zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Genesis. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (8) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The Official Genesis Discussion Topic, Thread 3
MinotaurWarrior
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 03:28 PM

Ryleh

Group: Members
Member No.: 29

Genious!
Gamgee
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 04:41 PM

Co-Founder of the Xiva

Group: Gamgee
Member No.: 8

What can I say except that I try tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks... ~ Hudson
Seb (sjvan0)
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 04:41 PM

Tanaxai Transformer

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I've got an idea for a bit of ranged siege weapon but it would be really more useful for launching nets onto the battlefield:

Required resources:
1 Vuelan tooth
2 extra long, thick bain ropes
1 pouch, made from Reuqata skin flaps
1 Bain net, with a large amount of sharp objects woven into it.
2 long vuelan ribs, with deep grooves cut into the blunt end.

It would work like this:

The vuelan ribs would be hammerred into the ground, preferably in a solid place that is also higher than the intended battlefield. If it isn't higher, then the vuelan ribs will need to be longer. The bain ropes, both of which are attached to the pouch, are threaded into the grooves on the vuelan ribs, with the pouch inbetween the two ribs. Then a vuelan tooth, either with a net attached to the back of it or hollowed out and filled with rotting flesh/bacteria, is placed into the pouch. Finally, a group of strong xivai pull on the two ropes, causing it to go taut and flinging the vuelan tooth onto the enemy forces/city. Since the ribs would be considerably taller than the Xivai, the tooth would be launched at an angle, giving it more height and distance.

Diagram, from a Reuqata's-eye view (tongue.gif) (ignore the full stops, I have to put them in otherwise it gets screwed up by the forum formatting):

........................(/)\....................../(\)
......................../....\.................../....\
......................./......\................./......\
....................../........\.............../........\
...................x/x.........\............/.........x\x
................. x/\x..........\........../..........x/\x
.................x/..\x..........\......../..........x/..\x
................x/....\x..........\....../..........x/....\x
.....................................\..../...................
......................................\_/

The Xivai are represented by the xs, the ribs by the prentheses and the pouch by the _. This isn't really to scale, but it just gives a visual idea of how it would work. If we could get to a cliff or something, and we were able to lure a vuelan away from the main pack, we could bombard it with vuelan teeth attached to small, spherical boulders. If we launched it right, the vuelan tooth would be pointed downwards as the rock descended, the weight of the boulder allowing the tooth to pierce the armour of the vuelan.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 05:21 PM

wears a spandex leotard with the flag of communist Vietnam on it

Member No.: 2

Siege weapons do nothing to enhance the xiva itself, so of course I do not support them, just as I have not supported them from day one. I personally think we should carve whatever bones we find and use them for grafting onto our flesh, for tips of our own teeth, and of course, for buildings. This sort of "make early human technologies but add words like reuqata and vuelan to them to make them sound original" idea is what's going to make us chair-sitting, missile-launching bitches in civilization and beyond. Why are we even bothering fighting? We should all just apply our minds to figuring out how to harness nuclear energy so we can bomb the hell out of everyone.
Seb (sjvan0)
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 05:30 PM

Tanaxai Transformer

QUOTE (Twitchmonkey @ Feb 27 2007, 01:21 AM)
Siege weapons do nothing to enhance the xiva itself, so of course I do not support them, just as I have not supported them from day one. I personally think we should carve whatever bones we find and use them for grafting onto our flesh, for tips of our own teeth, and of course, for buildings. This sort of "make early human technologies but add words like reuqata and vuelan to them to make them sound original" idea is what's going to make us chair-sitting, missile-launching bitches in civilization and beyond. Why are we even bothering fighting? We should all just apply our minds to figuring out how to harness nuclear energy so we can bomb the hell out of everyone.

The problem with that is that some foes, the Vuelan for example, are far too powerful for the Xivai, unless the warriors get a little technological help. Like I said, in regular battles the weapon would be used mainly for launching nets. Plus, it would only be useful as a defensive weapon or long-term siege weapon, since its impossible to build one in the middle of a battle.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Seb (sjvan0) @ Feb 27 2007, 01:30 AM)
The problem with that is that some foes, the Vuelan for example, are far too powerful for the Xivai, unless the warriors get a little technological help. Like I said, in regular battles the weapon would be used mainly for launching nets. Plus, it would only be useful as a defensive weapon or long-term siege weapon, since its impossible to build one in the middle of a battle.

Still, it takes away the power from our warriors and puts it into a machine, while there is still more to develop on our warriors. It's lays the groundwork for skill atrophy, and dull missile controlled battles that all play out the same. I know I can't win this one, because even Gamgee is a heavy supporter of siege weapons, but I won't support the slow death of the species by attempting to make them ugly humans.
OathinBlood
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 05:55 PM

Street Shark!

Member No.: 1

Alright, the particular Vuelan that the Xivai killed was a stunning 30-foot long monstrosity, but average Vuelan are just 8-12 feet long and weight around 2 tons. This means that their teeth are DEFINITELY NOT 12-feet long. Their teeth would be fit to be speartips, not spears, and their ribs are large enough to encompass a Xivai's torso, not be a massive seige weapon.

--------------------
user posted image
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 06:00 PM

Their teeth would be fit to be speartips

Or tooth-fittings, right?

their ribs are large enough to encompass a Xivai's torso

I like this as well.
OathinBlood
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 06:02 PM

Street Shark!

With a bit of carving, tooth-fittings, right. And horn fittings, if you get them carved right.

--------------------
user posted image
Gamgee
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 06:53 PM

Co-Founder of the Xiva

In that case I say we essamble a ram out of a combination of its ribs and teeth. Carving them up if we need to. Then we attach the teeth to the front boom a big ass voulean hunter. Then later on we can incorporate their teeth as speartips (the smaller ones) but right now with this being a bigger one we need to make that ram.

--------------------
user posted image
We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks... ~ Hudson
MinotaurWarrior
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 10:44 PM

Ryleh

OK, because this was my original siege idea after I heard Gamgee's idea and realized it'd probably be a flop, but decided to not say in case it sounded to One-up-ish, and Twitch seems morally opposed to non-graft-able technology how about we attach four males (at their waist, the tooths non-pointy end) to a tooth (of the giant Voulean in who's predatory (means the teeth don't lay on each other but more like fill in the gaps) mouth we could stand) and have them and the tooth combined act like a sort of bronze-age torpedo.
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 11:06 PM

Using xivai as a torpedo doesn't count as biotech, it just counts as pointless. Attaching some carcharas to a torpedo, however, is an awesome idea, because they would then infest the enemy colony.
OathinBlood
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 12:44 AM

Street Shark!

Hey Twitch, where's that Xivai picture?

--------------------
user posted image
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 02:23 AM

QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Feb 27 2007, 08:44 AM)
Hey Twitch, where's that Xivai picture?

Shouldn't you be asking that in the general discussion? It's coming along, but I've been busy and I just got my violin back from being repaired after months of being unable to play, so it'll have to wait.
OathinBlood
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 09:27 PM

Street Shark!

Hehe. You play violin.

--------------------
user posted image
Twitchmonkey
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 10:02 PM

QUOTE (OathinBlood @ Feb 28 2007, 05:27 AM)
Hehe. You play violin.

And you play the one-holed trouser flute. I think I win that one.
MinotaurWarrior
Posted: Feb 28 2007, 09:32 AM

Ryleh

QUOTE (Twitchmonkey @ Feb 26 2007, 11:06 PM)
Using xivai as a torpedo doesn't count as biotech, it just counts as pointless. Attaching some carcharas to a torpedo, however, is an awesome idea, because they would then infest the enemy colony.

Well then, carcharas it is. I just like human (Xivia) sacrifice
Gamgee
Posted: Feb 28 2007, 09:44 AM

Co-Founder of the Xiva

Oathin got owned on that one.

I wish I could learn to play the violin but I have no money to even purchase one sad.gif ahh well someday I shall.

--------------------
user posted image
Seb (sjvan0)
Posted: Feb 28 2007, 12:33 PM

Tanaxai Transformer

Btw, one way in which we could improve Xivai speed is by making frames of bone and reuqata flaps, and then attaching the frames to their tail, acting as fins (since Xivai move by undulating their whole body, which I assume includes their tail). As for the vuelan, perhaps it would be a good idea to avoid cutting it up just yet. We should first try examining it extremely carefully for any areas that we might be able to attack. Eg, if the Vuelan shed scales, then new scales would be softer than old ones, or there might be gaps in the plates that are exposed when the Vuelan bends its body.. We should also try testing the integrity of the scales, eg, see if they're hard, but brittle, like most bones.
Gamgee
Posted: Feb 28 2007, 01:05 PM

Co-Founder of the Xiva

That is actually a good idea seb. I vote to go along with seb and ivestiagte the corpse. Examine it and we will then be able to hunt it better.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (8) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »

AFFILIATES
Genesis's Affliates

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0349 seconds · Archive