zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Loose Change Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Bomb Blasts At Un In Algiers, 47 killed
Reggie_perrin
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 08:47 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

Tuesday 11th december, i can hear 8bits keys clicking already.

already being "linked to al qaeda "

story-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7137997.stm

Dozens killed in Algeria bombings

There are fears people are trapped in the debris

Enlarge Image
At least 47 people have died in two bomb blasts in the Algerian capital, Algiers, officials have said.
The first explosion is reported to have happened in the Ben Aknoun district, near the supreme constitutional court.

That was followed shortly afterwards by a second blast at the United Nations offices in the Hydra neighbourhood.

A UN worker caught up in the Hydra attack told the BBC that part of the building was destroyed and it was feared people were trapped.

Dozens were wounded in the blasts, officials say.

'Suicide bomber'

Sophie Haspeslagh, who works for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), told the BBC that she was in a corridor when the blast occurred.

"Everything shattered. Everything fell. I hid under a piece of furniture so I wouldn't be hit by the debris," she said.

Witness: 'Everything fell'
In pictures: Algiers blasts
"I was holding my jacket on my face because I couldn't breathe."

In the other attack, near the constitutional court, a group of students travelling on a college bus were among the casualties, local media reports.

Algerian Interior Minister Yazid Zerhouni said the explosions had been caused by two car bombs, and that the UN one was triggered by a suicide bomber.

"The death toll is very high," Mr Zerhouni said after the attacks, without giving a precise figure.

Ms Haspeslagh said that one of her colleagues, who works in the UNHCR building across the street from the UNDP office, said he saw a white van drive into the main UN offices, then explode.

There has been no immediate claim of responsibility.

Throughout 2007 there have been a series of bomb attacks across Algeria in which scores of people have died.

In September more than 50 people were killed in suicide attacks - one of them involved a truck packed with explosives being driven into a coast-guard base.

Al-Qaeda link?

Members of the public have recently held rallies in protest at the upsurge in violence.

VIOLENCE IN 2007
6 September: 22 die bombing in Batna claimed by al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb
8 September: 32 die in bombing in Dellys claimed by al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb
July: Suicide bomber targets barracks near Bouira killing nine
May: Dozens killed in run-up to elections, in fighting between military and militants
April: 33 killed in Algiers in attacks claimed by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb
March: Three Algerians and a Russian killed in attack on gas pipeline workers
February: Seven bombs kill six east of Algiers
Many of the recent blasts have been claimed by members of al-Qaeda's North Africa wing, calling themselves al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, including a triple suicide in Algiers in April which killed 33 people.

The militant group was previously known as the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC) but changed its name when it joined forces with al-Qaeda last year.

The BBC's regional analyst Roger Hardy says it is unclear how far the group really is linked to Osama Bin Laden's organisation and how far it is merely inspired by it.

What is worrying Western experts and North African governments is the possibility that radical Islamists in the region no longer have a merely local agenda but are linked to a wider web of international networks.

Algeria suffered a brutal and bloody civil war in the 1990s, but in recent years violence had declined.
EOR
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 12:03 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 423

Gideon524
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 12:06 PM

G524

Group: Admin
Member No.: 729

moved to Latest News
IVXX
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 04:10 PM

MDCCLXXVI

Member No.: 378

It seems Al-Qaeda now has a monopoly on terrorism and are the only terrorists left in the world.
look-up
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 04:48 PM

A WTC 7 No-Planer

Member No.: 654

QUOTE (IVXX @ Dec 11 2007, 09:10 PM)
It seems Al-Qaeda now has a monopoly on terrorism and are the only terrorists left in the world.

yea you'd think there would be ideological differences between them and other networks, and they would almost compete to see who could do the most horrific act against the U.S. and its allies... but no they are all somehow 'al-qaeda'.

al-qaeda now means "terrorist". they've used the double-speak so that definitions are confused.

we should just go on the offensive and start talking about the neocons and NWO elitists as if they are members of al-qaeda. You know they are saying the same of us...
Gideon524
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 05:21 PM

G524

Member No.: 729

Merged with "Al Qaeda strikes again"
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Latest News Section | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0262 seconds · Archive