zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Genesis. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (30) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Genesis - Mitosis, An experimental game.
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 11:27 AM

Street Shark!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Paramecium neovita - 'New Life'
Name: N/A
Population: 8,000
Life Span: 5 Weeks
Reproduction: Mitosis, asexual reproduction by the splitting of cells.
Classification: Protist
Description: A unicellular organism, miniscule in size and with only the most basic of functioning organelles.
Length: Microscopic in length, and relatively small even to other protists.
Weight: As a unicellular organism, your weight is too small to be significant.
Current Location: In the upper half of a large body of water, where sunlight is plentiful.
Diet: N/A
Feeding Method: N/A
Movement Type: N/A

Large Body of Water Ecosystem
Creatures
Predators
Amoebas – Large amorphous blobs that engulf anything in their path.
Flatworms – Rarely spotted worms which inhale large amounts of water to feed on the protists inside.

Prey
Diatoms – Numerous but small algae-like phytoplankton. They are defenceless.

Plants
?????

Stats
Brain: 1/10
Sight: 0/10
Hearing: 0/10
Touch: 1/10
Taste: 1/10
Smell: 0/10
Attack: 1/15
Defence: 1/10
Speed: 1/15
Control: 1/15

Systems and Organelles
Short Cilia (Speed +, Control +)
Simple Nucleus (Brain +)
Thin Cell Membrane (Defence +, Touch +)
Small Oral Groove (Taste +, Attack +)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only a few million years had past since the planet's devastating encounter with a comet, totally obliterating most life on the surface. But, as with all things in nature, life began anew from the few remaining organisms that had survived the catastrophe. What was once barren expanses of desert had once again begun to return to the site of flora and fauna that once had inhabited every nook and cranny. Even so, however, the species were still few and far between.

Most races that had survived however had been microscopic, but the comet had left large traces of sulphur everywhere due to frequent eruptions as the planet revolted against the destruction of all it’s ecosystems, which had meticulously evolved and developed over the course of millennia. Just enough sulphur collected everywhere to stunt the evolutionary process in all living matter - evolution was at a standstill. However, as the aeons progressed, the sulphuric levels in many areas, especially that saturating the water, ever so slowly began to diminish. And as the sulphur levels reached near their original neutral zone, the miracle of evolution began once more.

One of these organisms to start anew happened to be a group of single-celled protists that had survived the disaster, as many other races had, by learning to adapt to allow their sulphuric tolerance to peak. Now, however, the protists were faced with a choice. The smog clouding the sun has opened up more recently, allowing for more light. The diatoms clouding the environment had yet to increase or decrease in population, but the large and predatory amoebas had shown a slight increase. The largest organisms in the environment were massive multicellular flatworms, though sightings of them had been rare. As a carnivore, the diatoms would provide ample food, but the sunlight would also make photosynthesis a viable choice.

What kind of cell are you?
A) A flagellate, protists with a long, whip-like flagella used to move. (Speed ++, Control +)
B) An amoeboid, protists that move and feed with pseudopods. (Attack ++, Defence +)
C) A ciliate, protists with hair-like organelles called cilia that help them move. (Control ++, Speed +)
D) A sporozoa, protists which are exclusively parasitic and have the ability to form spores. (Attack +, Speed +, Control +)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
user posted image
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 01:49 PM

wears a spandex leotard with the flag of communist Vietnam on it

Member No.: 2

B and D

I'm not really sure what I want this new creature to become, but I know that salt water fish tend to be the more exotic, and I think that being a parasite ourselves, instead of just having them, may be an interesting challenge.

Also, Oath, have you checked out the recent SXSW Spore presentation? The giant predator cell in the beginning reminds me so much of the alien cell.
Nox
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 04:43 PM

He always seemed like such a nice kid.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

A and C

I don't like restricting ourselves to being parasites this early in the game... unsure.gif

also, does this call for a new thread?

--------------------
Taegril Avarial on the Elder Scrolls Forums
We Love Callie!
Bring back the assassins' RP >:(

The Moldy Olive <-- still in early development, but it's coming along
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 05:23 PM

We need to have some sort of a plan as to just what we want to be. We could make an attempt at flight, or hive mind, or psychic abilities. Of course, there is more to it than that, but we need to have a general idea of where we want to take this creature so we don't end up with a jack-of-all-trades.

I think the combining of crystalli people with xivai people will be an issue when it comes to deciding how this creature will evolve. I know that after working on the xivai, I want to do something very different, something that's probably closer to the crystalli. I'm sure it's the same amongst the crystalli voters, their idea for this creature will be much more like a polar opposite of the crystalli, more like the xivai.

Schism is needed, perhaps?
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 05:47 PM

Street Shark!

Oh man, just saw the SXSW Spore presentation. That's great stuff, the cell stage definitely holds a lot more appeal to me now, though I still don't see how it affects the other stages, if at all. The creature stage still looks amazing, but I hope that he was cheating when he went from slug to double-mouthed raptor in one evolution. (I know that he cheated, but it didn't specify what)

--------------------
user posted image
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 05:55 PM

QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Apr 10 2007, 01:47 AM)
Oh man, just saw the SXSW Spore presentation. That's great stuff, the cell stage definitely holds a lot more appeal to me now, though I still don't see how it affects the other stages, if at all. The creature stage still looks amazing, but I hope that he was cheating when he went from slug to double-mouthed raptor in one evolution. (I know that he cheated, but it didn't specify what)

Yeah, I think cell stage is really just an introduction to some of the systems and a bridge so it isn't awkward going straight to creature. Evolution seems like a shop system, where everything has a price and can be both bought and sold. It's possible the prices were reduced for the demo.
BodhiBloodWave
Posted: Apr 9 2007, 10:18 PM

Zebodi Ambassador

Member No.: 33

Are you in fresh water or salt water?
B) Salt Water

What kind of cell are you??
D) A sporozoa, protists which are exclusively parasitic and have the ability to form spores.

Well who would have guessed i'd ever be in 100% agreement with Twitchmonkey on a set of votes o.o It must be a sign of the apocalypse

The main reason i'm for salt water tho is that its a lot more likely to be larger then an fresh water area once we reach creature stage, the fresh water would likely be safer in ways but adversity is what builds strength and character

On the form, i agree with Twitch it will be a challenge aswell as most likely fairly interesting which is two good reasons for it
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 09:45 AM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Member No.: 4

A and C.

I'd really like to start in fresh water this time and cilia just seems to be the best form of locomotion at this point.

--------------------
QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Nov 14 2006, 09:20 PM)
Smurf, the short blue peacemaker of us all.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 01:34 PM

Seems as though thus far cilia and sporozoa are tied, with slat water beating out fresh, at least for now.
Nox
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 02:39 PM

Sorry, changed my vote from salt water to freshwater

Although, it would be helpful to know what the majority of the planet's water supply is....

Oath?

--------------------
We Love Callie!

Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 03:14 PM

Okay, so now everything is tied with everything else. Gamgee! Fix this!
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 04:25 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Didn't we start in salt water last time? It took us freaking forever to get to land like that, fresh water will be a much quicker root. That is, of course, assuming we want to be land dwellers.

--------------------
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 04:56 PM

Wherever we are, we're in the upper half, so it shouldn't take too long regardless, so long as we decide we want to go up and don't go all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas what our creature should be like? Good? Evil? Any pictures for inspiration?
Nox
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 06:14 PM

I was hoping for an intelligent, stealthy flying predator. Nocturnal and hunts at night using a sickle-shaped piece of bone jutting out from the tail from which secretes a powerful paralyzing toxin, but in times of food shortages it has pores which can absorb nutrients and moisture from the fungus, water and dirt in the huge caverns where they live in medium-sized colonies.

Just my rough layout wink.gif

Edit: Oh, and the heat vision! Don't forget the heat vision ninja.gif

--------------------
We Love Callie!

smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 06:42 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

I have no idea yet. We're a single cell right now, its kinda hard to envision anything. Lets just kinda roll with it for now.

--------------------
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 07:02 PM

Street Shark!

The votes are ending, sporozoa can get cilia, and ciliates can become parastic, you just don't get whatever it is you want for 'free'. You might not necessarily be able to get it later too, since the evolution votes are based on the environment.

--------------------
user posted image
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 07:05 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

I'm gonna change my locomotion vote to D. I was just thinking of all the amazing things we do with the whole parasite thing (face huggers and zombies come to mind).

--------------------
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 07:46 PM

Street Shark!

Don't forget headcrabs.

--------------------
user posted image
smurfslayer
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 07:50 PM

I has a Wii!!!!!

Yeah, that too. I'm thinking RE4 zombies would be awesome. We're getting a bit ahead of ourselves though. Who knows what this new creature will end up as.

--------------------
OathinBlood
Posted: Apr 10 2007, 08:05 PM

Street Shark!

So far, Sporozoa is winning, but the water vote is a tie. I'm going to roll some dice. 3 or lower, fresh water, higher, salt water. Here goes...

1. Fresh water it is.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (30) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

AFFILIATES
Genesis's Affliates

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0341 seconds · Archive