zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Genesis. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (30) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Genesis - Mitosis, An experimental game.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 08:53 PM

wears a spandex leotard with the flag of communist Vietnam on it

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Head crabs are a bit carcharesque for my taste, but otherwise that's cool. I like the creature idea, Nox. It's unique enough to not have to tread over too many familiar areas.
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 06:26 PM

Street Shark!

Member No.: 1

Actually, researching back on evolution, all life started in the sea. You don't get a choice in this, so salt water it is.

--------------------
user posted image
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 06:58 PM

Street Shark!

Member No.: 1

Paramecium abeovita – ‘Changed Life’
Name: N/A
Population: 9,500
Life Span: 5 Weeks
Reproduction: Mitosis, asexual reproduction by the splitting of cells.
Classification: Protista
Description: A sporozoa, a miniscule organism with the simplest of body systems.
Length: Microscopic in length, and relatively small even to other protists.
Weight: As a unicellular organism, your weight is too small to be significant.
Current Location: In the upper half of a large body of water, where sunlight is plentiful.
Diet: N/A
Feeding Method: N/A
Movement Type: N/A

Large Body of Water Ecosystem
Creatures
Predators
Amoebas – Large amorphous blobs that engulf anything in their path.
Flatworms – Rarely spotted worms which inhale large amounts of water to feed on the protists inside.

Prey
Diatoms – Numerous but small algae-like phytoplankton. They are defenceless.

Plants
?????

Stats
Brain: 1/10
Sight: 0/10
Hearing: 0/10
Touch: 1/10
Taste: 1/10
Smell: 0/10
Attack: 2/15
Defence: 1/10
Speed: 2/15
Control: 2/15

Systems and Organelles
Short Cilia (Speed +, Control +)
Simple Nucleus (Brain +)
Thin Cell Membrane (Defence +, Touch +)
Small Oral Groove (Taste +, Attack +)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Within only relatively few generations, our protists had already been well on their way to evolving into sporozoa, a subtype of protist which lived an exclusively parasitic life. This had proven to be a decent choice for our protists, and now they could actually make use of the amoebas, instead of just being devoured by them. Along with this, the diatoms were rich in population and were virtually defenceless, leading to an slight increase in their overall population. However, this had done nothing in the way of quelling our protist's predators, and now the protists could only watch on as the amoebas and worms descended upon them with ravenous ferocity.

Not much had changed locally in the last several generations - the sunlight that reached the area had remained relatively the same, which had lead to a noticeable increase in the population of the diatoms. This had been kept in check by both our protists and the amoebas, which had been readily feeding on them now due to their population boom. This feeding frenzy of the amoebas had also lead to a population increase, which was both dangerous to the diatoms as well as our protists. The worms had also increased, but at so minuscule a number, it was barely noticeable and had not yet become a problem. Then one day, just when it looked like our protist population would never grow any larger, it happened again - a genetic mutation in a few individuals, allowing the species new hope as it struggled to survive in this harsh oceanic environment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you want to evolve?
A) A flagella, a long, whip-like tail. (Speed ++, Control +)
B) Finer cilia, hair-like organelles which are used to move. (Control ++, Speed +)
C) A pseudopod, a blob-like projection which can be used to move and feed. (Attack +, Speed +, Control +)
D) A horn-like projection, used to penetrate through other cell membranes. (Attack ++, Defence +)
E) A pair of cnidocytes, barbed and poisonous spikes which shoot out to stun other creatures. (Attack +++)
F) A pair of eye-like sensory organs, allowing basic sight. (Sight +++)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
user posted image
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 07:07 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

D. It's questionable whether it is the best possible choice but it is a must if we want to be good parasites.

--------------------
QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Nov 14 2006, 09:20 PM)
Smurf, the short blue peacemaker of us all.
Nox
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 07:09 PM

He always seemed like such a nice kid.....

Member No.: 16

E) A pair of cnidocytes, barbed and poisonous spikes which shoot out to stun other creatures. (Attack +++)

How cool is that? cool.gif

Plus, stunning creatures might prove useful when we wish to conquer a new 'host'.

--------------------
Taegril Avarial on the Elder Scrolls Forums
We Love Callie!
Bring back the assassins' RP >:(

The Moldy Olive <-- still in early development, but it's coming along
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 08:03 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

Member No.: 33

I'm gonna go with nox on this, we seem to be able to feed well enough currently so i'm gonna put the focus on making our access to food easier and more safely, I do however agree with Twitch aswell on that we need to find a way to puncture the enemy cell walls(unless our barbed spikes does that job aswell)
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 08:07 PM

I'm thinking B, C, or D could potentially be used for parasitic purposes, and personally I think a pseudopod would be most effective. It's a mouth of sorts, right? So it's our best chance to get nutrients from our host. It also has the added benefits of some speed and increase.

@Oath: I like the choice breakdown concerning how much it effects all the attributes. That will make certain choices much easier to make.

Oh, C), just in case I didn't make it obvious enough.

I'm gonna go with nox on this, we seem to be able to feed well enough currently so i'm gonna put the focus on making our access to food easier and more safely, I do however agree with Twitch aswell on that we need to find a way to puncture the enemy cell walls(unless our barbed spikes does that job aswell)

I think right there you're laying the groundwork for a land animal. Obviously, ranged weaponry doesn't work well underwater, at least in medium-long distances, so unless this is just a one time decision, you have to keep that in mind. I also don't see how it develops our parasitic qualities. It's good for offense, but ti doesn't really further our overall goals.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 08:29 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

As i see it, it helps in stunning our prey so we can get ourselves attached while in cell (also keep in mind this is the cell phase, and as such, some things will move over to creature in one way or another but not everything we choose here)

there is a few ways this could go i think

once in creature it might evolve into
1: a mouth (we need an opening to shoot the barbs so primitive teeth)
2: it morphs into a liquid of some sort like a squid (unless it has some offensive effect tho that turns it from attack to defense)
3: it retains the shooting effect which will not be very effective in water but might be more useful on land/in air
4: it never makes it into creature stage
5: If it covers our body instead of being shot out it might fasten and we got some basic defense in spikes covering our body

these are just the ones that instantly come to mind, Oathin likely would have more unique ideas

Sidenote: Should teach me not to vote when tired, my apologizes Twitch and smurfslayer on somehow seeing one as the other on the first vote this round
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 11 2007, 08:55 PM

So...what are you voting for again? I can see how the barbs would be useful after we have the mouth, but we need the mouth to be able to latch on and extract nutrients. If we don't drain our host we aren't parasites, we're glorified hitchhikers.
Nox
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 03:16 AM

Wait, does 'shoot out' mean actually fly through the water, or just emerge from our cell wall relatively quickly?

--------------------
We Love Callie!

MinotaurWarrior
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 06:30 AM

Ryleh

Member No.: 29

I was wondering that too...... but, anyway, my answer is E, unless it actually means "fly" in which case I vote C
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 11:03 AM

A more appropriate word would then be "jut" or "extend" out. You can never tell with Oath though. I still say that is not optimal for attaining nutrients.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 11:23 AM

Zebodi Ambassador

I'd assume we currently get our nutrients via our small oral groove, as such you are correct that we would mostly be hitchhikers of sorts, but we'd use em to transport and protect us around while feeding(i still want to get a proper mouth of some sort but i don't want to risk loosing this stunning attack as it will likely be quite useful for us this early)

alternatively we could try to team up with another cell and stun their food for them in exchange for some as of yet unknown way to feed off the ones we help without killing them(for now)
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 12:09 PM

That isn't parasitism though, that's mutualism. I agree having both of these upgrades would be nice, but if we run the chance of losing access to one of them by picking the other, I'd rather have the mouth. We're going to need that, and it also functions as offense, if not as well.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 02:01 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

I disagree there, we will not loose the option of a mouth, its kinda vital for us unless we think up a totally new way to feed like simply absorbing it thrue our skin, so it will reappear before to long, the stunning attack tho is a lot more 'random' in terms of being 'required' for a body and as such it has much larger potential to not reappear on later votes
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 02:17 PM

Perhaps, but this is not exactly a vote for a mouth, it's a vote for a pseudopod, which would function similar to a mouth. I'm sure we'll have the option of developing a mouth, but it may not come until creature stage, which, if we go as slow as we did with the fist creature, could be 10-15 updates.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 02:42 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

still, the point stands, if we don't develop a 'mouth' as such, we will develop a different way of feeding.

my main goal on this vote is to secure what i see as most useful for our 'long' term survival in the cell stage, and i'm more then willing to wait an update or even to to get a more proper way to eat
Nox
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 02:44 PM

I have to say, I follow Bodhi's thinking on this one. I don't want to let such a unique opportunity pass us by .

--------------------
We Love Callie!

Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 03:08 PM

Spikes really aren't that unique. We may develop another way to feed, but we have to keep in mind it needs to work in a parasitic fashion to allow us to latch on and extract nutrients, which may not come up too often. There really is no point in posting this though, we're all (myself included) a bunch of stubbprn bastards that would rather see the species die than change our minds.
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 03:24 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Member No.: 4

If we are going to be a parasite we don't really need a conventional mouth, just some way to leech life from other creatures. I'm pretty confident that we don't need pseudopods to evolve that.

--------------------
QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Nov 14 2006, 09:20 PM)
Smurf, the short blue peacemaker of us all.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic OptionsPages: (30) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

AFFILIATES
Genesis's Affliates

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0283 seconds · Archive