Perfect Light Blue created by Robb of the IF Skin Zone

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Pokemon Light. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

> Welcome to Pokemon Light Forums!
alternative text for image
Enjoy your time at PLF (Pokemon Light Forums)! Our site is HERE. Be sure to look at the PLP site! Remember, if you are new, to read the rules first! We want our forum to be a nice place for members. Try not to steal any information located on this forum without my permission. Information about Pokemon Light is not, in any way, endorsed with Nintendo, Game Freak, nor the Pokemon Company. Also, make sure to view our affiliates (located at the bottom of each page)! If you need any help with anything, contact any moderator, staff, or admin. Thanks!

~~~Jeff and the Pokemon Light Productions Crew~~~

Tutorial 1: Recolors, Have a look inside!
Arkayne
Posted: Sep 5 2005, 02:20 AM

PL Designer
Group Icon

Group: PKMN Light Staff
Member No.: 20

I've decided to take my time out and make a tutorial for recoloring Pokemon sprites and basic MS Paint help. I hope this teaches you something and you appreciate my work:

user posted image
Step 1: Choosing a Pokemon
First step to making a recolor, is to have the actual sprite at hand. Thanks to the brilliant Polar Koala of the Spriter's Resource website, we have these at hand! Save the image to a folder that you like and open it with MS Paint (right click, open with, MS Paint).

Now, the sprites come in huge packs, so after browsing through the ones that you want, how do you get a certain one out? Choose the dotted box tool off to the side, and select an area around the Pokemon with it (don't bother on getting it perfect, just make sure that your Pokemon sprite is completely in). Make sure that you get the back battle sprite as well, and there is no need for the shiny version, then push ctrl+c to copy the picture. Now, start up another MS Paint (not a new document, but another running program) and push ctrl+v on the document to paste the sprites. With the first MS Paint go back up and get the mini-sprites for your Pokemon. After copying them, turn off the program.

user posted image
Step 2: Making a new workspace
Back to your second MS Paint Program, post the mini sprites so that they don't run over the battle sprites (enlarge the working space by dragging out the corner if needed). Now any of that unnecessary stuff that was dragged with your pictures must be rid of. So using the eraser tool, or the pencil/paint tool with white selected, go through the whole background that doesn't belong. You should end up with something like the picture above (except I didn't get the mini-sprites until the end).

user posted image
Step 3: In-depth with the picture
Now click the magnifying glass on the toolbar. Select 8X zoom. Now you can see every single little pixel on the Pokemon. Observe the colors. With this sprite, we are going to just color the skin of the Pokemon, so it is very important to find how much shades of colors the skin currently has (4 shades of blue).

user posted image
Step 4: The color mixer
You're obviously going to need a wide range of colors now right? The biggest mistake people do is they choose the colors from the bottom of the page. DO NOT CHOOSE THE COLORS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE!!! There is no range in them and they look ridiculous. Instead, go up to the colors tab, and choose edit colors. From here go to define custom colors. A huge range of colors huh? Now move the curser into the range of greens (for this project). This is how it should look like:
user posted image
Now we've got the color, but there is still the same problem, there is not enough range and it would just be stupid to move the curser around every time. So what do we do? Look to the right of this window. There should be a shading bar. Why most recolors look so bad is because they use the colors at the bottom of the toolbar, which are too far away from each other on the shading scale. What you want to do is leave small gaps in between the shaded versions of green.

user posted image
Step 5: Experimenting with colors
Every time you choose a shaded green color, push ok and use the pencil tool to make a small square (2 x 2 pixels) that has the color. Go back to the same window and move the shader down and do the same thing, making a square right under the first. After doing this two more times, you should have the 4 shades of green to replace the original 4 shades of blue, in order from lightest to darkest.

user posted image
Step 6: Lightest to darkest
Generally when using a completely different color scheme, the way to go is replacing the lightest color of the original scheme, with the lightest color of your scheme (with similar color schemes it should be the opposite, with the darkest starting first, or complications may occur). Look above to see the first step. Now with the second color:
user posted image
The third color:
user posted image
And the fourth color:
user posted image

Notice how black was not replaced by anything. UNLESS BLACK WAS USED AS THE COLOR SCHEME, DO NOT REPLACE IT. It is often used as a border, so it is best to leave it as it is.

user posted image
Step 7: The Final Product
Zoom back out to 1X using the magnify glass tool. This should be the progress you made so far. You want to take a break? Then go up to file, and click 'save as'. After choosing your folder, there are many things that you must keep in mind. Look at the bottom of the window where it says 'save as type'. It is important that you save it as a usable type, I personally like to use .png files because they work in any situation:
user posted image

user posted image
Anyways, I went back and did all the rest. It is for your use if you want. Be sure to give credit to Polar Koala from Spriter's Resource for the rip, and please don't claim it as your own (even though now you should be able to make one of your own. tongue.gif ).
Pokerob
Posted: Sep 5 2005, 03:41 PM

Bayshue Junior
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

i dunt think this belongs here arkayne yet it is useful wink.gif
DarkPegasus
Posted: Sep 5 2005, 04:09 PM

Bayshue Junior
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Nice tut happy.gif Althought you didn't have to use so large pics(the whole screen)

O and by the way moved
bigfreeze11
Posted: Sep 5 2005, 04:29 PM

Bayshue Junior
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

Very useful...I never knew how to do that biggrin.gif Good Job Arkayne
Chaocobo
Posted: Oct 3 2005, 02:08 AM

Bayshue Rookie
Group Icon

Member No.: 83

these are the sprites that started my spriting carrer.
user posted imageDoggo
user posted image Shyey
user posted image Alarmo
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0358 seconds · Archive

Pokemon Light Affiliates
Affiliate Logos
Affiliate with Pokemon Light Forums by copying and pasting the code above.