zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Genesis. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (30) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Genesis - Mitosis, An experimental game.
Nox
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 03:33 PM

He always seemed like such a nice kid.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Twitchmonkey @ Apr 12 2007, 03:08 PM)
Spikes really aren't that unique. We may develop another way to feed, but we have to keep in mind it needs to work in a parasitic fashion to allow us to latch on and extract nutrients, which may not come up too often. There really is no point in posting this though, we're all (myself included) a bunch of stubbprn bastards that would rather see the species die than change our minds.

We're not going to have a Crystalli-Xivai split on the second update, right? laugh.gif

--------------------
Taegril Avarial on the Elder Scrolls Forums
We Love Callie!
Bring back the assassins' RP >:(

The Moldy Olive <-- still in early development, but it's coming along
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 03:36 PM

wears a spandex leotard with the flag of communist Vietnam on it

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Nox @ Apr 12 2007, 11:33 PM)
We're not going to have a Crystalli-Xivai split on the second update, right? laugh.gif

No, at least not without gamgee, I can accept when my choice loses, gamgee...not so much.
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 03:58 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Member No.: 4

Well, the decision to go to the surface was a very big (and rather stupid) one that a lot of people disagreed with. Hopefully we can get through this without another species split though.

--------------------
QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Nov 14 2006, 09:20 PM)
Smurf, the short blue peacemaker of us all.
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 04:40 PM

Street Shark!

Member No.: 1

Yeah, I'm not doing two species this time around.

Anyways, cnidocytes are what causes the sting on jellyfish, barbs which 'shoot' out at the target, attached to the body with a thin thread, like the harpoon gun in Jaws.

And the oral groove is a mouth for the cell stage, basically.

--------------------
user posted image
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 07:38 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

Member No.: 33

so we got the 'mouth' covered, the cnidocytes are still connected to the body, and twitch, while if it had only been spikes, its still very usefull for us to be able to stun what gets to close to us. and that is not so normal(thats not really a case anylonger tho since its actually still connected to the body) so i think the cnidocytes would be to our largest benefit

Be it for attack (We can attack a lot freer if we are mostly safe from retaliation)

defense: stun them before we run away(Wonder how often we will use this option)

Help somebody else for some benefit(my earlier stun prey for others idea, yes its not exactly a parasiteish idea, but there is nothing forcing us to be pure parasites if we decides we would rather be of help then harm our hosts in the long run)

We can also use it to feed a lot easier once we have developed something to break thrue the cell walls of other cells(if we decide we want to be an intrusive sort of parasite)

OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 09:04 PM

Street Shark!

Think of the pseudopod as an extendible part of your body, allowing you to reach your mouth out to the prey, instead of bringing the prey to your mouth.

Also, I'm definitely better at creature updates, I'd update even more if I wasn't grounded from the computer on weekdays.

And clarification on the cnidocytes, they penetrate the cell membrane. Think of it this way - they're like needles, penetrating the skin but not causing much physical trauma, unlike the horn, which is like, well, a horn.

--------------------
user posted image
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 09:06 PM

Street Shark!

Yeah, I've discovered that I have no mind for politics/civilization development. The Xivai and the Crystalli I'm proud of, and would like to see them develop more, but I just can't do it myself. It'd be great if one of you guys could do it, Nox/Smurf for the Crystalli and Seb/Gamgee/Twitch for the Xivai.

--------------------
user posted image
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 09:21 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

Seems like i was correct on my view way back then that the rush to tribal was a mistake tongue.gif ignore the jab please as i like how the xivai and crystalli have developed in tribal, just couldn't resist hehe

and with the added info from Oathin on that the cytes actually does penetrate the cell membrane grants more weight to that evo as it will allow us to feed on our stunned prey
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 10:00 PM

Street Shark!

Of course you can eat your stunned prey, except the amoebas, since they're bigger than you, and you can't engulf them.

--------------------
user posted image
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 11:15 PM

We were growing lethargic in creature, and we grew lethargic in tribal. Some things just have an expiration date on them.

I guess this is cool then. I still kind of like the pseudopod, but if we already have a mouth I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps we could use these to latch on and bring our mouths to the creature. I don't intend to change my vote, for I feel it is the right one, but it's mostly a symbolic gesture.
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:46 PM

Street Shark!

Cnidomecium spiculoses – ‘Stinging Body’
Name: N/A
Population: 10,000
Life Span: 5 Weeks
Reproduction: Mitosis, asexual reproduction by the splitting of cells.
Classification: Protista
Description: A sporozoa protist, a tiny predator in it’s cellular ecosystem. It’s body is relatively basic, but it has a pair of poisonous cnidocytes used to latch onto and stun prey.
Length: Microscopic in length, and relatively small even to other protists.
Weight: As a unicellular organism, your weight is too small to be significant.
Current Location: In the upper half of a large body of water, where sunlight is plentiful.
Diet: Diatoms, and the cytoplasm of large amoeboids.
Feeding Method: The protists stun small diatoms with their toxin-laced cnidocytes, then quickly engulf them using their oral grooves. The cnidocytes are also used to latch onto amoebas and slow them enough to feed on the cytoplasm that leaks out of their damaged cell membrane, like a unicellular vampire.
Movement Type: The protists move using hundreds of tiny hair-like cilia.

Large Body of Water Ecosystem
Creatures
Predators
Amoebas – Large amorphous blobs that engulf anything in their path.
Flatworms – Rarely spotted worms which inhale large amounts of water to feed on the protists inside.

Prey
Diatoms – Numerous but small algae-like phytoplankton. They are defenceless.

Stats
Brain: 1/10
Sight: 0/10
Hearing: 0/10
Touch: 1/10
Taste: 1/10
Smell: 0/10
Attack: 5/20
Defence: 1/10
Speed: 2/15
Control: 2/15

Systems and Organelles
Short Cilia (Speed +, Control +)
Simple Nucleus (Brain +)
Thin Cell Membrane (Defence +, Touch +)
Small Oral Groove (Taste +, Attack +)
Pair of Mildly Poisonous Cnidocytes (Attack +++)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the Protist's newest evolutionary leap of faith, they had gained a pair of toxin-laced cnidocytes which allowed them to fight their enemies and impale their prey, the amoebas and diatoms. With this new adaptation, they were capable of piercing the amoeboids’ cell membrane, allowing its inner cytoplasm to spill forth for our protists to feast upon - however, this adaptation was far from perfect. Still only possessing their simple cilia as movement, the cnidocytes were used more often too add injury to insult than actually be a fatal surprise – that is to say, they were more often used when the prey was already in their grasp instead of them being the opening attack. However, our protists, who now had the ability to fend off some amoeba attacks, had prospered and increased in small amounts.

Times had been a tad bit more relaxed - the adaptation had allowed our protists to fend off their main predator mostly, although they still really lacked the speed required to turn the tables on them quite yet. Diatom population had remained steady despite the frenzied attitudes of both the amoebas and protists against them. The amoeba numbers had stayed about the same as well, due to the somewhat ineffectiveness of our protist's adaptation, but at the least, quite fewer protists have been consumed by the amoebas. However, dark horizons would be arising soon, as the worm population had gone unheeded, and their numbers had continued to gradually rise. Luckily, fate granted our protists yet another genetic mutation, and they once more got the chance to adapt to the inevitable changes to take place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you want to evolve?
A) A flagella, a long, whip-like tail. (Speed ++, Control +)
B) Enlarge our size, to increase cellular mass and grow in size and strength. (Defence ++, Attack ++, Speed -)
C) A pseudopod, a blob-like projection which can be used to move and feed. (Attack +, Speed +, Control +)
D) A simple jet, to take advantage of the surrounding water to deliver a short burst of speed. (Speed +++)
E) Develop the ability to photosynthesize, using the sunlight in addition to preying on smaller creatures for nutrients. (The ability to survive without other creatures to feed on.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
user posted image
Nox
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 06:40 PM

A) A flagella, a long, whip-like tail. (Speed ++, Control +)

I love some of the other options (especially the photosynthesis one), but the italisized paragraph clearly states that we are sorely lacking in speed right now, and we will need it to escape the worms.

The flagella's combo of a speed and control boost will, I believe, give us the ability to use our cnidocytes with strategy, striking quickly and precisely instead of putting ourselves in harm's way by meandering slowly and clumsily over to our enemy or prey. Factor in the surprise factor we might get from our speed boost, and we could have a deadly combonation indeed.

--------------------
We Love Callie!

Gamgee
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 07:05 PM

Co-Founder of the Xiva

Group: Gamgee
Member No.: 8

Im sure I could start a revolution in under a night if I wanted I just don't wanna. Remember all those other times? I toppled the crystalli people in the split, you multiple times, twitch once or twice, and then the "mighty" Krol who was an admin also got owned by my ass kicking ways then I lead the Tabrienites on a wandering exile to the promised land... and we remain there to this day.

I have all the experience of doing these kinds of things I just am not interested in this. I peek in here once in awhile and you mentioned split so I get to brag tongue.gif

Anyways I will go and stop clogging a thread. I am kinda sad the Xiva are dead and for the most part am now uninterested in this tiny little place.

--------------------
user posted image
We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks... ~ Hudson
Nox
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 07:16 PM

alrighty then...

--------------------
We Love Callie!

smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 07:24 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Member No.: 4

A

--------------------
QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Nov 14 2006, 09:20 PM)
Smurf, the short blue peacemaker of us all.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 10:33 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

What do you want to evolve?
D) A simple jet, to take advantage of the surrounding water to deliver a short burst of speed. (Speed +++)

I will deviate from the rest of you a bit and go for the simple jet as it will allow us to hunt with a sudden burst of speed and under the guise of surprise with our cysts (basicly pretend to be doctile prey and once *our* prey gets close enough a sudden boost of speed toward them as we lash our with our poisonous cysts)

It will also i think make for an more interesting start for creature if this is our main way of movements i think and i think it would be very intresting to have a creature that actually focus on speed and surprise early on

sidenote: if things are calm and such for us next update i'm leaning toward getting photosynthesis then as it would grant us free energy and as such allow us to stay active a lot more
Calchexas
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 10:34 PM

Crystalli

Member No.: 24

I say A. Oh sure pick D BBW be a conformist and follow Newton's third law.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 01:14 AM

I also say A. I still want to be able to get the pseudopod, but to be a successful parasite, we need to be able to latch onto our host, which means being able to catch them. Of course, catching usually requires both speed and control. Have you ever tried to catch a rabbit with a drag car? Well, I haven't, but I imagine it wouldn't be easy. Having a bunch of speed without being able to control it will only help us evade predators, not attach ourselves to a host.

@Gamgee: When, exactly, did you "topple" me? There were a couple times when we disagreed on an evolution that you won, but I did the same to you, and I would hardly call that a toppling.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 07:37 AM

Zebodi Ambassador

Its not a case of going 'full boost' and grab them as we pass, its more a matter of staying calm until prey comes within our 'jet range' then charging forward as we lash out with the cysts to stun them (Also even if we will have low control this round with my vote, something helping control is likely to show up next vote or the vote after that)

Once prey are stunned we will have little problem attaching ourselves, we would also be able to use the cilia most likely to swim close enough(incase we can't control what power we use the jet for, if we can control the jets power then its even more usefull)
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 11:44 AM

Street Shark!

I was thinking for the distant creature stage, that we should be some kind of awesome parasite which burrows into a creature's body, then grows an umbilical cord-like thing to leech the nutrients out of the host creature, like an un-invited baby or something.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (30) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »

AFFILIATES
Genesis's Affliates

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0339 seconds · Archive