Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to 12ft Skiffs. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Registrations are moderated so if your a spam bot don't bother

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4]  ( Go to first unread post )

Where is the class heading
Ben G
Posted: Nov 12 2013, 01:07 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 353

Richard (and I) are in Brissy. Also check the Facebook group for more frequent activity.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139106252792011/

A good place to start is get down to a Sydney club on one or two weekends I reckon
Graeme
Posted: Dec 16 2013, 07:51 AM

Member No.: 184

From a class growth perspective, I'd like to see a designated training days.
One a month, at different clubs.
Do it after the association races, plenty of boats available. I see the point of the risk to the top boats with green crews, borrow a tail end boat. This then helps the tail end guys with boat setup.

We have daylight 'til 7pm, after the club race, stick your crew down the back for an hour. Take the new guy out for a run.

We are a shrinking group because no-one is taking on apprentices. We need away to give the new, crew or skipper some experience.

Even if we eat the 29s or Cherubs lunch, they won't buy a boat & spend months swimming around it. “It's too hard” is what we keep being told, so make it easy for them. Give them a ride & teach them. Once they have some experience, some other skipper will pick them up next season.

Currently we've lost the Bus because he can't get crew & three boats at Lane Cove struggled to get crew. All because we won't give the new guy a go.
Graeme
Posted: Dec 16 2013, 08:44 AM

For people looking at the class, cost is a factor.

We all love the multiple rigs, being able to have full pressure in wide range of winds is awesome. And I don't believe the rigs are the cost problem. When you start out you can get by with a 3 & 4. Then buy some old sails, then upgrade a mast, then get a new main. It can be done in stages & at justifiable cost (to the family accountant smile.gif ).

The hull I think is the killer. I've built up a collection of rigs over the years, but looking a $25k for a hull & fittings is daunting. To look at it loosing $15k in value in a couple of years, is a show stopper.
So I'll buy another secondhand 12, have two sets of rigs & we loose yet another boat from the fleet.

Can we go back to a home built style hull?
What would the weight penalty be?
What would be the best materials & system?

I'm guessing a foam sandwich over frames system, but I know little about boatbuilding.

I know a couple of guys who have built cherubs in their garage. So it must be able to be done & I wonder if that is not part of the attraction of the class. There would be plenty that hope to build their own.

With less hull design rules we may be a more attractive option.
ausrgpv
Posted: Dec 16 2013, 11:32 AM

Member No.: 423

Graeme,

Sounds interesting . I like the idea of training days for class growth. I'm still looking for someone looking for crew though. Anyone?
Graeme
Posted: Dec 17 2013, 07:51 AM

I'll PM you my phone no.
6 foot to short
Posted: Dec 28 2013, 10:22 PM

Member No.: 330

There are so many 12s sitting unused under houses ect. A great idia for class growth would be to find a way to get them back on the water somehow.

The Flying Fifteen Class (I know keelboat, Boo Hiss) has been doing this for a while. with multiple hull shapes before they tightened there rules, they now have three divisions racing at a national level. Classic, Silver and open. All boats start on the same line and get scored in the open fleet, But the older boats are elegable for there own trophy's.

Perhaps a trophy for the inter dominion and national championships for "Classic" 12s. Cut off at say Nash 2 or 3? Or perhaps a year cut off? That would give the older boats something to play for, and might encourage those with older boats to travel. It might also help some younger guys to take the plunge and get an older boat and upgrade the hull later.
sowanpigs
Posted: Dec 29 2013, 08:24 AM

Sowanpigs

Member No.: 7

Be interesting seeing the odd symmetrical on the water again. Be like seeing a manual up against a turbo automatic.

Paul Williams might still have his '82 model that he advertised on the forum for years. When he stopped sailing it it was in immaculate condition.
6 foot to short
Posted: Jan 2 2014, 09:57 PM

Member No.: 330

I recon anyone who shows up with a SYM boat should get a special prize. (Bottle of Rum? Free ride on the Short Bus?)
Ben G
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 04:54 PM

Advanced Member

All good ideas, just need to keep at it. There was plenty of discussion on this topic while we were at the inters and a few things came out of it.

Rigs - no one is particularly keen. For those who feel they need to reduce cost by reducing rigs they're welcome to give it a go but having just built a boat and rigs, working out stump and sail combos may have caused me a brain explosion. People are still tinkering with rigs etc. and hand me downs are a good way to go. Jas and Mel are extending a mast and making a '1.5' rig, I think using same mast for 1 / 2, just setting smaller sails for the #2 iirc.

Boats - there was talk of getting together a guide to making a 'Standard 12', so if someone is keen to buy in they can easily find out what to do; build rigs to known measurements and have a decent hull and deck layout from the start. Building a 12 won't be too different than a cherub - but the loads are higher and the hulls lighter, so you may need to take more care

Rejuvenating old boats. Particularly as Carbon hulls are so long lasting this is a great idea. Reido helped Ben de Fluiter get his boat going. The 18 footers club in Brissie has been great allowing space to work on boats, Tank Girl was built there, and Challenge homes is slowly getting birthday'ed by Brad Madders. Numerous 18's have been repaired and repainted as well.

Getting new crew - the Kiwis have their 'Tucks Bay' regatta coming up. Basically they go camping out bush, set up a marquee, drink rum at night and sail by day. The idea is the racing is not serious, everyone swaps crew and learns from each other. It forms a strong social network and gets everyone involved. Maybe we could have a similiar event (even the nationals?) at Lake Macquarie or Port Stephens for eg.

All tailenders are held up by their skill, not the boats, so another trophy for 'old' boats is somewhat misleading. Also consider an old rig on a new boat will be quite the handicap..
Ginge's hull is 15-20 years old and it just won... our boat was one of the fastest but I was happy to get a 10th.. Will Wright's L4 won a nationals with Chris Skinner driving however he placed 17th.

The Nimble trophy is a great incentive, maybe it needs more promotion.

sowanpigs
Posted: Mar 27 2015, 06:57 AM

Sowanpigs

Member No.: 7

This topic, from about two years ago, had the most meaningful contributions in years.

It is quite interesting as you reread what ideas people came up with.

I am interested to find out if any of the ideas were ever acted on and whether the class has gone forward in any way.

What do you think about things now?

Ben G
Posted: Apr 22 2015, 03:44 PM

Advanced Member

Had a good robust discussion on the facebook a few months ago. should see if I can dig it up and copy to these pages for some permanency.
I think there's a bunch of people making an effort these days which is a good thing
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (4) « First ... 2 3 [4] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0226 seconds · Archive