Welcome to HelpingOthersLiveSober.org. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Club 24
helping_others_admin
Posted: Jun 6 2011, 02:09 AM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The “Helping Others Study” would like to express gratitude for the support of Club 24 (www.club24inc.com/). Club 24 provides a location for Twelve Step Meetings, education, activities, and fellowship. The Club puts out a monthly newsletter that includes stories of recovery by its members, generously shared on this forum.
helping_others_admin
Posted: Jun 6 2011, 02:39 AM

Examining my character defects at first seemed a daunting task.  I mean… I just drank too much and got into some trouble.  If I just quit drinking, everything would be all right.  This proved not to be the case for me.  Time and again I went back to a drink for one reason or another. The biggest block towards progress for me was negative fear – fear of public opinion, loss, domination, finances, etc.  I often associated fear with cowardice in my screwed-up mind.  With time and clearer head I can see where positive fear is necessary and healthy for the sake of self-preservation.  Of course fear can paralyze me from moving forward and this I cannot afford. Only with faith in something greater than myself can I move forward.

Submitted by Dan E., excerpted from Club 24 Messenger, 1 August 2009: 55.
helping_others_admin
Posted: Jul 2 2011, 12:46 AM

My ensuing years in Alcoholics Anonymous have presented me with all sorts of trials and tribulations that would test my new found relationship with God. In the face of each challenge, faith has been a choice. It was a little like stepping off a cliff for me. Before I could take the next step, I had to decide whether or not to trust God. There were no guarantees and the outcome was always unclear. In the beginning it was generally pretty small stuff, yet I still had to trust that if I took that leap of faith, I would either find myself able to fly or God would catch me.

Over the years I have been presented with so many opportunities to choose faith over fear and to go ahead and take that leap. With each experience, my faith has grown. In leaps and bounds, it has grown. I still, on occasion, search (sometimes relentlessly!) for what reason there could be for whatever it is I might be going through. But I have come to understand that there is no serenity in such questions.

Submitted by Theresa M. excerpted from Club 24 Messenger, 1 April 2009: 53.
helping_others_admin
Posted: Aug 15 2011, 01:09 AM

And once I could understand myself, I could get on with the whole part about forgiving myself. It wasn’t my enemies that needed my forgiveness–it was me. /was my greatest enemy. And that long list of resentments stood as guideposts signaling all the negative beliefs I held out bout myself. I was selfish and self-seeking. I really didn’t care much about what my behavior costs others. My alcoholism had made me rather unpleasant. And that long list of people who had wronged me took on an interesting meaning. They were–for the most part–people who I had wronged and who had reacted appropriately to my misbehavior. Not only did they not owe me anything, I owed many of them an amends.

Submitted by Molly S.
helping_others_admin
Posted: Sep 29 2011, 04:00 PM

As I stayed in AA, I began to relate to what I heard and finally realized that being powerless merely meant that I had a mental obsession with alcohol and a physical compulsion once I picked up the first drink. With that in mind, I realized that I needed help in order to be relieved of the mental obsession. It was clear that I probably couldn’t do that myself. If I could then what was I doing in AA?

-Submitted by Dave S.
helping_others_admin
Posted: Dec 1 2011, 04:51 PM

The way that AA facilitates a spiritual
experience is summed up nicely by the circle
and triangle that we often see at meetings.
Each side of the triangle represents an essential
component of the program : Unity, Recovery,
and Service. Simply put, we go to meetings
(get a home group), work the Steps (get a
sponsor), and try to be of service (get a service
commitment). Only when we are firmly
grounded in all 3 sides of the triangle do we
become whole, as symbolized by the circle.

-Submitted by Anonymous from Club 24 Messenger, Feb 2009: 52
helping_others_admin
Posted: Jan 31 2012, 10:41 PM

After having been at a retreat for several days, I realized that I needed to get back to my Alcoholics Anonymous and Club 24 roots. I decided to let nature guide me on an hour-long walk through the woods, which helped me see the beauty of creation, of God as I know him, and of natures’ peace. While walking, I pulled out a card from my wallet with the third step printed on its face. It was then I decided to not just read words from a card, but to memorize and live by the third step words. Alcoholics Anonymous is not just a book of principles, but it is a way of life in itself.

-Submitted by Steve C., excerpted from Club 24 Messenger, 1 June 2011: 66.
« Next Oldest | Shared Experiences of Living Sober | Next Newest »

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive