FODU || DiW || Chronicle || JinC || LieStoppers || TJN || TalkLeft || FreeRep. || N&O || WRAL || Herald Sun|| GoDuke || DBR || DSE-Duke || DukeEgr93|| DukeLawSuitDuke Community Forum -> Dave Evans

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Duke Community Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (8) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Dave Evans, Messages, tributes and information
floria
Posted: Mar 17 2007, 08:19 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Duke lacrosse case is about Dave Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann! Therefore, it is only fitting that each should have their own page on this website. This page is dedicated to Dave Evans. Feel free to contribute in any way you choose.

Selected articles about Dave Evans:
Supporters standing by co-captains, April 15, 2006 Newsobserver
Third Duke Lacrosse Player Indicted, May 15, 2006 AP
Duke Lacrosse Player Calls Rape Charges 'Lies,' May 15, 2006 ABC News
Friends, family back player, May 16, 2006 Newsobserver
Md. native charged in Duke case, May 16, 2006 Baltimore Sun
Duke Lacrosse Players Speak (Video), October 15, 2006 CBS 60 Minutes
Evans: Legal system prevailed (Video) April 11, 2007 CNN
The Smartest Thing Yet Said About the Duke Case April 12, 2007 Washington Post
That Night At Duke April 14, 2007 Newsweek
Blue Devils getting to savor experience that was lost in '06 May 26, 2007 AP
David Evans Sr. State Bar Testimony (Video) June 16, 2007 WRAL

--------------------
Nell’ora del dolore perchè, perchè, Signore, perchè me ne rimuneri così?
floria
Posted: Mar 17 2007, 08:41 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

David Evans and Parents (May 15, 2006)

Fantastic Lies!
(Video)

My name is Dave Evans, and I'm the captain of the Duke University men's lacrosse team. I have to say that I'm very relieved to be the person who can come out and speak on behalf of my family and my team and let you know how we feel.

First I want to say that I am absolutely innocent of all the charges that have been brought against me today; that Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty are innocent of all the charges that were brought against them. These allegations are lies, fabricated, and they will be proven wrong.

If I can go back to two months ago when the police first came to my home, I fully cooperated and have continued to try to cooperate with them. When they entered in and started to read the search warrant, my roommates and I helped them find evidence for almost an hour, and told them that if they had any questions we would gladly answer, to show them that nothing happened that night.

After that I went down to the police station and gave an uncounseled statement, because I knew that I had done nothing wrong and did not feel that I needed an attorney. After going through photos of my teammates and identifying who was there, I then submitted, perfectly willingly, DNA samples to the police. I then turned over my e-mail account, my AIM account, any kind of information that they could have, to show that I had not communicated in any way that anything had happened, because it did not happen. After that I asked to take a polygraph, which was refused by the Durham Police Department.

Over the past several weeks I have repeatedly through my lawyers tried to contact the district attorney. All of my attempts have been denied. I've tried to provide him with exculpatory evidence, showing that this could not have happened. Those attempts have been denied.

And as a result of his apparent lack of interest in my story — the true story — and any evidence proving that my story is correct, I asked my lawyer to get me a polygraph. I took that polygraph, and it was administered by a former FBI top polygrapher with over 28 years of experience. He's done several hundreds of sexual cases, and I passed it absolutely. And I passed that polygraph for the same reason that I will be acquitted of all these charges, because I have done nothing wrong and I am telling the truth, and I have told the truth from day one.

I'd like to say thank you to my friends and family, my coach and members of the community who have stood by us, through everything from the initial weeks to now. Their support has given me the strength to come through this. But the thing that gives me the most strength is knowing that I have the truth behind me, and it will not faze me.

If I can close, I have always taken pride in my name. I take pride in my name today, and I will gladly stand up to anything that comes up against me. I've never had my character questioned before. Anyone who's met me knows that this didn't happen, and I appreciate your support.

As for my teammates, I love you all. The honor of being voted captain of all of you — the 46 best guys you could ever meet — it's been the greatest honor of my life.

If I can clear things up and say this one more time, I am innocent, Reade Seligmann is innocent, Collin Finnerty is innocent. Every member of the Duke University lacrosse team is innocent.

You have all been told some fantastic lies, and I look forward in watching them unravel in the weeks to come as they already have in weeks past and the truth will come out.

Thank you for your time.

David Evans - April 11, 2007

There was no 'there' there!
(Video)

Thank you all for being here. Just as this saga is ending I like to say that we all got stuck on the elevator on the way down and didn’t think we will make it here, but we finally have. I like to start up by thanking the Attorney General and the special prosecutors for their diligent and professional job of reviewing the case files. It has been 395 days since this nightmare began and finally today it has come to a closure.

From the very beginning, many of the men sitting at this table including myself, Reade and Collin said that we are innocent. And we are just as innocent today as we were back then. Nothing is changed. Facts don’t change and we’ve never wavered on our story. I would also like to thank all the attorneys at the table before I get into anything. They worked tirelessly. We have become family and we owe them our lives. And that’s the most I can say. I like to give them a hand, one more time.

In addition, I‘ve got many other “thank you”s and I could never get to them all. My parents and sister, Lord knows, I put them through hell and back. Their support has let me remember and stay true to who I am in the face of tremendous scrutiny, speculation and outright fantastic lies. When things were being said about me by people who never have met me, and never cared to interview me, they kept me close. This could have separated us all, but we stayed close and became a stronger family because of it. I don’t take lightly the fact that their hard work, their success and their sacrifice allowed me to be represented by such fine lawyers. Many people across this country, across this state, would not have the opportunity that we did. This could have simply been brushed underneath the rug in another case and some innocent person would end up in jail for their entire life. It’s just not right and I thank God everyday that my parents have worked as hard as they have. Thank you! Hugs and kisses.

I’d like to thank all the members of the Duke University lacrosse teams, men and women, who stuck together. We know who we are. A great disservice has been done to the sport of lacrosse through this whole thing. The stereotypes are just not true. They sell magazines, they sell newspapers, but they are not anything that represent us as a sport, as a school, as a university, or as a team. And, they are wrong. Along those lines I’d like to thank my coach Mike Pressler who has sacrificed everything, 16 years he spent building a team. He fell on the sword so that we could continue as a team at the university that he loved. We owe him everything. I know he is out there.     

I can say over the past year I have gotten to know Reade, Collin and their families very well. You couldn’t find two more incredible boys, men -- people don’t like us being referred to as boys. We are men and we accept responsibility for that. I could never have imagined what they have gone through. I was indicted the day after my graduation. As difficult as that weekend was, finding out on Friday I was going to be indicted on Monday, I had reached a point in my life where I could take some time off and reflect. I still worked; I did not want to have idle hands. But these boys were ripped out of school. The team that they loved, their friends, everything that they ever worked for was taken away from them based on lies. Now, they will try to gain whatever they had before -- a university that supports them, their education most importantly. I can tell you they are exceptional students, exceptional athletes and exceptional young men who are mature vastly beyond their years. I hope that universities across this country realize that they are true assets. I hope you come to them and offer some kind of support and aid. All they want to do is to go school and graduate. I had that honor. Let’s just hope that they can as well.

I’d like to say once again, I said it a long time ago. These allegations are false. These charges were false and should never have been brought against us. We fully cooperated. From the beginning there was never a “blue wall of silence!” Look at the facts of the case and you will see that. It’s painful to remember what we went through in those first days. It’s a testament to all our character that we never lashed out; we stood there strong. If you want to know what character is, walk around a campus and see a photo of yourself with “castrate” signs on it; and people in the media relating you to Hitler and other terrible people in history -- when you have done nothing wrong. That is character, to sit there and take that as the young men in the Duke University lacrosse team did.

I hope that something good can come from this past year that was robbed from our lives. All of the members of the Duke University lacrosse team have gone to hell and back! I hope, all of us here, sincerely hope that it was not in vein. First and foremost, I hope that people can realize innocent people can be charged with crimes and it is up to the justice system to determine guilt or innocence, not the news, not speculators, and not people with some other agenda. That’s why there is a legal system. Today, the legal system has prevailed.

Secondly, I hope that the state of North Carolina can address what arose from our case: most notably, the grand jury procedures. They are a check on the power of the prosecutor and in this state there are no records. What was used to secure indictments against the three of us? We have no idea. The evidence shows that exculpatory evidence was there but we cannot go back and understand why we were indicted. There was no ‘there’ there. There was no factual evidence. It was speculation. We do not know. How can we, as a country, in the legal system control the people who are suppose to enforce it? If they can simply say whatever they want to say, produce whatever they want to produce, and nobody else has an opportunity to see or ever question it? I hope that the state assembly can address that. I know they addressing some other issues as it relates to this.

In closing, I am excited to get on with my life. It has been a long year, longer than you could ever imagine. I hope these allegations don’t come to define me. I hope that the way I could be remembered is sticking up for my name, my family and my team against impossible odds. Impossible odds, the entire country against us! And we fought back for our names. You can never tell what life is going to give you, what curve balls! You can be judged on how you handled the situation that was brought to you.  My family and I can sleep at night knowing that I did everything that I was told to do. I never lied. I fully cooperated, starting the day after the party. I can walk my head high and sleep at night knowing that I could not have done anything else to prove my innocence. This day has been coming for a long time.

Again, I like to thank professionalism of the Attorney General’s office for giving me back my life. I look forward to leading it. Thank you!                          

--------------------
Nell’ora del dolore perchè, perchè, Signore, perchè me ne rimuneri così?
BlueDevil55
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 09:42 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 102

Tomorrow is Dave Evans' birthday. If the dismissal happenned today, it would have made a great birthday present! However, next week will still be fine.

Happy birthday Dave! Stay strong, this ordeal is almost over.
LandonParent04
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 11:20 AM

Member No.: 219

Happy birthday Dave! Hopefully, next year this time, this hoax will be a distant memory. Better days are ahead.

Have a great day tomorrow!
K.P.
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 02:58 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID

I hope you enjoy your special day.

--------------------
Reade Seligmann--My reputation is mine to destroy and no one else.
Emily Brontë
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 03:20 PM

Member No.: 141

I dedicate this poem to Dave Evans and wish him well on his 24th birthday.

Truth Never Dies
by Unknown Author

Truth never dies. The ages come and go.
The mountains wear away, the stars retire.
Destruction lays earth’s mighty cities low;
And empires, states and dynasties expire;
But caught and handed onward by the wise,
Truth never dies.

Though unreceived and scoffed at through the years;
Though made the butt of ridicule and jest;
Though held aloft for mockery and jeers,
Denied by those of transient power possessed.
Insulted by the insolence of lies,
Truth never dies.

It answers not. It does not take offense,
But with a mighty silence bides its time;
As some great cliff that braves the elements
And lifts through all the storms its head sublime,
It ever stands, uplifted by the wise;
And never dies.

As rests the Sphinx amid the Egyptian sands;
As looms on high the snowy peak and crest;
As firm and patient as Gibraltar stands,
So truth, unwearied, waits the era blessed
When men shall turn to it with great surprise.
Truth never dies.
GPackwood
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 08:53 PM

Friend of Duke

Member No.: 184

Happy Birthday David.
How is NYC?
Duke07 Mom
Posted: Apr 6 2007, 09:09 PM

Member No.: 95

Happy Birthday, Dave. Stay strong. This case is almost over.
DukeFamily
Posted: Apr 7 2007, 12:42 PM

Member No.: 229

Happy Birthday Dave! All my best wishes to you and your family.
DukeParent08
Posted: Apr 7 2007, 01:02 PM

Member No.: 227

Happy Birthday Dave! On your next birthday, the hoax will become a distant memory or a bad nightmare. Have a real great day!
Zola
Posted: Apr 7 2007, 01:26 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

Dave, have a wonderful birthday! My best to you and your family.

--------------------
La verite est en marche et rien ne l'arretera.
BD78
Posted: Apr 8 2007, 07:37 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 231

Happy Birthday Dave and congratulations to the entire team on the great win yesterday. You see, the sun may be beginning to shine.
Firefly
Posted: Apr 8 2007, 10:10 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Dave, best wishes for a wonderful birthday. Your friends and supporters at FODU are thinking of you today and wish you every blessing and success for the coming year.
GPackwood
Posted: Apr 12 2007, 10:04 PM

Friend of Duke

Big Eyes

Attached Image
Attached Image
GPackwood
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 03:49 PM

Friend of Duke

Dave Quote by the Wall Street Journal - On-Line Version
Justice at Duke
April 12, 2007; Page A14
"We believe these individuals are innocent." With those six words, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper yesterday ended a travesty of justice that had lasted 395 days.
That travesty has been known from the start as the "Duke lacrosse scandal." It began as a narrative all-too-familiar to those schooled in the "race-class-gender" ideology taught at Duke and other prestige universities: White male privilege, in the form of the Duke lacrosse team; black female victimization, in the person of a stripper from the other side of town hired to entertain them. Into this template came the allegation of rape, unleashed amid the modern world of media saturation that elevates instant judgments.
Mike Nifong, the Durham County prosecutor, harnessed the power of his office to this machinery of political correctness to bring charges against three of the team members and, in the process, win an election. As it is, Mr. Nifong now may face disbarment, which seems apt for such an abuse of his authority. We wonder, though, whether any analogous sanction will be meted to those on the Duke faculty who rushed to condemn the accused long before their guilt could reasonably be established.
At a press conference yesterday, formerly accused student David Evans noted that "we're just as innocent today as we were back then. Nothing has changed, the facts don't change." He's right. Facts don't change, which is why they are free. But unless we get past the narrative that prematurely judged them, similar miscarriages of justice are bound to follow.
URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117634283194267233.html

momofbuddy
Posted: Apr 15 2007, 07:47 AM

Member No.: 244

Too bad they're not so quick to press charges against Crystal Gail Mangum, huh? I wish that we could all make the past year go away for you, Dave, but we can't. We can all learn from it, though. This WILL NOT define the rest of your life. You have the strength and the character to rise above that. As Mike Nifong goes forth in his trials and tribulations, perhaps we can truly see that you have your day. Best wishes and God Bless.
GPackwood
Posted: Apr 15 2007, 01:12 PM

Friend of Duke

Probable Cause - The Other PC

Dave, you are being quoted by several sources as being concerned about your life being defined by this case.

I don't think you give yourself enough credit.

The case has sparked a national debate about what constitutes Probable Cause in the USA and I am betting that in a year or two we will hear judges talking about the Duke Lacrosse '06 Probable Cause principle of caution with additional checks and balances.

You Reade and Collin will be seen as the change agents for re-defining Probable Cause in this country.

It will take several years for us to see those changes because ...for the next year or so, people at Duke and in the wider community of Durham will be learning about the other OJ...which is Obstruction of Justice.

Don't sell yourself short.

The three of you should start reading up on these legal issues now so that you can lay claim to many of the changes that are on the way.

GP
GPackwood
Posted: Apr 17 2007, 08:05 PM

Friend of Duke

Wall Street Journal Letter
Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Richard Reay of Riverdale, N.Y. writes:
I have a suggestion regarding that last speculation about the 88 Duke professors who took out that ad against the university's lacrosse team: Have them all take courses on due process, libel, mass hysteria and totalitarianism and submit papers on how their behavior in taking out that ad represented a danger to constitutional liberty and the social compact. Then they could take out another ad apologizing to the lacrosse players, their families, Duke University and the community at large, fully explaining how their original ad was a failure of civic self-control. Failure to do any of the above would result in termination. They should also be fined an amount of money that would help defray the costs of the families' legal expenses. As for defendant David Evans's news conference statement upon acquittal -- "we're just as innocent today as we were back then. Nothing has changed, the facts don't change" -- it should be included in any future book of great American speeches.
white_fang
Posted: Apr 18 2007, 08:06 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 23

I agree GP,

Dave's speech on April 11 was more than impressive! I did not think he could top off his earlier speech "Fantastic Lies," but he actually did with "There was no 'there' there." I expect Dave to do very well in life and I wish him every success in whatever he attempts to do. He made us all prod, very proud, to be defending such a great person. Hell! He even made Duke proud. But, most importantly, he made his parents proud -- a well deserved pride they must have felt.

--------------------
A well-connected and well-financed (but not, I would suggest, well-intentioned) lax supporter!
GPackwood
Posted: Apr 18 2007, 02:05 PM

Friend of Duke

Innocent

Attached Image
Attached Image
« Next Oldest | Member Initiated Topics | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (8) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0651 seconds · Archive
Copyright Duke Community Forum
Site Meter