Prep: 30 min
Broil & Cook: About 35 min
Cost Per Serving: $1.03
The peppers may be roasted and the cheese cubed up to 3 days ahead. Bag separately and refrigerate. Prepare the salad up to 1 day ahead, adding the basil and mint just before serving.
3 each orange and yellow bell peppers
1 lb uncooked bow-tie pasta (farfalle)
2/3 cup bottled balsamic dressing
8 oz chunk fontina or mozzarella cheese, cut in cubes
1 pt cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
3/4 cup each lightly packed fresh basil and mint leaves, stacked and cut in narrow strips
1. Remove broiler pan with rack from oven. Heat broiler. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. While water comes to a boil, cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stem and seeds. Place cut side down on broiler-pan rack and broil 20 to 25 minutes until skin is charred. Place in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap or foil, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
3. When water boils, add pasta and cook as package directs. Pour into a colander; rinse lightly under running cold water. Drain well.
4. Grate 2 tsp peel from lemons and squeeze 3 Tbsp juice. Slip skin off peppers; cut peppers in narrow strips.
5. Transfer pasta to a large serving bowl. Add pepper strips, lemon peel and juice, and the remaining ingredients. Toss to mix and coat.
Per serving: 274 cal, 11 g pro, 34 g car, 3 g fiber, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg chol, 315 mg sod