FODU || DiW || Chronicle || JinC || LieStoppers || TJN || TalkLeft || FreeRep. || N&O || WRAL || Herald Sun|| GoDuke || DBR || DSE-Duke || DukeEgr93|| DukeLawSuitDuke Community Forum -> Group Of 88+ Faculty

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Duke Community Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post )

Group Of 88+ Faculty, Who Signed the Listening Statement
BD78
Posted: Oct 17 2007, 04:21 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 231

BD55, forgive me for duplicating your link from the General Discussions thread, but it so funny that it belongs here as well.

Mass suicide at Duke – Sep 4, 2007 Carbolic Smoke Ball
http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/duke.html
alice
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 09:16 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Reflections on the Piot Principles - Oct 20, KC Johnson
http://durhamwonderland.blogspot.com/2007/...principles.html

An excerpt from above post:

“Such a claim, of course, strains credulity. It asserts that 88 Duke faculty members—who included more than a dozen professors of English or Literature—were incapable of writing a sentence stating that they only referred to one specific protest; and months later, when many of the same people signed the “clarifying” ad, remained incapable of doing so. It also ignores that at least two Group members (Susan Thorne and Alberto Moreiras) admitted, in writing, that the wording of the ad did thank all of the anti-lacrosse protesters.”
Epikostes
Posted: Oct 20 2007, 06:51 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 113

This is a little dated but still quite funny:

Majority Of Duke's 'Gang Of 88' Suffering From Acute Depression Since Lacrosse Players' Acquittal
Carbolic Smoke Ball - June 25, 2007
http://carbolicsmokeblog.blogspot.com/2007...ook-out-ad.html
Emily Brontë
Posted: Nov 2 2007, 11:28 AM

Member No.: 141

Alice, this should also be incorporated into the thread: a call from DCU to the group of 88 professors to apologize. I doubt very much that they will comply but recording the request would be useful.

Click on the link below to see a pdf version of the ad. The online version of the Chronicle does not include paid advertisements.

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 1122 )
Attached File  DCU_Ad.pdf (29.56 kb)
alice
Posted: Nov 3 2007, 08:06 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

The link below was sent to me recently by another member of this board. It is interesting enough to post here. The initial post on the Chronicle had a format problem, so I am recreating it below. To read the rest of the discussion please use the link.

Duke Professor Ariel Dorfman abuses power and abilities
Jan 1, 2007 – The Chronicle Message Board (Duke Lacrosse Investigation)
http://www.dukechronicle.com/messageboard/...cc-5c625952137b

Posted by Perez on.line (Jan 23, 2007 3:37pm)

After reading the new letter posted by the concerned "88" professors at Duke University, I was shocked and dismayed to find Ariel Dorfman's name on this document that cries out about its misinterpretation. Let's analyze the tragedy of this new letter.

But first let's talk about why I can't believe Ariel Dorfman signed it. Dorfman is an internationally known writer, playwright, and professor at Duke University. Born in Argentina, he was exiled from Chile following the military coup of September 11th, 1973. His work is inextricably tied to General Augusto Pinochet. In a sense, the bloody regime of Pinochet created Dorfman the writer, this writer who has devoted his life to depicting the horrors of tyranny and the agony of exile.

Dorfman contributes regularly to publications worldwide as a commentator and journalist. He is the author of numerous books of literary and cultural criticism. He has won awards for his poetry and plays. In other words, Dorfman has mastered the written word. He knows the power of it. He writes about the power of it. He uses the power of it to make change for the good. He writes of the "perilous quest for literary justice."

And so it is Dorfman, above most human beings, who should recognize the danger of rhetoric - of this document by the 88 - that although did not overtly accuse the lacrosse players, did set a stage for condemnation and judgment. That set a set a stage to make someone pay, not for the specific incident, but for the slippery and big, baggy monsters that are racism and sexism. On this stage set by the 88, the document in its own subtle way tried and hung these lacrosse players when the masses were seething and ranting and raving for payback, for someone's head. When the public was seething and ranting and raving for someone to pay before any of the facts came to light. This new document by the 88 and their refusal to change their approach says to the world - "These lacrosse-playing students may not be guilty, but we'll sacrifice them to the greater good - to deal with racism and injustice."

I will admit that when I first heard about the case, I wanted these upper-middle class privileged white males to pay. Not for the crime they were accused of. But for being privileged. For being, to me, the stereotype of all that is wrong in America. For having opportunities that I know that I will never ever have. For the unfairness of being poor. For the struggle of being Hispanic. But those thoughts that I harbored are dangerous and they are wrong. And it doesn't take getting a PhD to know that I was wrong. In his writing, Dorfman often talks about justice, about freedom of the human spirit, about fighting injustice. For him to sign this damning document negates his entire career up until this point. In a recent Washington Post column, Dorfman writes about meeting a torture victim from Chile. Dorfman demands that the public "take a good hard look at him before anyone dare maintain that, to save lives, it might be necessary to inflict unbearable pain on a fellow human being."

He goes on to write "Are we so morally sick, so deaf and dumb and blind, that we do not understand this? Are we so fearful, so in love with our own security and steeped in our own pain, that we are really willing to let people be tortured in the name of America?" What kind of pain has been inflicted on the lives of these students who have not been proven guilty? No, they have not been literally tortured. But their lives have been irreparably damaged. All in the name of paying for the evils of racism and sexism. And if these athletes are found guilty, then maybe you can say they deserve what they get. But they have not been tried as of yet.

So Dorfman is wrong to pass judgment in any form, either overtly or with divine subtlety. And that goes not only for Dorfman, but for all of these Duke professors who signed it. These doctors at Duke are masters of rhetoric. No one better understands the power of what rhetoric can do and for them to now claim, "Oh my - we had no idea that our published document would be taken the wrong way." is absolutely preposterous. These are professors who have devoted their lives to the written word - who know that once the spoken or written word has been released in the universe that it takes a life of its own, never to be controlled by its author(s) again. And because they have this knowledge, they have an incredible responsibility and accountability for what this document created when they released it on the world during this chaotic and insane time. They cobbled these quotes together with no thought about the consequences other than to promote their own agenda. It's they they got together in the Ivory Tower and said, "Ah, dear doctors, let us type up and sprinkle down Word documents on the masses and incite their deepest fears and dredge up their deepest pain - and let's do it quickly while we have some lacrosse players to focus it on."

I resent your manipulation particularly when so many of you sit inside the walls of Duke with no idea who the suffering people really are or what their struggle is. You work on theory. You know little of praxis. And while that works at Duke, it doesn't work in a court of law. Only in your kangaroo court. What smacks more of tyranny than these irresponsible actions?

It is a deep deep shame to me to see the names of these people whose work I have admired and respected for so many years do something so very irresponsible. They should know better. Shame, shame on you.

Angela Perez
Master's Degree-Liberal Studies
Duke University '04

Responses to this post are here:
http://www.dukechronicle.com/messageboard/...cc-5c625952137b
BD78
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 09:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 231

Is this real or a joke?

http://www.sodahead.com/poll/28878/
Zola
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 06:09 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

QUOTE (BD78 @ Nov 29 2007, 09:29 AM)
Is this real or a joke?

http://www.sodahead.com/poll/28878/

Here is the answer to your question, sort of...

Fraudulent Posting?
http://ethicalduke.blogspot.com/2007/11/ba...nt-posting.html

--------------------
La verite est en marche et rien ne l'arretera.
Buck
Posted: Apr 28 2008, 11:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 230

Alice, I saw this email in the comments section of DiW a few days ago. You may wish to add it to your matrix (if you are still updating it).

From comments section of DiW:
-------------------------------------
On 2/2/08, Prof. Kerry Haynie said that the email he sent to Prof. Baldwin was as follows:

--- begin quote --

Add to Kerry Haynie
Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 11:55 AM -0400
To: steven.baldwin@duke.edu
Subject: Chronicle Editorial

Dear Steven,

I read with amusement your opinion column in today’s Chronicle. Frankly, I found it to be insulting and out of the normal bounds of both civil and academic discourse. I hope the students that you say you love so much don’t take this lesson in hypocrisy from you. They deserve a better model than this. On the one hand you criticize some unnamed faculty for characterizing students in a pejorative manner, and then you speak of tarring and feathering and running folk out of town on a rail. You ask the faculty to speak their minds and to do what they think is right, but what you seem to really want is for us to do these things only if and when we agree with you. It is this attitude that has no place in the academy, where the free expression of ideas, thoughts and beliefs should be cherished and protected. And you even had the nerve to include a thinly veiled threat of legal action in response to some alleged slander. Steven, it is you who should be ashamed.

Are you the one with the tar and feathers? I can be found at the address below and I am usually on campus everyday. And you should know that if I ever leave Duke it will be on my terms and not because you or anybody else wants to see me go on a rail.

Kerry

Kerry L. Haynie
Associate Professor and
Associate Chair
Co-Director
Center for the Study of Race,
Ethnicity, and Gender in the Social Sciences
Department of Political Science
Duke University

--------------------
“When good people in any country cease their vigilance and struggle, then evil men prevail.” (Pearl Buck)
Epikostes
Posted: May 20 2008, 10:02 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 113

I had made a copy of this exchange on The Chronicle's discussion board before it was taken down. It involves G89 member Kenneth Surin. I post it here to complete the record on Surin's views.

From The Chronicle's lax case discussion board:
Kenneth Surin
posted 1/29/08 @ 10:43 AM EST
Kenneth Surin

Roper, a legal technicality. Finnerty's charge was not dismissed, instead the guilty verdict was 'vacated', which is quite different. When a verdict is vacated, the judge, after a stipulated period of good behavior on the part of the guilty party, orders that the guilty verdict no longer remain on the public record(only law enforcement agencies will have access to it). This is certainly not the same as overturning a verdict because the original verdict still stands. Also, throwing an air punch is part of the legal definition of 'assault'.

While no members of the lacrosse team were arrested in any public affray, the Coleman Report's extensive investigation of criminal proceedings involving the team showed the following: robbing a pizza deliverer, illegal entry of another student's room, failure to show up for legal proceedings, as well as the Finnerty assault and a number of other misdemeanors.

TruthSeeker
posted 1/29/08 @ 1:54 PM EST
Well, so this time, instead of a phony black prostitute falsely accusing three men of rape in the applause of Wahneema Lubiano, William Chafe, Karla Holloway, Cathy Davidson, Dick Brodhead, John Burness, the Black Panthers and the rest of the gang, we have black athletes apparently caught in the act of hitting with beer bottles the heads of girls who happened to be in the bar.

I can envisage the next Ad signed by African & African American Studies: Romance Studies; Psychology: Social and Health Sciences; Franklin Humanities Institute; Critical U.S. Studies; Art, Art History, and Visual Studies; Classical Studies; Asian & African Languages and Literature; Women's Studies; Latino/a Studies; Latin American and Caribbean Studies; Medieval and Renaissance Studies; European Studies; Program in Education; and the Center for Documentary Studies.

Given David Graham's abysmal performance at the helm of The Chronicle, since he took over from his incomparably worthier predecessors, I don't see why he wouldn't publish the following ad.

------------

We are listening to our students. Regardless of the results of the police investigation, what is apparent everyday now is the anger and fear of many students who know themselves to be objects of black-on-white racism and violence, who see illuminated in this moment's extraordinary spotlight what they live with everyday. They know that it isn't just Duke, it isn't everybody, and it isn't just individuals making this disaster.

But it is a disaster nonetheless.

These students are shouting and whispering about what happened to this man and to themselves.

. . .We want the absence of terror. But we don't really know what that means . . . We can't think. That's why we're so silent; we can't think about what's on the other side of this. Terror robs you of language and you need language for the healing to begin.

This is not a different experience for us here at Duke University. We go to class with threatening classmates, we go to gym with people who are racists....It's part of the experience.

If it turns out that the aggressors are guilty, I want them in prison. But this will only bring resolution to this case and not the bigger problem. This is much bigger than that and sentencing them will not solve the problem. I want the administration to acknowledge what is going on and how bad it is.

Being a small, Asian man, it's hard to walk anywhere at night, and not have a mugger slowly drive by me.

Everything seems up for grabs--I am only comfortable talking about this event in my room with close friends. I am actually afraid to even bring it up in public. But worse, I wonder now about everything. . . . If something like this happens to
me . . . What would be used against me--a gun, a bat, a beer bottle?

What Does A Social Disaster Sound Like

. . . all you heard was "students who aren't black just complain all the time, all you do is complain and be racists" And whenever we try to explain why we're offended, it's pushed back on us. Just the phrase "white privilege": the blame is always put on us.

. . . no one is really talking about how to keep the victims, assaulted by some of Brodhead's proteges, central to this conversation, how to keep his humanity before us . . . the victims don't seem to be visible in this. Not for the university, not for us.

And this is what I'm thinking right now – Duke isn't really responding to this. Not really. And this, what has happened, is a disaster. This is a social disaster.

The students know that the disaster didn't begin with this felony and won't end with what the police say or the court decides. Like all disasters, this one has a history. And what lies beneath what we're hearing from our students are questions about the future. This ad, printed in the most easily seen venue on campus, is just one way for us to say that we're hearing what our students are saying. We're turning up the volume in a moment when some of the most vulnerable among us are being asked to quiet down while we wait. To the students speaking individually and to the protesters making collective noise, thank you for not waiting and for making yourselves heard.

Fearful Student
posted 1/29/08 @ 2:51 PM EST
To this list, one should add the second statement's signatories. Among them, professor Kenneth Surin. This despicable man has publicly demeaned us students. He sarcastically implied that us athlete students are intellectually unable to raise to the exalted standards of his courses. "I do not give quizzes . . . I give very hard reading."

Kenneth Surin is the man who wrote the despicable words: "in no way can condemnation of this persistent pattern of lacrosse team misbehavior be a problem for any ethically upright member of the community." Indeed, in his mind, "The Duke lacrosse team cannot be left off the hook for any responsibility for all the surrounding behavioral conditions and transgressions which, even if one were not a philosophical or religious determinist, made that March 2006 disaster virtually inevitable."

Kenneth Surin's talking about being "ethically upright" is somehow similar to Auschwitz kapos talking about the virtues of solidarity.

To those who would question why I don't give my real name. It's very simple, really, as long as Duke University does not reinforce its own policies regarding rogue professors bullying and grade-retaliating against their own students.

Mr. Surin's present efforts to gather some extremely thin record of alleged felonies marring the reputation of Duke student athletes emanates the stink of rancorous defeat. It's human nature, I guess, but this exposure of gut-level hatred, from a professor who is also being paid from my own tuition money.... again, it's despicable, and speaks extremely lowly not only of "professor" Surin, but also of the Brodhead administration which empowers such unconscionable behavior. For shame.
« Next Oldest | Member Initiated Topics | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 [3] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0290 seconds · Archive
Copyright Duke Community Forum
Site Meter