Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Genesis. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (16) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Genesis - Mitosis, The Viscera - Creature Stage
Nox
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 04:28 PM

He always seemed like such a nice kid.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

Curses.... dry.gif

Sorry, I sounded a little angry in that post. biggrin.gif

edit: Wow, I hate our shell....

--------------------
Taegril Avarial on the Elder Scrolls Forums
We Love Callie!
Bring back the assassins' RP >:(

The Moldy Olive <-- still in early development, but it's coming along
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 06:56 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

Member No.: 33

What do you do? Choose 3 actions.
B) Struggle to get onto the Ichthyopod, but give up if you can’t achieve it without too much effort. (2 Actions)
C) Give up and crawl to a clearer stretch of sand, where sunlight is more plentiful and direct. (1 Action)

B is my main action, if that fails i'm all for heading for the sunny area, but i seriously would like to get into the Ich
Nurjehan
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 07:10 PM

Bodhi's better half

Member No.: 39

I'll back Bodhi's idea since it makes sense
OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 07:11 PM

Street Shark!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Just to tell you guys, you can chose more than one action, even if they mean going in different directions. As long as they make sense, it can be done. For example, you can choose B & C now. You would basically try to get on, but failing that, go to the sunny area. You CAN'T choose C & D, because you can't explore two directions at once. UNLESS you specifically state, C & D, but explore D first, then go on and 'finish' at C. You'll get the full effect of C, and a reduced effect of D. Get it?

--------------------
user posted image
Nox
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 07:13 PM

B) Struggle to get onto the Ichthyopod, but give up if you can’t achieve it without too much effort. (2 Actions)
C) Give up and crawl to a clearer stretch of sand, where sunlight is more plentiful and direct. (1 Action)

Answer changed to Bodhi's idea smile.gif

edit: Yeah, I know about the avatar. Will fix it ASAP...maybe...

edit 2: Voila!

--------------------
We Love Callie!

OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 07:17 PM

Street Shark!

Cool. I be updating.

EDIT: By the way Nox, your avatar is broken.

EDIT AGAIN: Nice!

--------------------
user posted image
OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 08:18 PM

Street Shark!

General Information
Species Name: Viscerid (Viscera)
Scientific Classification: Circulspiculida silimus – ‘Slime-Shell’
Average Life Span: 3 Weeks
Reproduction: Unknown.
Physical Description: Viscera are small, globular creatures. Their body is a small disc, about an inch in diameter, and transparent. The only features that decorate this flat disc are two cnidocytes-laced tentacles flanking a tiny, pincered mouth. A set of four rudimentary legs line each side of the disc, leaving the rear end featureless. Rising from the back of the viscerid is a brittle silicon-mucus shell, in the shape of a half-a-sphere.
Sensory Description: Viscera are have a fair sense of touch and taste, able to both feel and taste the arrival of their favourite hosts, the Ichthyopods.
Average Length: 1 Inch
Average Weight: 2.5 Grams
Current Environment: Algae-Infested Brackish Estuary
Food & Diet: Viscera are hemophages, feeding on the blood of the Ichthyopod in particular.
Feeding Method: Viscera latch on to the skin of the Ichthyopod, and slowly, clumsily make their way into the Ichthyopod’s mouth, which from there on in they crawl onto the roof of the mouth and latch on, inserting a minute proboscis with which they drain the blood of the Ichthyopod.
Movement Type: Viscera have eight clumsy, rudimentary legs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stats
Brain: ●oooo (1/5)
Sight: ooooo (0/5)
Hearing: ooooo (0/5)
Touch: ●●ooo (1.65/5)
Taste: ●oooo (1/5)
Smell: ooooo (0/5)
Attack: ●●●oo (3.1/5)
Defence: ●●●oo (3.15/5)
Speed: ●●ooo (1.7/5)
Control: ●oooo (1.4/5)
Stealth: ●oooo (1/5)
Metabolism: ●oooo (1/5)
Poison Resistance: ●oooo (1/5)
Systems and Organs
Instinctive Minimal Brain (Brain +1)
Flat, Disc-Shaped Body (Touch +1.65, Taste +1)
Pair of Cnidocyte-Laced Tentacles (Attack +3.1)
Brittle Silicon-Mucus Globular Shell (Defence +3.15)
Eight Rudimentary Legs (Speed +1.7, Control +1.4)
Algae-Infested Brackish Estuary Ecosystem
Creatures
Predators
Swimming Arthropod #1 Blunt-headed, large and slow. Picks us off while we’re scaling the Ichthyopod.
Swimming Arthropod #2 – Long and thin, average size. Picks us off while we’re scaling the Ichthyopod.
Swimming Arthropod #3 – Small, narrow, and delicate. Picks us off while we’re scaling the Ichthyopod.

Hosts
Ichthyopod – Ichthyopods are massive, relative to the rest of the ecosystem. Their two-foot long, armour-plated bodies glide gracefully through algae-laced waters, pushing themselves through the green mass with a powerfully muscled tale. A large, constantly agape mouth swallows algae in their path, so that the water they leave in their wake is free of algae for a bit.

No Relation
Small Worm #1 – Thin, narrow, and plentiful.
Small Worm #2 – Wide, and hides under rocks. Plentiful around sponges.
Crawling Arthropod #1 – Large and wide.
Crinoid #1 – Three leaf-like filter mouths. Clings on to rocks.
Sponge #1 – Green tubular sponges.
Sponge #2 – Purple tubular sponges with short nubs on their sides.

Plants
Moving Plant #1 – Wide, circular. Moves to the sun.

Symbiotes
Endosymbionts
Veridiplast – Circulspicamicus veridisuperstes – A small, simple algae which lives within the tissue on our back. It can weather the toughest of environments, and simply blooms back into life when the conditions are favourable.
Current Status
Name: Alfie
Body & Health: You are Fine.
Thoughts & Feelings: Urgent instincts tell your brain to get onto the Ichthyopod as soon as possible, no matter what.
Hunger: You are Content.
Thirst: You are Content.
Fatigue: You are Tired. (-1 Action)
Giving a final push with all eight of his limbs, Alfie soared a couple millimetres or two up into the water, towards the Ichthyopod. His tentacles grazed the armour plates, but the cnidocytes couldn’t penetrate the thick chitin. Falling to the ground, tired, Alfie began to look for sustenance. Not ten feet away there was a vast plain of sand, lit by the sun – Alfie’s back hadn’t bloomed for at least a week now, and he didn’t sense another Ichthyopod coming…best he drain sustenance from the veridifolium in the sun. His eight clumsy legs slowly made their way over to the sun, and when he arrived, a visible change overtook him. His back, usually transparent, slowly turned green, becoming opaque in a matter of minutes. The simple algae that lived in his tissues knew that this opportunity wouldn’t last long, so they absorbed the sun’s rays while they could, letting the power of nature transform sun and carbon dioxide into oxygen and sugar. Glucose flowed into the organ that functioned as a stomach for Alfie, and his stomach’s slight hunger was satisfied. After a couple hours of photosynthesizing, shadows darkened the horizon, and the silver sheen of the under-surface of the water was overtaken by darkness. Something was coming…
What do you do? Choose 2 actions.
A) Further investigate one of the many creatures around us. (1 Action, Fatigue -)
----- I) Swimming Arthropod #1
----- II) Swimming Arthropod #2
----- III) Swimming Arthropod #3
----- IV) Small Worm #1
----- V) Small Worm #2
----- VI) Crawling Arthropod #1
----- VII) Crinoid #1
----- VIII) Sponge #1
----- IX) Sponge #2
----- X) Moving Plant #1
B) Scuttle into the cover of a near-by grove of sponges. (2 Points, Fatigue -)
C) Stay where you are, tucked into the sand, and photosynthesize some more. (3 Actions, Hunger +)
D) Scuttle into the cover of a stone near-by. (1 Action, Fatigue -)
E) Crawl toward vibrations of similar size to the ones that you are making. (2 Actions, Fatigue -)
F) Stay where you are, tucked into the sand, and rest. (1 Action, Fatigue +)

--------------------
user posted image
DragonSage1313
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 08:20 PM

Zebodi foo'

Member No.: 34

Hey guys, just popping in with some ideas regarding your future plans. First of all, there is no 'conscious' part of the brain. The brain of a sapient and sentient being is so complex that, while we can define where certain phenomena takes place, we cannot define exactly where that 'spark' of consciousness is. First of all, I'd like to give an example of why we cannot just destroy part of the brain to gain access to the rest. My dad, about 25 years ago, had a cancerous tumor on his brainstem. It was surgically removed, with next to no contact with the actual stem. And yet today he has double vision in one eye, his left side reacts slower than the right, his motor skills are slightly worse off, and he has balance problems. That's from removing something on the brain that wasn't even part of it. Tampering with the brain will usually kill the victim. Which leads me to my second issue.

How the heck do we feed? The body of the host whose body we've tampered with is now dead or dying. Nutrients cannot be carried by the heart and blood, nor can we rely on the host's digestive system. Even if we spread our own nerves through the body, we cannot reanimate it. A dead body is dead because the cells in it cannot do anything. It is dead at the cellular level, and that cannot be fixed unless we metamorphosize into the host itself. And there is no possible way for a body process to read DNA code from a digested cell and incorporate the body building portions of the genome to rearrange its own body.

Now I have an idea that may work. Don't target the brain. Target the spinal cord. What I am thinking is if we enter at the neck, and begin growing our body hugging the inner portion of the vertebrae and parallel to the spinal cord. As we extend the portion of our body that will serve as the nervous system for the creature, we eat away the nerves that we can safely replace. This can ONLY happen after we have already established a connection with the nerves connected to the cell we are about to consume. Once we consume the cell, we become a carrier of information for the host. We continue until we control all non-brain nerve cells in the host. From here, we can just ignore the brain and send our own signals to the body for it to do our will. This way the host is never dead, and never has a reason to die due to our activities. This means that, seeing us as its nerve cells, it will supply us with nutrients. We just need to develop a high resistance to antibodies and the like, though once we are big enough that shouldn't be a problem. (Alternately, we could also extend a net of nerves wrapped around the brain that do not change anything about it, merely adding a new sourse of electric impulses that make it so the brain sends just the signals we want. Either work fine.)

I came up with this while talking with Oath as he types tonight's update, I hope you like it. Seeing as how we want to be basically the zombie creating parasites, this is the most biologically possible way I see. Sorry for the bit of a wall o' text.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 09:29 PM

wears a spandex leotard with the flag of communist Vietnam on it

Member No.: 2

Dsage, I don't really see what you're getting at with a lot of your points, but I'm sure someone else will respond.

I wish I could have gotten here in time last update. In the future, we can't expect to do an action, rest, and then be more rested than we started. We just end up hungrier and right back to where we started.

C) Stay where you are, tucked into the sand, and photosynthesize some more. (3 Actions, Hunger +)
OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 09:38 PM

Street Shark!

No, but you'll rest, than do the action, unless it's an urgent action. You negate your earlier resting, but at least you won't lose anything. If it's a minor action though, it's not gonna lose you much.

Basically, DSage's idea is a scientifically viable way of doing what we intended to do before.

--------------------
user posted image
OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 09:41 PM

Street Shark!

Also, what the little +'s and -'s on the actions are are what they're INTENDED to do. Success is not guaranteed.

EDIT - Again, I'm eager to update these days. Vote ASAP. Check often. Vote ASAP. I'd have updated right now if more than Twitch just voted. Don't fear the reaper. Vote ASAP.

--------------------
user posted image
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Jun 27 2007, 11:12 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

Member No.: 33

Different actions Twitch, photosynth didn't have us rest, it had us feed. Had it been resting we would have stayed even on the fatigue

E) Crawl toward vibrations of similar size to the ones that you are making. (2 Actions, Fatigue -)
F) Stay where you are, tucked into the sand, and rest. (1 Action, Fatigue +)

rather then staying by ourselves we might want to try hooking up with a group of our own, the rest action is due to the fact it should be safe to rest amongst our own, and to keep our fatigue level stable
Nox
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 05:09 AM

What do you do? Choose 2 actions.

I know it'll make us more tired, but safety in numbers & whatnot. Then we can rest.

--------------------
We Love Callie!

Acesolid
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 06:49 AM

Grapu

Member No.: 42

I think that joining a group of other Viscerids would be the best thing to do now.
smurfslayer
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 06:59 AM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Member No.: 4

D

If it is larger than us, then it can eat us. I say we hide and if it looks to be a good host then we latch on when it comes near the rock.

Also, Dsage, we never wanted to kill and reanimate them, just take over their minds.

--------------------
QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Nov 14 2006, 09:20 PM)
Smurf, the short blue peacemaker of us all.
Khaak
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 07:30 AM

He-Who-Is-Allergic-To-Death

Member No.: 41

E,F. Wouldn't the spinal column tactic leave the host concious and aware of what was happening to it? And as far as I can tell wouldn't attatching to the spine leave us blind and deaf to the outside world, latching onto the brain seems like the best, albeit harder idea.

--------------------
Be not the Blade, who is mindless and without Will.
Be not the Warrior, who is numberless and without Will.
Be not the General, who is arrogant and without Will.
Be not the King, who is blind, who is deaf and without Will.

Be the Advisor, the Whisperer, who is not blind, who is not deaf, who cannot be arrogant, who is not numberless, who is not mindless.

And who has no need of Will.
OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 09:56 AM

Street Shark!

The spinal column tactic would make the host aware that he's lost control of a spot on his body, and that spot's spreading - but instead of being paralyzed, it moves by itself. The host may or may not feel pain or discomfort during this, or even know it's a parasite. It'd be a pretty long process though. Perhaps we can knock 'em out, put them in a slimy archetypal alien pod, then incubate them while we take over their nerves.

Again, E & F is a viable option, but you'll rest first, meaning that if the shadows are hostile, they'll probably eat you while you sleep.

--------------------
user posted image
OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 09:58 AM

Street Shark!

E ties with E & F. Someone change their vote. If no one does soon enough, I'll go with E since it's the common interest. Plus, you probably don't want E & F after what I said above.

--------------------
user posted image
Nox
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 11:24 AM

vote changed to just E

I really don't want to meet Oath's super-predator just yet. wink.gif

--------------------
We Love Callie!

OathinBlood
Posted: Jun 28 2007, 01:04 PM

Street Shark!

Wait...you can't even pick E & F. You only have 2 actions.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (16) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

AFFILIATES
Genesis's Affliates

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0325 seconds · Archive