FODU || DiW || Chronicle || JinC || LieStoppers || TJN || TalkLeft || FreeRep. || N&O || WRAL || Herald Sun|| GoDuke || DBR || DSE-Duke || DukeEgr93|| DukeLawSuitDuke Community Forum -> General Topics ( September 2006 - April 2007)

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Duke Community Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (213) « First ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

General Topics ( September 2006 - April 2007), Used for general discussions
fodu_admin_1
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 02:30 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

KP, thanks for the tip on the WRAL live feed. I think this is the link(?):

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1271905/
LMB
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 02:45 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 126

K.P.
  Posted: Apr 13 2007, 02:50 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

It appears that FoxNews is also going to cover the hearing live, they just showed a live shot from inside the room where the hearing is being held.

--------------------
Reade Seligmann--My reputation is mine to destroy and no one else.
fodu_admin_1
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 03:03 PM

Administrator

I am not getting it on Fox or on WRAL. Did Nifong hearing start? Was it 4 or 4:30pm?
K.P.
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 03:21 PM

Advanced Member

Go to court TV they have it live I just turned it on

It sounds like Nifong is going to be toast really soon. biggrin.gif

--------------------
fodu_admin_1
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 03:26 PM

Administrator

This links should work:

http://content.news14.com/live_feed/
Zola
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 03:56 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207

Thanks mod, the last link is working.

Wow, I am doing something that I never thought I would do. Listening to legalese and actually enjoying it! This is a brand new experience for me. So far, I like the judge. I would not want to cross him.

--------------------
La verite est en marche et rien ne l'arretera.
K.P.

Advanced Member

From what I just watched off of the wral it sounds as if the motion to dismiss is going to be denied.

--------------------
Quasimodo

Advanced Member

Member No.: 34

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070412

So to Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans, the three Duke lacrosse players whose lives were mangled by an unsupported rape accusation, I say two of the hardest words in the English language:

I'm sorry.

It's not enough, and I won't pretend that it is. For the last year, your lives and those of your families have been more difficult than any of us can possibly imagine. I'll never know what it was like walking around normal society labeled a rapist. I'll never know what it's like to lose everything -- your school, your program and your life -- because of one unproven accusation.

(snip)

Not that this is a contest to see who was wronged the most, but the Rutgers women's basketball team at least received justice, because Imus was suspended and dropped by MSNBC, which simulcasts his morning show. Plenty of people are outraged on their behalf.

But who is outraged on your behalf? What justice will you receive? Will the same networks that willingly aided in destroying your reputations now give you airtime to vent your frustrations? Will Jesse Jackson now offer the three of you a free scholarship like he did the "victim," since he helped assist in your battered reputation?

(snip)

I can't deny that your race, gender and class have everything to do with how you were treated then and how you are treated now. Some people believe white men are exempt from sympathy and incapable of being maligned, so they will not swallow their pride and offer you the decency you should have received in the first place. Yes, you made an unwise decision to entertain strippers at a residence, but that just makes you guilty of being like 90 percent of college males.

Jemele Hill, a Page 2 columnist and writer for ESPN The Magazine, can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com.
Zola
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 03:58 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (K.P. @ Apr 13 2007, 03:56 PM)
From what I just watched off of the wral it sounds as if the motion to dismiss is going to be denied.

It sounds like that. That's what we were hoping for.

--------------------
K.P.
  Posted: Apr 13 2007, 04:04 PM

Advanced Member

Nifong's lawyers have just finished and now that state is speaking. She sounds like she has hit the nail on the head.

Nifong's lawyers sounded stupid and he was tripping over his own words.

--------------------
Zola
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 04:33 PM

Advanced Member

We just had a cameo from KC

--------------------
Zola
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 04:37 PM

Advanced Member

Another camoe by KC and Jackie Brown

--------------------
Zola
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 04:39 PM

Advanced Member

Motion denied. It's good we got to see Beth, Jackie and KC.

--------------------
K.P.
  Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:04 PM

Advanced Member

On the Big Story on Fox they had the winners and losers of the week. Collin, David and Reade were voted the top WINNERS OF THE WEEK. smile.gif

Nifong was in second place for the LOSER of the week.

--------------------
Jim
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:04 PM

Member No.: 56

I think the earlier analysis of Brodhead's performance being based on his background is nice. BUT there are some very strong signs that Board Chairman Steel (and maybe others on the boad of trustees) controlled the University's response. Their view was to protect Duke, even if innocent men went to jail. When their first instincts were quickly swamped by events and information, they did not correct course or do the right thing. That strong belief that Duke is more important than one or more individuals, seasoned with a healthy dose of ego, paralyzed them on the prior flawed course. Great men and institutions may have many virtues, but if courage is not among them, the sun is setting on their greatness.
fodu_admin_1
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:07 PM

Administrator

Nifong's Attorneys to Argue for Dismissal of Ethics Charges - April 13, AP
http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1271908/
white_fang
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:09 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Jim @ Apr 13 2007, 05:04 PM)
I think the earlier analysis of Brodhead's performance being based on his background is nice. BUT there are some very strong signs that Board Chairman Steel (and maybe others on the boad of trustees) controlled the University's response. Their view was to protect Duke, even if innocent men went to jail. When their first instincts were quickly swamped by events and information, they did not correct course or do the right thing. That strong belief that Duke is more important than one or more individuals, seasoned with a healthy dose of ego, paralyzed them on the prior flawed course. Great men and institutions may have many virtues, but if courage is not among them, the sun is setting on their greatness.

Jim, I could not agree more. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, they will do to redeem themselves. What can they do?

--------------------
A well-connected and well-financed (but not, I would suggest, well-intentioned) lax supporter!
floria
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:12 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

Good news continue. I just watched a report on Fox saying Nifong's motion to dismiss was denied. That is great. Nifong deserves every bad thing that happens to him.

--------------------
Nell’ora del dolore perchè, perchè, Signore, perchè me ne rimuneri così?
fodu_admin_1
Posted: Apr 13 2007, 05:16 PM

Administrator

Nifong's Motion to Dismiss State Bar Charge Denied - April 13, WRAL
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1271877/
« Next Oldest | General topics | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (213) « First ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0489 seconds · Archive
Copyright Duke Community Forum
Site Meter