being seen.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 05:56 AM (GMT)
Inside, she sees a dark path leading downwards into the earth. There is a tattered sandal lying on the ground by her foot.

Shaniqua - February 2, 2006 05:59 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua will attempt to make her way into the dark path using the darkness to conceal her movement.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 06:03 AM (GMT)
Through dense tangles of tree roots and piles of stones, she picks her way deeper into the tunnel. Travelling about twenty feet, the floor levels out and widens a bit. She sees a split in the passage ahead.

Shaniqua - February 2, 2006 06:06 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua gets to the split and attempts to silence herself as much as possible and attempts to detect either visually or audibly which way the abductors & abductee went.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 06:07 AM (GMT)
Another muffled scream is heard from the passage to her right.

netjedi - February 2, 2006 07:19 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua heads off to her right to see if she can follow the noises, while keeping her presence hidden.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 07:22 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua moves stealthily down the passage. As she nears another bend, she hears a gargling voice speaking in a language she cannot understand.

Shaniqua - February 2, 2006 08:02 PM (GMT)
Shaniqua will attempt to peek around to see what is there without being detected.

jamfke - February 2, 2006 10:38 PM (GMT)
As she leans around the corner, her foot slips, ever-so-slightly, on a scum covered rock. In the attempt to catch her balance, her bow clacks against the stone wall before her. She gets a glimpse of two 3-foot tall creatures resembling walking rats with tiny horns. They each wear tattered clothing and miss-matched bits of armor. They are carrying a young woman or girl bound to a pole.

At the noise, the two creatures shriek and begin trotting further down the tunnel as quickly as possible.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 04:44 AM (GMT)
She will attempt to shoot the rear one with the arrow she has nocked.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 05:05 AM (GMT)
The creature bellows in pain as the arrow sinks deeply into its back. The lead creature feels the weight of the young girl bear heavily on him as his partner sinks to the floor, dead. The first one turns and sees Shaniqua readying another shot, drops his end of the pole and flees down the tunnel.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 05:25 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua will let loose the second arrow hoping it will find purchase on the little bugger.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 05:36 AM (GMT)
The arrow ricochets off the ceiling of the tunnel and sinks into the earthen floor. The creature runs screaming out of sight.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 05:39 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua will go and check on the person tied to the pole. If she is fine she will cut her free and attempt to retrieve her two arrows. She will also check the body to see if anything valuable or useful is on it.

(OOC Kobolds?)

jamfke - February 3, 2006 05:43 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua moves slowly towards the writhing girl and kneels beside her. She draws a knife and begins cutting away the ropes binding the girl to the pole. The girl begins to scream through her gag as she cannot see in the darkness, she is afraid.


netjedi - February 3, 2006 05:46 AM (GMT)
covering the girls mouth and in a hushed tone by the girls ear Shaniqua says the following in common
"Settle down and be quiet, you will attract more of them. hold on to me and we will get out of here momentarily. if you understand me nod."

jamfke - February 3, 2006 05:50 AM (GMT)
The high pitched whine, though muffled, seems to almost echo throughout the tunnel to Shaniqua's ears. Finally she nods.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 05:56 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua loosens her grip from the girls mouth and places the girls hand on her belt.
"now follow me around there are a couple of loose ends I need to tie up here and we will be gone in two shakes of a Satyr's tale"

jamfke - February 3, 2006 05:57 AM (GMT)
The girl clings tightly to Shaniqua's belt while moving around the tunnel.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:04 AM (GMT)
As Shaniqua begins gathering her arrows and searching the dead creature, scrambling noises begin echoing from further down the tunnel.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 06:07 AM (GMT)
to the girl
"quiet and follow, we are out of here"

(am I able to discern or approximate how many are returning?)

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:13 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua begins dragging the girl behind her as she heads towards the tunnel exit. Behind her, over the girls squealing, she can make out maybe a half dozen or more of the creatures charging up the tunnel.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 06:17 AM (GMT)
Once outside Shaniqua will look for a defensible position and get ready with her bow, so she can pick off as many as possible before they close into melee combat.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:28 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua finds a suitable copse of trees to fire from. The girl ducks down behind her, still screaming. Two of the creatures emerge from the opening looking in every direction before spotting her.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 06:29 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua hopes her aim is as true as it was on her first shot and fires at the left most target.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:32 AM (GMT)
Alas, hopes die young. Shaniqua's arrow whistles just past the creature's ear and slams into the mound of earth behind it.

The two beasts charge her position with raised short swords.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 06:34 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua nocks another arrow hoping there is enough distance for her to get another shot. if she deems them too close she will drop the bow in favor of her trusty blade.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:37 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua lets loose another shaft that thuds through the first creature's chest, jerking it off its feet and sprawling it on the ground, never to rise again. The second creature stops and turns as if to run until it spots three more of its fellows emerge from the tunnel.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 06:39 AM (GMT)
Noticing the second one stopped, she will shoot at that one next.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:48 AM (GMT)
The second creature, envigorated by the sight of his companions turns to charge, only to be met with another arrow. As it sinks to its knees in death, the others trample him underfoot as they close with Shaniqua, rendering her bow useless.

netjedi - February 3, 2006 06:49 AM (GMT)
Shaniqua meets them head on with steel as she unleashed her blades fury upon them hoping her resolve is better than theirs.

jamfke - February 3, 2006 06:58 AM (GMT)
The creatues swarm Shaniqua, blades flashing visciously in the moonlit night. Their blades clash, Shaniqua's attack is parried by one of the creatures, while she deftly bats aside two of theirs.

The third creature hits home with its blade cutting deeply into Shaniqua's stomach. Over the creature's shoulders, she sees three more creatures coming from the tunnel.

(OOC-Critical hit, Shaniqua takes 6 points of damage.)

Hosted for free by zIFBoards