We know almost nothing about the Deep Ones. Looking at them hurts you. Touching them poisons you. They obey none of the laws of nature that we know.
What is known is this: Deep Ones are native residents of between
. For thousands of years, Pern went relatively undiscovered, because dragons and riders spent only a few seconds at a time in the darkness, and this was not enough to attract attention - we were no threat, no more than a single insect buzzing around a sleeping dragon. However, after riders rediscovered the secret of 'timing it', and trips between
became more frequent and longer... Eventually they tracked us back here. They come in all sizes, but most of them are large. Very large. Do they prey on us? Or do they just want to destroy us? No one seems to know. No one knows if they can be killed, either. But they aren't immune to pain, and they can be driven back.
The Dusk - the only reason all the dragonriders of Pern aren't dead yet. The Dusk was an accidental discovery made by M'ska of green Descanth. It appears to be another "dimension" akin to between
, given its name due to the overall dimness and the fact that everything appears in greyscale. However, unlike between
, dragons and riders can survive in the Dusk indefinitely. It is also the only safe space to engage in combat with a Deep One directly... and even then, "safe" is a relative term.
Nightwatch Weyr was formed to take advantage of this discovery. The old titles of 'weyrleader' and 'weyrwoman' are more or less obsolete; the few remaining metallic dragons of Pern hide in the old weyrs of Pern while the Nightwatch deals with the more pressing threat of the Deep Ones. It is the greens and blues and browns, the steadfast chromatic dragons, who are the only ones fast enough and daring enough to face this threat head-on.
But we are running out of dragons, and we are running out of time.NIGHTWATCH WEYRhome
| new player guide
- A brand-new weyr means all positions are open!
- With the death of Weyrleader Taalo, her surviving weyrmate's hold on Weyrleadership is tenuous at best. Right when Nightwatch most desperately needs to stand united, faith in the leadership is at an all-time low. Want to step up and take a major plot position? Now's your chance!
- Eight eggs lie on the sands - the final clutch of green Matanuth. Rumors say they've been Blight-touched... But who knows?
WHAT WE HAVE:
- Small, frequent clutches, and an opportunity for EVERY member to have a clutching dragon and participate in the Hatching process. It's not even a big deal.
- A democratic approach to Pern RP, both IC and OOC.
- A new, exciting, terrifying plot, designed as an homage to survival games and psychological horror.
- Steampunk-level technology.
- Cthulhu. OH SHI-
WHAT WE DON'T HAVE:
- Word counts.
- Bronze or gold dragons.
- Sexuality or gender based Impressions.
- Canon Pern as you know it.