zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to 10 Minutes From Hell. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

MOVIE: Ghost Rider, There ain't much to spoil here...
Wugmanmax
Posted: Feb 17 2007, 12:31 PM

Total Smeg-head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Synopsis: Johnny Blaze is an "Evel Kenivel" type that makes his living off doing death-defying stunts. At night, and in the presence of evil, his becomes "the Devil's Bounty Hunter", the skeletal motorcyclist, Ghost Rider.

user posted image

Starring:

Nick Cage - Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider
Eva Mendez - Roxanne Simpson
Peter Fonda - Mestipholes
Wes Bentley - Blackheart
Donal Logue - Mack
Sam Elliott - The Caretaker

user posted image

What Works:
This film is fun. It takes the sort of 70's cheese that dominated the early comics and translates it well to screen. It's silly, and it knows it. When your hero's head sets on fire and he throws flaming chains at demons, you know you aren't in "Oscar" territory.

Nick Cage has fun as Johnny. He plays him as a carnie/Elvis type that's trying to outrun his past, and he does a good job at it. I don't even like him as an actor or a person icolol.gif, but he did well in the role.

SOME of the F/X are amazing. Really breathtaking stuff. All the flame effects are very well done.

The script makes a good use of both comic incarnation's powers, and makes a bit more sense of his origin than the comics ever did.

Sam Elliott rules.

user posted image

What Dosen't:
Eva Mendez is pretty and that's it. icolol.gif She acts REALLY badly, even for this film.

Some of the effects look rushed and cheap. I know there was a lot of efffects shots to cover, but I can't tell if they were maybe outputted to a cheaper F/X house, or if they were just the first ones completed. They needed work either way. I also have the feeling that a bit was trimmed out of the "Final Battle" due to the budget. It's a shame becasue it could have been cooler. Maybe there will be a "director's cut" down the line with added F/X if the flick does well.

Peter Fonda had BAD dialogue. Real cheesy "stereotypical Devil" stuff.

Wes Bentley and his little cronies were pretty unconvincing, and could probably use some acting lessons as well.

user posted image

Summation:

It's fun! Don't take it serious and you will like it. It's meant to be light (even for a "Dark" subject) and humorus. Don't forget that the comics are about a stunt cyclist that turns into flaming skeleton that fights demons. And the "second" incarnation of Ghost Rider transformed into his skeletal form by touching A MAGIC GAS CAP. icolol1.gif These comics have always been about the cheese, and the movie stays true to that.

user posted image

Family Friendliness: OK for 10 years and above, I'd say. The demon sequences can get a bit scary.
Also, my Dad loved it, and he is the typical "Average Joe" moviegoer.

user posted image
Bloody Thumb
Posted: Feb 21 2007, 03:18 PM

Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Group: Members
Member No.: 24

Okay.... Dan Didn't transform by touching a magic Gas Cap. The Transformation was triggered by the innocent blood of his sister which was channeled into the spirit of vengence by the dormaint power with in him. The Gas Cap had no power, it was just a triggering device. icospin.gif icospin.gif icospin.gif

Too Geeky?
Wugmanmax
Posted: Feb 21 2007, 03:28 PM

Total Smeg-head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

No, but it's still a really silly thing to have as a "trigger". icolol.gif
Bloody Thumb
Posted: Feb 21 2007, 03:32 PM

Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Group: Members
Member No.: 24

Suspension of Belief. You're thinking about it too much. icolol.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | REVIEWS! | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1290 seconds · Archive
.::A f f i l a t e s::.